NTFS Permissions

March 24, 2005 1:24:37 PM

Hi all,

Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
workgroup?

Thanks.

More about : ntfs permissions

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 24, 2005 6:43:12 PM

"Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
> workgroup?
>
> Thanks.

Yes - the NTFS permissions are local to the file system on the machine - it
has nothing to do with the "workgroup".
Those permissions will be applied based on the credentials of the user
accessing them - which in the case of a work group will be either some
passed local credentials or the guest account etc.

You cannot set permissions based on account only held on other machines in
the workgroup.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over a
> workgroup?
>
> Thanks.

March 24, 2005 6:43:13 PM

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently I am in a workgroup with five computers. When I share a folder all
the other users on the other four computers can access this folder. I want
to give access to two computers only regardless of the user logged on these
computers. It seems that is not doable.

Thanks again.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over
> > workgroup?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Yes - the NTFS permissions are local to the file system on the machine -
it
> has nothing to do with the "workgroup".
> Those permissions will be applied based on the credentials of the user
> accessing them - which in the case of a work group will be either some
> passed local credentials or the guest account etc.
>
> You cannot set permissions based on account only held on other machines in
> the workgroup.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Mark" <me@there.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible to setup NTFS permissions in Windows XP Professional over
> > workgroup?
> >
> > Thanks.

March 24, 2005 6:43:14 PM

It's not doable. Central authentication is only available in a domain.

!