windows xp log in password wont change even in safe mode

March 24, 2005 10:57:01 PM

I was on the internet and a bunch of pop ups came up and my computer froze so
I had to restart it. When it came back to the welcome screen my password
changed and all the other accounts had passwords added on them. I looked on
this website and it said restart the computer in safe mode and change the
passwords in the administrator account. I did but that didnt work, I tried
the controluserpasswords2 thing too and that didnt do anything either. it
would change the passwords in safe mode but not on a regular login. Is there
anything I can do???
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:43:06 AM

sisterbiz wrote:
> I was on the internet and a bunch of pop ups came up and my computer
> froze so I had to restart it. When it came back to the welcome screen
> my password changed and all the other accounts had passwords added on
> them. I looked on this website and it said restart the computer in
> safe mode and change the passwords in the administrator account. I
> did but that didnt work, I tried the controluserpasswords2 thing too
> and that didnt do anything either. it would change the passwords in
> safe mode but not on a regular login. Is there anything I can do???

Are you saying when you log into the computer as the "administrator" in safe
mode, you cannot change the passwords of every other user?

--
<- Shenan ->
March 25, 2005 4:11:04 AM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Are you saying when you log into the computer as the "administrator"
> in safe mode, you cannot change the passwords of every other user?

And if the subject confused me when mixed with the body of the post..

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Log in using safe mode..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

--
<- Shenan ->
March 26, 2005 3:19:01 AM

There was only a password on my account but now on the welcome screen
everyone has passwords, and my original one changed. I started the computer
in safe mode and I tried changing my password and getting rid of the other
passwords that were added on to the accounts. Is that a better explaination
of the problem.
March 26, 2005 9:53:32 AM

sisterbiz wrote:

> There was only a password on my account but now on the welcome screen
> everyone has passwords, and my original one changed. I started the
> computer in safe mode and I tried changing my password and getting rid
> of the other passwords that were added on to the accounts. Is that a
> better explaination of the problem.

It very much sounds as though your computer has been compromised.
Perhaps someone using the computer ran a program gotten from an instant
messaging "friend" or you downloaded something you shouldn't have.
There are ways to determine what is wrong and to fix it, but they are
complex. I don't say this to hurt your feelings, but based on your
posts your skill level is probably not up to it. I really think your
best course of action would be to take the machine to a good local
professional (not a BestBuy or CompUSA type of store) and have them
sort it out for you.

Good luck,

Malke
--