Hard Core MS FlightSim users with ATI cards....question fo..

What drivers are you using?

ATI or Omega?

Did you end up going back a driver or two because FS2004 ran better?

Thanks

I use the latest ATI driver. The last couple of drivers had fixes for
FS2004 although I never had a problem. The Omega drivers add some tools for
overclocking and gaming, but the core driver is the same as the ATI driver.
I would stick with the standard drivers.

JK

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:56:44 -0700, Geofly <out@barn> wrote:

>What drivers are you using?
>
>ATI or Omega?
>
>Did you end up going back a driver or two because FS2004 ran better?
>
>Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys...The reason I was asking is the fact I
think the last 2 or 3 ATI driver updates aren't quite as good as let's
say the 4.6's. I can't really give you any proof.....I may roll back
to the 4.6's.

I'm running a 9600XT and play only FS2004.

I keep reading articles and postings on boards saying Frame Rates are
NOT as important in FS as they are with the "shot 'em up" games.
I tend to agree and many card tests seem to show ATI cards do run
FS2004 better than nVidia cards. I did read one test the other day
showing the new top of the line nVidia with AA & AF cranked up out
performed the ATI...that is a big change as ATI seems to own those
tests before.

I've always used the ATI drivers. I'm currently using the 4.9s and to be
frank I've been very disappointed with the intrusive shimmering I see in
FS2004. I had the same problem with my previous card, a 9700 Pro. This
remains unchanged with my 9800XT. The only effective fix I've discovered for
this is to smoke a spliff as a part of my take off routine.

ATI claimed to have fixed this months ago but they have not. I have no other
problems with other games, i.e., Far Cry, Doom3 etc. My system a PIV 3.0ghz,
1mb RAM, WinXP SP2.

ajc

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Try turning down the mip map setting within fs2004 display hardware settings
to 4.

"h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've always used the ATI drivers. I'm currently using the 4.9s and to be
> frank I've been very disappointed with the intrusive shimmering I see in
> FS2004. I had the same problem with my previous card, a 9700 Pro. This
> remains unchanged with my 9800XT. The only effective fix I've discovered
> for this is to smoke a spliff as a part of my take off routine.
>
> ATI claimed to have fixed this months ago but they have not. I have no
> other problems with other games, i.e., Far Cry, Doom3 etc. My system a PIV
> 3.0ghz, 1mb RAM, WinXP SP2.

"h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> ATI claimed to have fixed this months ago but they have not. I have no
> other problems with other games, i.e., Far Cry, Doom3 etc. My system a PIV
> 3.0ghz, 1mb RAM, WinXP SP2.

There's your problem, you need more ram! 1MB is definitely not enough for
those games. ;o)

h2so4 wrote:

> I've always used the ATI drivers. I'm currently using the 4.9s and to be
> frank I've been very disappointed with the intrusive shimmering I see in
> FS2004.

I've found that if I have the ATI control panel 3D custom
settings for AA and AF set at "Quality" I get the shimmering.
Changing the check "circle" to "Performance" eliminated
the shimmering.

I have AA= 4x and AF = 8x on my 9600Pro AIW card.

Paul

"Dion L Heap" <NoSpam@ThankYou.Com> wrote in message

> "h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> ATI claimed to have fixed this months ago but they have not. I have no
>> other problems with other games, i.e., Far Cry, Doom3 etc. My system a
>> PIV 3.0ghz, 1mb RAM, WinXP SP2.
>
> There's your problem, you need more ram! 1MB is definitely not enough for
> those games. ;o)

I'll buy another megabyte tomorrow. To Hell with the expense!