Ipaq 4355 owners: How liking the keboard?

a b α HP
April 25, 2004 5:56:56 PM

I saw an HP Ipaq 4355 in the flesh yesterday at Coscto.

Man those thing look and feel slick!!

Im really thinking abt buying one but would like some feedback on
current owners. Especially on how well you like that built in
keyboard?

Opinions? Advice?

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2004 5:56:57 PM

Wow did not think Costco would carry the 4355 !

I got the 4355 over the 41XX series for two main reasons. One the keyboard.
I know you can add on the keyboard to other Ipaqs, but just one more thing
to carry. And the main reason was the much larger battery (1560 maH) on the
4355. However now you can get larger batteries for the others (I think 1800
maH)

I love the keyboard. Is has good feedback (much like the old HP calculators)
and the neat looking "almost Indigo Blue" back light is excellent. Now if
you have large hands (like me) the keys are close to each other and not made
for touch typing, but my two finger method works just fine. I am finding
myself actually writing short emails, where before I would only respond. The
only thing I do not like on the keyboard, is the column that has the U,J and
K characters (also doubles as a keypad) I find the darker gray hard to read
unless the backlight is on or your are outside.
Other then that.. The Wifi is simple to use and works well, can get around
10 hours of battery life, screen is excellent and its fast.
By far the best PDA I have owned. ( and that is a large number of them
!)
Tedd

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I saw an HP Ipaq 4355 in the flesh yesterday at Coscto.
>
> Man those thing look and feel slick!!
>
> Im really thinking abt buying one but would like some feedback on
> current owners. Especially on how well you like that built in
> keyboard?
>
> Opinions? Advice?
>
> Thanks!
April 25, 2004 7:39:32 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:56:56 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>Opinions? Advice?

Initially, I really liked the keyboard, but over time found myself not
using it because of the off way I'd have to hold the PDA during
meetings - It looked like I was playing with a GameBoy. Data entry is
actually faster using the virtual keyboard, because you can take
advantage of the word prompts more easily. I haven't mastered the art
of typing on a 'thumb' keyboard with a stylus in my hand,
intermittently taping the screen - It's just not practical.

That being said, there are many other reasons you might want to get a
435x over another iPAQ. Not the least of which is a significantly
better standard battery, its small size an weight, its internal WiFi
antenna and since it's a more recent ROM, it appears they've fixed the
wake-up issue (on the 545x alarms and reminders sometimes don't go off
until you actually power up the unit, which makes alarms and reminders
kind of useless).

Overall, I'm quite happy with the unit and would highly recommend it.

A_C
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2004 11:11:06 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> I saw an HP Ipaq 4355 in the flesh yesterday at Coscto.
>
> Man those thing look and feel slick!!
>
> Im really thinking abt buying one but would like some feedback on
> current owners. Especially on how well you like that built in
> keyboard?
>
> Opinions? Advice?
>
> Thanks!

I'm finding the longer I own this model the better I like the keyboard. I
find it much faster than the on screen keyboard once you develope the thumb
typing technique that all the blackburry owners use. My only complaint is
that the back light isn't bright enough. I really can't see to use it
withouuug a light on. Other than that, this is a great little box.
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2004 1:37:59 PM

>Wow did not think Costco would carry the 4355 !

Yep! I couldn't believe it either... but it was there.... in the
Costco in St Louis anyway!

> By far the best PDA I have owned. ( and that is a large number of them

OK... thanks Ted (and others)....

Question tho..... I know there exists other clam shell type pocket
computers like the NEC. These are a different operating system
tho...correct?

see link

http://tinyurl.com/3fabu

I guess Im wondering how these tow different pocket PCs differ. And
which is better?
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2004 4:19:46 PM

I know you asked about the 4355, but... I own a 4155 and absolutely
love it. The wi-fi has excellent range. I actually bought an iPaq
micro keyboard for the 4155, which makes it very similar to the 4355,
but I don't really use the keyboard. I've found that the virtual
on-screen keyboard is easier since it performs some automatic word
completion for you, which the micro keyboard does not. The micro
keyboards are just too darned small (and I have smaller hands)!

But like I said, either the 4155 or 4355 are AWESOME machines. I
believe that they are the smallest PocketPC's to include wi-fi and
bluetooth and also the fastest!! I would recommend it without any
hesitation.

!