Csglet.exe

Hello everyone. new to pc banter but hope someone can help. Anyone know
what this is. Cant find it on google. No results on
http://www.liutilities.com either. Have Spyware Doctor 3.1 and have
removed all spy/ad ware. Checked all this on task manager but this
csglet.exe still exists. Norton popped up with the csglet.exe trying to
access internet which I blocked until I know what it is.

--
BUCKO
2 answers Last reply

    Do a search of your disk for this file.
    The following may give you a clue to what it does.

    1) Location of the file (is it in a named directory or in
    C:\Windows\system32 ?)
    2) Right-click the file and select properties. Some files have a version tab
    that gives you information.
    3) Type MSCONFIG in the Run box and look at all your startup items

    Good luck

    BUCKO wrote:

    > Hello everyone. new to pc banter but hope someone can help. Anyone
    > know what this is. Cant find it on google. No results on
    > http://www.liutilities.com either. Have Spyware Doctor 3.1 and have
    > removed all spy/ad ware. Checked all this on task manager but this
    > csglet.exe still exists. Norton popped up with the csglet.exe trying
    > to access internet which I blocked until I know what it is.

    "PC Banter" is apparently one of those sites that is siphoning off the
    MS newsgroups from Usenet and presenting them as their own
    messageboard. Not very nice and certainly not very upfront. So you
    might want to reconsider posting there. Here is information about
    Usenet and how to use newsgroups directly:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    As for your problem, whenever you have some program trying to access the
    Internet and Google produces no hits, it's suspect. Run through the
    following general malware removal steps, doing everything with updated
    tools in Safe Mode:

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy