What software can I use to configure Wireless settings

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 30, 2004 3:26:01 PM

Other than using Windows to configure my wireless network settings, what are some recommended software products that would do this?
May 30, 2004 5:16:02 PM

I'm using an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter which came with my Acer PC. The only software the wireless components came with is wireless driver software from Acer.
If I install Intel's PRO/SET software, I would have to uninstall Acer's drivers. I would prefer not to do this.

Is there any software that would allow me to config Wireless settings without having to uninstall my present drivers?
May 30, 2004 11:01:21 PM

the software that comes with your wireless card.

"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Other than using Windows to configure my wireless network settings, what
are some recommended software products that would do this?

Related resources
May 31, 2004 2:32:13 AM

Actually you are better off switching off Windows Zero configuration, and
using the Until that comes from the manufacturer.

It is Not Windows fault, many Brands deviate from the Windows Util spec.
deeming it not useful, and at time might create a problematic connection.

With the release of XPSP2 it probably would change.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D E308C0E-F6E5-4787-93EE-5F88D3CDDC30@microsoft.com...
> I'm using an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter which came
with my Acer PC. The only software the wireless components came with is
wireless driver software from Acer.
> If I install Intel's PRO/SET software, I would have to uninstall Acer's
drivers. I would prefer not to do this.

> Is there any software that would allow me to config Wireless settings
without having to uninstall my present drivers?
May 31, 2004 2:32:14 AM

----- Jack wrote: -----

Actually you are better off switching off Windows Zero configuration, and
using the Until that comes from the manufacturer.

Well actually that's the problem .... there is no utility from Acer just the bare-bone drivers.

So if I disable Wireless Zero Configuration (which I assume I can do simply by unchecking 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'), then I still need some software to carry out this function ...
May 31, 2004 2:32:15 AM

NVM about what Zero Config is ... I found out how to stop that service
May 31, 2004 3:06:51 PM

no you don't. just manually enter the ssid, channel, and wep or wpa keys
and you are done. wzc doesn't really do that much that most people need
unless you are traveling or in an office with multiple networks or some
other complex situation.

"AJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 1169FED-BF3D-40DC-8068-6E26985E871D@microsoft.com...

> ----- Jack wrote: -----
>
> Actually you are better off switching off Windows Zero configuration,
and
> using the Until that comes from the manufacturer.
>

> Well actually that's the problem .... there is no utility from Acer just
the bare-bone drivers.

> So if I disable Wireless Zero Configuration (which I assume I can do
simply by unchecking 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings'), then I still need some software to carry out this function ...

May 31, 2004 3:06:52 PM

I use my computer both on my home and school networks ... both of which dynamically assign IP addresses using DHCP ... so I might still need some software to carry out this functionality
May 31, 2004 10:16:01 PM

dhcp is built in to windows separate from wzc. that is under the ip
protocol properties.

> I use my computer both on my home and school networks ... both of which
dynamically assign IP addresses using DHCP ... so I might still need some
software to carry out this functionality
June 1, 2004 12:29:51 PM

I use MultiNetwork Manager from www.globesoft.com, it will allow you to
create profiles with different wireless settings (and other windows
settings) that you can apply at bootup.

HTH

!