NTFS Permissions

Hi all,

Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
workgroup?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about ntfs permissions

    "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
    > workgroup?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes - the NTFS permissions are local to the file system on the machine - it
    has nothing to do with the "workgroup".
    Those permissions will be applied based on the credentials of the user
    accessing them - which in the case of a work group will be either some
    passed local credentials or the guest account etc.

    You cannot set permissions based on account only held on other machines in
    the workgroup.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
    > workgroup?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Mike,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Currently I am in a workgroup with five computers. When I share a folder all
    the other users on the other four computers can access this folder. I want
    to give access to two computers only regardless of the user logged on these
    computers. It seems that is not doable.

    Thanks again.

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over
    > > workgroup?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > Yes - the NTFS permissions are local to the file system on the machine -
    it
    > has nothing to do with the "workgroup".
    > Those permissions will be applied based on the credentials of the user
    > accessing them - which in the case of a work group will be either some
    > passed local credentials or the guest account etc.
    >
    > You cannot set permissions based on account only held on other machines in
    > the workgroup.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups
    >
    > "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over
    > > workgroup?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    It's not doable. Central authentication is only available in a domain.

    > Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > Currently I am in a workgroup with five computers. When I share a folder
    > all
    > the other users on the other four computers can access this folder. I want
    > to give access to two computers only regardless of the user logged on
    > these
    > computers. It seems that is not doable.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional
    >> > over
    >> > workgroup?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >>
    >> Yes - the NTFS permissions are local to the file system on the machine -
    > it
    >> has nothing to do with the "workgroup".
    >> Those permissions will be applied based on the credentials of the user
    >> accessing them - which in the case of a work group will be either some
    >> passed local credentials or the guest account etc.
    >>
    >> You cannot set permissions based on account only held on other machines
    >> in
    >> the workgroup.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> --
    >> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    >> rights
    >>
    >> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
    >> newsgroups
    >>
    >> "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional
    >> > over
    >> > workgroup?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

Permissions Security NTFS Microsoft Windows XP