Installing game software for users with limited accounts

I was attempting to load a game for my daughter on the home pc that is loaded
with XP Home edition.
I could not load it as her as I would expect. Once I loaded it as
administrator it can only be played as administrator. What steps must I take
to get it so that I don't have to let my 13 year old daughter have admin
rights to my computer?
Thanks in advance....
--
Charles from Austin Texas
3 answers Last reply

    A lot of programs use installation routines that are not "multi-user aware".
    Therein lies the problem. Try placing a shortcut to the program in the All Users
    account (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs). This
    should make the programs available to all users.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Charles wrote:
    > I was attempting to load a game for my daughter on the home pc that is loaded
    > with XP Home edition.
    > I could not load it as her as I would expect. Once I loaded it as
    > administrator it can only be played as administrator. What steps must I take
    > to get it so that I don't have to let my 13 year old daughter have admin
    > rights to my computer?
    > Thanks in advance....

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > I was attempting to load a game for my daughter on the home pc that is
    loaded
    > with XP Home edition.
    > I could not load it as her as I would expect. Once I loaded it as
    > administrator it can only be played as administrator. What steps must I
    take
    > to get it so that I don't have to let my 13 year old daughter have admin
    > rights to my computer?

    What are the names of these games? I'd like to see them listed on my
    project - see .sig for URL.

    --
    PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
    Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

Games Software Windows XP