Tattoo

The most often asked question on the group at one time,but I cant remember
any of the answers:-

Anyway,here we go again..................My PB Platinum 2020 which still
has the original system number,Licence,restore disks etc. can't be restored
because it now has a larger replacement hard disk in it which I bought and
fitted myself. I still have the original hard drive,but that is no use
because that one forgot its identity during a format with a disk software
tool.
I watched a Mastercare technician tattoo one once by telephoning his
office and typing a number into the tattoo editor.
Now you might all say,"Why bother with all that obsolete "Bloatware" when
one is perfectly capable of installing a modern operating system on it?"

The answer to that one is, Pure Nostalgia.

Can anyone tell me how I might get it done?

"Ivor Lott" <wilf@stickinsect.com> wrote in message
> The most often asked question on the group at one time,but I cant remember
> any of the answers:-
>
> Anyway,here we go again..................My PB Platinum 2020 which still
> has the original system number,Licence,restore disks etc. can't be
> restored
> because it now has a larger replacement hard disk in it which I bought and
> fitted myself. I still have the original hard drive,but that is no use
> because that one forgot its identity during a format with a disk software
> tool.
> I watched a Mastercare technician tattoo one once by telephoning his
> office and typing a number into the tattoo editor.
> Now you might all say,"Why bother with all that obsolete "Bloatware"
> when
> one is perfectly capable of installing a modern operating system on it?"
>
> The answer to that one is, Pure Nostalgia.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I might get it done?

From my friend Simon in the UK, I hope it helps? From our Yahoo Groups site
file section: mailto:eek:fficialpackardbellusers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Elector
TATTOO PROCEDURE:

Create a Windows 98 Boot Diskette
Locate on Master CD's the folder 'DRIVERS'
From this folder copy to the boot diskette the following files:

Tattoo.exe
Shellhs.dll

Remove old HDD and install your new HDD

Power up the system and boot from the diskette into DOS and at the A> prompt
enter the following command:

Tattoo /createhsfromdmi

This will transfer a copy of the tattoo from the motherboard bios to the
hdd.

New Master CD Boot Disk can be downloaded here
ftp://ftp.pbnec.nl/pub/itemnr/6760030000/Disk1_1.exe