ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card - OEM vs. retail - please h..

I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card.
And, would like some opinions about the following:

- Retail vs. OEM
- 256MB vs. 128MB
- R360 core (and 2.5ns Hynix memory) vs. R350 core (and ??? memory)
- What other options are there for this video card?

Is there a chart somewhere that
lists all the different variants of this video card?
6 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9800 video card retail

    The only thing that really matters is that you get the 256bit memory bus,
    not the 128 bit. 128mb memory is fine, 256mb isn't worth the extra money.

    Mike

    "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    > I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card.
    > And, would like some opinions about the following:
    >
    > - Retail vs. OEM
    > - 256MB vs. 128MB
    > - R360 core (and 2.5ns Hynix memory) vs. R350 core (and ??? memory)
    > - What other options are there for this video card?
    >
    > Is there a chart somewhere that
    > lists all the different variants of this video card?

    Okay, choose 256-bit over 128-bit. That's good to know. Thanks!

    "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > The only thing that really matters is that you get the 256bit memory bus,
    > not the 128 bit. 128mb memory is fine, 256mb isn't worth the extra money.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card.
    > > And, would like some opinions about the following:
    > >
    > > - Retail vs. OEM
    > > - 256MB vs. 128MB
    > > - R360 core (and 2.5ns Hynix memory) vs. R350 core (and ??? memory)
    > > - What other options are there for this video card?
    > >
    > > Is there a chart somewhere that
    > > lists all the different variants of this video card?

    Hi,
    Just make sure you differentiate between "bit" (bus width) and "MB" (amount
    of memory). Sapphire put out a crippled 128bit card a while back and still
    called it the pro but I think they changed that due to outcry.

    > Okay, choose 256-bit over 128-bit. That's good to know. Thanks!
    >

    > "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >> The only thing that really matters is that you get the 256bit memory bus,
    >> not the 128 bit. 128mb memory is fine, 256mb isn't worth the extra
    >> money.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I'm thinking about getting an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card.
    >> > And, would like some opinions about the following:
    >> >
    >> > - Retail vs. OEM
    >> > - 256MB vs. 128MB
    >> > - R360 core (and 2.5ns Hynix memory) vs. R350 core (and ??? memory)
    >> > - What other options are there for this video card?
    >> >
    >> > Is there a chart somewhere that
    >> > lists all the different variants of this video card?

    Oh yes, I gotcha ... 256-bit over 128-bit ... 128MB over 256MB.
    Thanks for clarifying though.

    > Hi,
    > Just make sure you differentiate between "bit" (bus width) and "MB" (amount
    > of memory). Sapphire put out a crippled 128bit card a while back and still
    > called it the pro but I think they changed that due to outcry.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Okay, choose 256-bit over 128-bit. That's good to know. Thanks!
    > >

    > > "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > >> The only thing that really matters is that you get the 256bit memory bus,
    > >> not the 128 bit. 128mb memory is fine, 256mb isn't worth the extra
    > >> money.
    > >>
    > >> Mike
    > >>
    > >> "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

    How long is the warranty on the retail box version?

    > Oh yes, I gotcha ... 256-bit over 128-bit ... 128MB over 256MB.
    > Thanks for clarifying though.
    >

    > "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Just make sure you differentiate between "bit" (bus width) and "MB" (amount
    > > of memory). Sapphire put out a crippled 128bit card a while back and still
    > > called it the pro but I think they changed that due to outcry.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Okay, choose 256-bit over 128-bit. That's good to know. Thanks!
    > > >

    > > > "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

    don;t know, check ati.

    > How long is the warranty on the retail box version?
    >

    > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Oh yes, I gotcha ... 256-bit over 128-bit ... 128MB over 256MB.
    >> Thanks for clarifying though.
    >>

    >> "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> > Just make sure you differentiate between "bit" (bus width) and "MB"
    >> > (amount
    >> > of memory). Sapphire put out a crippled 128bit card a while back and
    >> > still
    >> > called it the pro but I think they changed that due to outcry.
    >> >
    >> > Mike
    >> >
    >> > "Roger" <roger@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

Radeon Graphics Cards ATI Graphics