Bug in Catalyst 4.8 Renders W2K System Unusable

I'm experiencing a strange bug in Catalyst 4.8 and I need help working
around it.

I was using MS FS2004 in full screen mode and decided to go to windowed
mode, then change the anti alias settings from 4x to 2x. I brought up the
ATI command center, and to my surprise the anti-alias setting was at
"application preference". I never allow that setting. I had definitely
explicitly selected 4x. I deselected application preference, then
manually selected 2x, then selected Apply.

The screen went blank. Now after Windows desktop finishes drawing, the
screen goes blank every time I reboot. This strange sequence with anti
aliasing has put the RADEON 9800 Pro adapter settings into some undefined
state I guess. I am in a Catch 22 now, because I cannot run the ATI
uninstall unless I am able to login to Windows 2000, which I cannot do. I
tried to use Terminal Services to login remotely, but that uses its own
graphics driver, and the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried to use
safe mode, but similarly the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried
installing Catalyst 4.9 but that seems to be inheriting the buggy settings,
and now when I login the monitor goes blank.

I'm sure if I could just run the uininstaller I could reset things and
install from scratch, but I don't see a way to do it at this point.

How can I reset my system and remove the ATI RADEON driver settings from my
registry?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    I don't remember ... can W2k be rolled back, or booted
    into the "last good ... "? As a last resort, I've actually
    gone in and manually deleted the offending folder. W2k
    would come back with all kinds of "can't finds", but
    then I could get in, and reinstall drivers. If you can get
    in .. in safe mode, then the driver is the problem. It
    can't load if it is not there. Best defense against this
    is disk imaging. I sure do like mine. Saves me from
    myself.

    johns

    safe mode in W2K?

    "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
    message news:XMqdnUmF6YwFccjcRVn-hQ@giganews.com...
    > I'm experiencing a strange bug in Catalyst 4.8 and I need help working
    > around it.
    >
    > I was using MS FS2004 in full screen mode and decided to go to windowed
    > mode, then change the anti alias settings from 4x to 2x. I brought up
    the
    > ATI command center, and to my surprise the anti-alias setting was at
    > "application preference". I never allow that setting. I had definitely
    > explicitly selected 4x. I deselected application preference, then
    > manually selected 2x, then selected Apply.
    >
    > The screen went blank. Now after Windows desktop finishes drawing, the
    > screen goes blank every time I reboot. This strange sequence with anti
    > aliasing has put the RADEON 9800 Pro adapter settings into some undefined
    > state I guess. I am in a Catch 22 now, because I cannot run the ATI
    > uninstall unless I am able to login to Windows 2000, which I cannot do.
    > tried to use Terminal Services to login remotely, but that uses its own
    > graphics driver, and the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried to use
    > safe mode, but similarly the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried
    > installing Catalyst 4.9 but that seems to be inheriting the buggy
    settings,
    > and now when I login the monitor goes blank.
    >
    > I'm sure if I could just run the uininstaller I could reset things and
    > install from scratch, but I don't see a way to do it at this point.
    >
    > How can I reset my system and remove the ATI RADEON driver settings from
    my
    > registry?
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    Yes, W2K has an F8 option at boot time that lets you choose from several
    different safe modes.

    --

    > safe mode in W2K?

    Booting to the last good configuration doesn't help in this case. There
    was never a blue screen of death, and Windows has no way to know the driver
    is displaying incorrectly. I think the issue is internal to the driver
    alone.

    Your idea about imaging is well taken, and I should get in the habit of
    disconnecting my mirror before any memory upgrade.

    --

    "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > I don't remember ... can W2k be rolled back, or booted
    > into the "last good ... "? As a last resort, I've actually
    > gone in and manually deleted the offending folder. W2k
    > would come back with all kinds of "can't finds", but
    > then I could get in, and reinstall drivers. If you can get
    > in .. in safe mode, then the driver is the problem. It
    > can't load if it is not there. Best defense against this
    > is disk imaging. I sure do like mine. Saves me from
    > myself.
    >
    > johns

    As an update to my post, I finally got into Windows during one boot and
    tried to run the uninstaller, and it claims the ATI drivers are not
    installed!!

    --

    message news:rvydnR5uPZc29svcRVn-sA@giganews.com...
    > Your idea about imaging is well taken, and I should get in the habit of
    > disconnecting my mirror before any memory upgrade.

    Sorry, I meant before any driver upgrade. Trying to do too many things at
    once. :)

    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com

    "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
    message news:XMqdnUmF6YwFccjcRVn-hQ@giganews.com...
    > I'm experiencing a strange bug in Catalyst 4.8 and I need help working
    > around it.
    >
    > I was using MS FS2004 in full screen mode and decided to go to windowed
    > mode, then change the anti alias settings from 4x to 2x. I brought up
    > the
    > ATI command center, and to my surprise the anti-alias setting was at
    > "application preference". I never allow that setting. I had definitely
    > explicitly selected 4x. I deselected application preference, then
    > manually selected 2x, then selected Apply.
    >
    > The screen went blank. Now after Windows desktop finishes drawing, the
    > screen goes blank every time I reboot. This strange sequence with anti
    > aliasing has put the RADEON 9800 Pro adapter settings into some undefined
    > state I guess. I am in a Catch 22 now, because I cannot run the ATI
    > uninstall unless I am able to login to Windows 2000, which I cannot do.
    > tried to use Terminal Services to login remotely, but that uses its own
    > graphics driver, and the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried to use
    > safe mode, but similarly the ATI uninstaller refuses to work. I tried
    > installing Catalyst 4.9 but that seems to be inheriting the buggy
    > settings,
    > and now when I login the monitor goes blank.
    >
    > I'm sure if I could just run the uininstaller I could reset things and
    > install from scratch, but I don't see a way to do it at this point.
    >
    > How can I reset my system and remove the ATI RADEON driver settings from
    > my
    > registry?

    This usually occurs ( blank screen on boot with ATI cards ) when Window puts
    the video card in a mode incompatible with your monitor...

    It happens alot to people with old monitors and WinXP, and you need to use
    the F8 - VGA Compatibility mode... ( Is there such an option in W2K?
    scratching head... )

    FYI

    "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
    message news:m_-dnbnvuZ9O9svcRVn-sA@giganews.com...
    > As an update to my post, I finally got into Windows during one boot and
    > tried to run the uninstaller, and it claims the ATI drivers are not
    > installed!!

    This just keeps getting worse. To review, I invoked a very serious bug in
    the ATI Catalyst 4.8 drivers by running FS2004 in 1600x1200 full screen
    mode, with 4x FSAA, then:

    1) Went to windows mode. My desktop runs at 2048x1536, and it is the
    difference between my desktop resolution and the game's full screen
    resolution that may somehow relate to the bug I have invoked.

    2) Right clicked desktop, and changed FSAA from 4x to 2x. FS2004 was
    still running in its window.

    3) At that point the screen disappears (goes black, but I do NOT lose the
    synch light on the monitor), and I haven't gotten back my ATI driver install
    to a stable configuration since. I had been using the RADEON 9800 Pro for
    over a year without significant problems.

    Now the update:

    - I found a trick to get back the screen when it disappears. I can login
    remotely using Microsoft Terminal Services, then use the ATI system gadget
    to set the desktop from my remote login. Strangely enough, the resolution
    I am setting affects only the console session, not the terminal session. I
    lower it to 1280x1024 and the screen appears again. So I've exploited a
    separate bug to help workaround the first one.

    - Once the bug of the disappearing screen happens, then the ATI drivers
    start to think they are no longer installed. Attempts to launch the
    control panel get:

    "No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not
    functioning properly."

    I am launching the panel from 1280x1024 resolution, after recovering from
    the disappearing screen.

    - Even after recovering, when I reboot, I can never get the uinstaller to
    work properly. It always comes up with:

    "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

    Twenty seconds after getting this message, the ATI Control Panel icon
    disappears from my Windows desktop. Ten seconds later, I get a messge
    that I must restart my system for the changes to take effect!! So the
    uinstaller is just partially working.

    - Even when I can recover resolution and am careful not to reset any of the
    3D settings that initially set off the problem, the screen is not drawing as
    fast as it used to. I can see the contents of individual child windows
    redrawing left to right across the window in sections, with small stutters
    between each section.

    Is it possible that when I first invoked the bug, that the ATI driver did
    something to permanently reprogram the hardware itself into a state from
    which the hardware cannot be recovered in software?

    Is there any way to hard reset the RADEON 9800 Pro hardware back to its
    factory configuration? For example, is there a jumper I can place on it,
    or take off, that would reset its internal programming?

    --

    message news:uLOdnXucz-J6lMrcRVn-tg@giganews.com...
    > "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
    > message news:m_-dnbnvuZ9O9svcRVn-sA@giganews.com...
    >> As an update to my post, I finally got into Windows during one boot and
    >> tried to run the uninstaller, and it claims the ATI drivers are not
    >> installed!!
    >
    > This just keeps getting worse. To review, I invoked a very serious bug
    > in
    > the ATI Catalyst 4.8 drivers by running FS2004 in 1600x1200 full screen
    > mode, with 4x FSAA, then:
    >
    > 1) Went to windows mode. My desktop runs at 2048x1536, and it is the
    > difference between my desktop resolution and the game's full screen
    > resolution that may somehow relate to the bug I have invoked.
    >
    > 2) Right clicked desktop, and changed FSAA from 4x to 2x. FS2004 was
    > still running in its window.
    >
    > 3) At that point the screen disappears (goes black, but I do NOT lose the
    > synch light on the monitor), and I haven't gotten back my ATI driver
    > install
    > to a stable configuration since. I had been using the RADEON 9800 Pro
    > for
    > over a year without significant problems.

    You need to use a driver cleaner to clean the registry entries so that the
    new driver install doesn't inherit the bad settings, and as I said before
    you need to use the F8 safe mode option to force VGA compatibility mode ( I
    think it temporarily forces the VESA driver on ) to bypass the bad video
    card settings in the registry.

Radeon Catalyst ATI Graphics