Basic wireless networking information

My computer uses Windows XP Professional. I am about to get ADSL broadband.
The modem which will be supplied to me by my ISP is apparently a D-Link ADSL
Combo Modem DSL-302G.

My wife's computer uses Windows ME. Her computer is in a room no more than
5m away from the room in which mine is, but the two computers are not in
line of sight

Material I have read suggests that if I get each of us a USB WLAN adapter
and configure them plus Internet Connection Sharing appropriately on both
computers, she will be able to access the Internet through my broadband
connection.

If there are difficulties with this proposal or things I should particularly
check out beforehand, I'd be grateful to hear people's views.

Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about basic wireless networking information

    You could probably do it that way, but a better solution (IMHO) is a dedicated combination broadband
    router/wireless access point to share your new DSL service and get an appropriate wireless card/USB
    adapter for your wife's PC. The advantage of that is you don't need the ICS PC, ie. your XP box, to
    be on all the time. Her PC could connect quite easily via the wireless link, while your PC would be
    hardwired to the device. Plus you could use WPA to secure the wireless link. Look at this article
    from Barb Bowman, MS-MVP, about this issue...

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/03july28.asp

    Personally I use a Buffalo WBR-G54 on my home LAN.

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

    For hardware product reviews, how-to's, etc. look at these sites...

    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.timhiggins.com/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Leslie" <leslieunderscorekatz@agddotnswdotgovdotau> wrote in message
    > My computer uses Windows XP Professional. I am about to get ADSL broadband.
    > The modem which will be supplied to me by my ISP is apparently a D-Link ADSL
    > Combo Modem DSL-302G.
    >
    > My wife's computer uses Windows ME. Her computer is in a room no more than
    > 5m away from the room in which mine is, but the two computers are not in
    > line of sight
    >
    > Material I have read suggests that if I get each of us a USB WLAN adapter
    > and configure them plus Internet Connection Sharing appropriately on both
    > computers, she will be able to access the Internet through my broadband
    > connection.
    >
    > If there are difficulties with this proposal or things I should particularly
    > check out beforehand, I'd be grateful to hear people's views.
    >
    > Thank you.

    ---

    It will take 30 min. to read the collection of the following links.

    Hopefully it will help to understand the options.

    Options for Internet Connection Sharing.

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...?

    What do I need for wireless Networking?

    Ignore the prices in the links above. The same or similar hardware can be
    found for 60%-90% less.

    Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router.

    http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    Wireless - Basic Configuration.

    Wireless Security for the Home User.

    Jack (MVP-Networking)

    www.ezlan.net

    > You could probably do it that way, but a better solution (IMHO) is a
    dedicated combination broadband
    > router/wireless access point to share your new DSL service and get an
    appropriate wireless card/USB
    > adapter for your wife's PC. The advantage of that is you don't need the
    ICS PC, ie. your XP box, to
    > be on all the time. Her PC could connect quite easily via the wireless
    link, while your PC would be
    > hardwired to the device. Plus you could use WPA to secure the wireless
    link. Look at this article
    > from Barb Bowman, MS-MVP, about this issue...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/03july28.asp
    >
    > Personally I use a Buffalo WBR-G54 on my home LAN.
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html
    >
    > For hardware product reviews, how-to's, etc. look at these sites...
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.timhiggins.com/
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Leslie" <leslieunderscorekatz@agddotnswdotgovdotau> wrote in message
    > > My computer uses Windows XP Professional. I am about to get ADSL
    broadband.
    > > The modem which will be supplied to me by my ISP is apparently a D-Link
    ADSL
    > > Combo Modem DSL-302G.
    > >
    > > My wife's computer uses Windows ME. Her computer is in a room no more
    than
    > > 5m away from the room in which mine is, but the two computers are not in
    > > line of sight
    > >
    > > Material I have read suggests that if I get each of us a USB WLAN
    adapter
    > > and configure them plus Internet Connection Sharing appropriately on
    both
    > > computers, she will be able to access the Internet through my broadband
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > If there are difficulties with this proposal or things I should
    particularly
    > > check out beforehand, I'd be grateful to hear people's views.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > ---

    If all your PCs and DSL modem are within 5 meters, and
    you are new to wireless stuff (and not inclined to learn more - maybe by trial and error)
    better keep away from wireless now.
    Use simple twisted pair wires and a simple ethernet hub.
    Take 30 minutes to arrange the wires nicely.
    You will save lot of money and grey cells, and enjoy best possible connection.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "Leslie" <leslieunderscorekatz@agddotnswdotgovdotau> wrote in message news:eEc4xhtREHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > My computer uses Windows XP Professional. I am about to get ADSL broadband.
    > The modem which will be supplied to me by my ISP is apparently a D-Link ADSL
    > Combo Modem DSL-302G.
    >
    > My wife's computer uses Windows ME. Her computer is in a room no more than
    > 5m away from the room in which mine is, but the two computers are not in
    > line of sight
    >
    > Material I have read suggests that if I get each of us a USB WLAN adapter
    > and configure them plus Internet Connection Sharing appropriately on both
    > computers, she will be able to access the Internet through my broadband
    > connection.
    >
    > If there are difficulties with this proposal or things I should particularly
    > check out beforehand, I'd be grateful to hear people's views.
    >
    > Thank you.

    My thanks to those who've replied to my request for information.

    Leslie

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > If all your PCs and DSL modem are within 5 meters, and
    > you are new to wireless stuff (and not inclined to learn more - maybe by
    trial and error)
    > better keep away from wireless now.
    > Use simple twisted pair wires and a simple ethernet hub.
    > Take 30 minutes to arrange the wires nicely.
    > You will save lot of money and grey cells, and enjoy best possible
    connection.

    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >

    > "Leslie" <leslieunderscorekatz@agddotnswdotgovdotau> wrote in message
    > > My computer uses Windows XP Professional. I am about to get ADSL
    broadband.
    > > The modem which will be supplied to me by my ISP is apparently a D-Link
    ADSL
    > > Combo Modem DSL-302G.
    > >
    > > My wife's computer uses Windows ME. Her computer is in a room no more
    than
    > > 5m away from the room in which mine is, but the two computers are not in
    > > line of sight
    > >
    > > Material I have read suggests that if I get each of us a USB WLAN
    adapter
    > > and configure them plus Internet Connection Sharing appropriately on
    both
    > > computers, she will be able to access the Internet through my broadband
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > If there are difficulties with this proposal or things I should
    particularly
    > > check out beforehand, I'd be grateful to hear people's views.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

Wireless Computers Networking Wireless Networking Product