What would cause an "out of range" error message

What would cause this?

I have a 9600 pro that is less than a year old 2.0 GHz AMD with 768 ram. I
was running the ATI Catalyst 4.9 but I switched to the Omega type since I am
tired of switching drivers and have ruled out this cause. Normally it
occurred during the use of running a game like swkotor or Diablo 2, running
mIRC, and web browsing anything with a lot of text or combination of pics
and text. It was fine till after I started playing swkotor and found out of
driver incompatibility. I did play this game fine the first with no
problems when I bought this game back in February. I have tried different
monitors and a different computer but the problems persists.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:42:30 GMT, PXisdead wrote in

> What would cause this?
>
> I have a 9600 pro that is less than a year old 2.0 GHz AMD with 768 ram. I
> was running the ATI Catalyst 4.9 but I switched to the Omega type since I am
> tired of switching drivers and have ruled out this cause. Normally it
> occurred during the use of running a game like swkotor or Diablo 2, running
> mIRC, and web browsing anything with a lot of text or combination of pics
> and text. It was fine till after I started playing swkotor and found out of
> driver incompatibility. I did play this game fine the first with no
> problems when I bought this game back in February. I have tried different
> monitors and a different computer but the problems persists.

I would imagine if I got an out of range error regarding my monitor that my
graphics card was trying to display an image which was out of range of the
capabilities of the monitor. Find out what range Hz and kHz your monitor
can use and configure Windows and your settings accordingly. Be careful,
wrong frequency settings on a monitor can damage it.

What kind of monitor do you have? Normally these types of things are taken
care of automatically by Windows and I've never had this problem except
when using older versions of Linux.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

'out of range' monitor errors are just refresh rates your card is enforcing
that your monitor cannot display. Ive had this a few times - when changing
graphics cards and forgetting to lower the refresh rate. There should be a
way to make the card default to the standard refresh rate of 60hz - the
easiest way is to connect another pc (hopefully you have another pc
networked at home?) and use remote registry to connect to the offending pc's
registry and manually change its monitor refresh rate to something it can
display via its registry key. Sounds complicated doesnt it.. So the best
option probably, for you if youre not able to do the above, would be to put
another card in and hope it works it out. Or remove the card, bootup. All
the better if you have onboard video. Let us know how u go.