Reapply MS05 patches after SP2

If I apply service pack 2 to a machine today that had all the MS05 security
patches for SP1 applied, should I have to reapply any of these patches again
with the SP2 specific patches? In other words, did service packing make the
machine vulnerable again.

SP2 supercedes SP1 in its entirety. After installing SP2,
visit the Windows Update web site for any additional
post-SP2 critical updates.

This article lists the problems that are fixed in Microsoft Windows
XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Service packs are cumulative. This means
that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later
service packs. For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes
that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"FXGSecurity" wrote:

| If I apply service pack 2 to a machine today that had all the MS05 security
| patches for SP1 applied, should I have to reapply any of these patches again
| with the SP2 specific patches? In other words, did service packing make the
| machine vulnerable again.

Carey,

I understand that. But I am questioning whether patches that were not
cumulative in SP2, ie MS05-015, which are applied as SP1 but also require
patching as SP2. FedEx Ground does not allow WU or use WUS, but distributes
with SMS 2.0. The base of the question is if the patch needs to be
redistributed in its SP2 form if a PC is service packed or is the SP1 patch
still maintaining the patch state.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> SP2 supercedes SP1 in its entirety. After installing SP2,
> visit the Windows Update web site for any additional
> post-SP2 critical updates.
>
> This article lists the problems that are fixed in Microsoft Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Service packs are cumulative. This means
> that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later
> service packs. For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes
> that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "FXGSecurity" wrote:
>
> | If I apply service pack 2 to a machine today that had all the MS05 security
> | patches for SP1 applied, should I have to reapply any of these patches again
> | with the SP2 specific patches? In other words, did service packing make the
> | machine vulnerable again.

If you recently installed SP2, and "Windows XP Hotfix - KB88813"
is not listed in the Add or Remove Programs applet, then you should
install it again. Make sure to checkmark "Show updates" located at the
top of the window.

SMS can help detect and deploy this security update if required.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP