Which ATI card to get?

I have a PIII 1 Ghz currently with a geForce 2 Ultra. I'd like to get faster
performance without upgrading the CPU. Which ATI card would be most suited
for me? (I run games at 800x600 or 1024x768 usually)

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about which card

    Vader76 wrote:
    > I have a PIII 1 Ghz currently with a geForce 2 Ultra. I'd like to get faster
    > performance without upgrading the CPU. Which ATI card would be most suited
    > for me? (I run games at 800x600 or 1024x768 usually)
    >
    > Thanks

    Any ATI card you take will be bottlenecked by the CPU.I don't think you
    can play any of the games that were released in the last one year with
    that CPU.
    I guess you can always take the Radeon 9200 card but I don't know what
    kind of an upgrade would that be from a geForce 2 Ultra.
    I suggest you upgrade your CPU to a 2.0 - 2.4 P4 and buy a Radeon 9600 PRO.

    >I suggest you upgrade your CPU to a 2.0 - 2.4 P4 and buy a Radeon 9600 PRO

    Second that, your CPU and the GF2 ultra are a dream team, but you can't
    expect to be able to run current games without a complete overhaul. Be
    prepared to buy basically a new computer. Everything else will be a waste of
    money.

    regards, Berti

    "Vader76" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
    >I have a PIII 1 Ghz currently with a geForce 2 Ultra. I'd like to get
    >faster performance without upgrading the CPU. Which ATI card would be most
    >suited for me? (I run games at 800x600 or 1024x768 usually)

    I had a PIII 1000 that I ran at 1150Mhz with a Geforce2 GTS card. I picked
    up a used Radeon 8500 128Mb off Ebay for $60 and it gave a substantial
    performance increase. 3DMark 01 went from 6400 to 11500. 3DMark03 went from
    900 to 2000. It does DX8.1 and would run most of the newer games acceptably
    at medium resolutions and settings. UT2004 would run at 1024x768 on high
    settings no problem. Doom3 and Thief3 really taxed it, but were runnable at
    800x600 with medium settings. Stick in a 9600XT or a 9800Pro and you'll be
    disappointed in terms of performance because you'll be severely CPU limited
    as to output.

    Glitch wrote:
    > Vader76 wrote:
    >
    >> I have a PIII 1 Ghz currently with a geForce 2 Ultra. I'd like to get
    >> faster performance without upgrading the CPU. Which ATI card would be
    >> most suited for me? (I run games at 800x600 or 1024x768 usually)
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    > Any ATI card you take will be bottlenecked by the CPU.I don't think you
    > can play any of the games that were released in the last one year with
    > that CPU.
    > I guess you can always take the Radeon 9200 card but I don't know what
    > kind of an upgrade would that be from a geForce 2 Ultra.
    > I suggest you upgrade your CPU to a 2.0 - 2.4 P4 and buy a Radeon 9600 PRO.

    Too true but a faster P3 might be a stopgap until you can afford a new
    MB, CPU and RAM. I have a 9200LE on an AthlonC 1.4 w/ 512mb of DDR266
    and I haven't run into a game I can't play yet.(Hey guys, I did say yet!)

Radeon Performance Geforce ATI Graphics