Please Help - VGAsave

Got a nasty problem which i really cant figure out.

I've got a shuttle PC (SS51G FS51V1) which had onboard SiS graphics. I have
now put a Saphire ATI Radeon 9800 card into the AGP slot.

At first the card was detected and Radeon 9800 was displayed under the
graphics properties. However, there was no Display Adapter present under
system (not even the words Display Adapter) and the Cat drivers would only
install so far until saying "Please install using standard VGA driver".

So I right clicked the desktop to go to display propeties, then settings,
advanced and clicked Unistall on the Radeaon 9800 driver. I figured i'd
remove all the drivers, and start again.

On restarting the system, in display propeties i now have "Vgasave" and
<unavailable> in the adapter information. Under resources there are IRQ
Conflicts too.

To make things worse, installing the motherboard VGA drivers just brings up
"No VGA device detected", and even a Windows XP Repair has done nothing!

Has anyone please got some solutions because ive run out of ideas.

Have you disabled the onboard video in your bios settings ?

"Phillip Picon" <phill390@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Got a nasty problem which i really cant figure out.
>
> I've got a shuttle PC (SS51G FS51V1) which had onboard SiS graphics. I
> have now put a Saphire ATI Radeon 9800 card into the AGP slot.
>
> At first the card was detected and Radeon 9800 was displayed under the
> graphics properties. However, there was no Display Adapter present under
> system (not even the words Display Adapter) and the Cat drivers would only
> install so far until saying "Please install using standard VGA driver".
>
> So I right clicked the desktop to go to display propeties, then settings,
> advanced and clicked Unistall on the Radeaon 9800 driver. I figured i'd
> remove all the drivers, and start again.
>
> On restarting the system, in display propeties i now have "Vgasave" and
> <unavailable> in the adapter information. Under resources there are IRQ
> Conflicts too.
>
> To make things worse, installing the motherboard VGA drivers just brings
> up "No VGA device detected", and even a Windows XP Repair has done
> nothing!
>
> Has anyone please got some solutions because ive run out of ideas.

Have a look here :
http://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1

"RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote in message
> Have you disabled the onboard video in your bios settings ?
>
> "Phillip Picon" <phill390@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Got a nasty problem which i really cant figure out.
>>
>> I've got a shuttle PC (SS51G FS51V1) which had onboard SiS graphics. I
>> have now put a Saphire ATI Radeon 9800 card into the AGP slot.
>>
>> At first the card was detected and Radeon 9800 was displayed under the
>> graphics properties. However, there was no Display Adapter present under
>> system (not even the words Display Adapter) and the Cat drivers would
>> only install so far until saying "Please install using standard VGA
>> driver".
>>
>> So I right clicked the desktop to go to display propeties, then settings,
>> advanced and clicked Unistall on the Radeaon 9800 driver. I figured i'd
>> remove all the drivers, and start again.
>>
>> On restarting the system, in display propeties i now have "Vgasave" and
>> <unavailable> in the adapter information. Under resources there are IRQ
>> Conflicts too.
>>
>> To make things worse, installing the motherboard VGA drivers just brings
>> up "No VGA device detected", and even a Windows XP Repair has done
>> nothing!
>>
>> Has anyone please got some solutions because ive run out of ideas.

Thanks, i tried that, and it didnt work. Plus i cant find anything to
disable video in BIOS

> Have a look here :
> http://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1
>

> "RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote in message
>> Have you disabled the onboard video in your bios settings ?
>>
>> "Phillip Picon" <phill390@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Got a nasty problem which i really cant figure out.
>>>
>>> I've got a shuttle PC (SS51G FS51V1) which had onboard SiS graphics. I
>>> have now put a Saphire ATI Radeon 9800 card into the AGP slot.
>>>
>>> At first the card was detected and Radeon 9800 was displayed under the
>>> graphics properties. However, there was no Display Adapter present under
>>> system (not even the words Display Adapter) and the Cat drivers would
>>> only install so far until saying "Please install using standard VGA
>>> driver".
>>>
>>> So I right clicked the desktop to go to display propeties, then
>>> settings, advanced and clicked Unistall on the Radeaon 9800 driver. I
>>> figured i'd remove all the drivers, and start again.
>>>
>>> On restarting the system, in display propeties i now have "Vgasave" and
>>> <unavailable> in the adapter information. Under resources there are IRQ
>>> Conflicts too.
>>>
>>> To make things worse, installing the motherboard VGA drivers just brings
>>> up "No VGA device detected", and even a Windows XP Repair has done
>>> nothing!
>>>
>>> Has anyone please got some solutions because ive run out of ideas.

Len

Not a good situation... this will occur if an installation of a video driver
is puched or interrupted in progress. It appears XP "reads" the capability
of the vid card and sets up its use when nothing else is available
"vga.sav". Simular to what older versions of windows did with its baseline
VGA (looks like safe mode) driver.

The problem is XP does not want to try re-installing the driver that is for
your card once an installation of that driver is corrupted/puched. You
"may" be able to do it in safe mode or less likely using system restore.

Most modern MBs will simply disable the onboard video if there is an AGP/PCI
video card installed automatically. In the past this often required a
manual disable.

Good Luck,
Len
> Thanks, i tried that, and it didnt work. Plus i cant find anything to
> disable video in BIOS
>

> "RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote in message
>> Have a look here :
>> http://www.subwolf.org/v2/articles.php?article=1
>>

>> "RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote in message
>>> Have you disabled the onboard video in your bios settings ?
>>>
>>> "Phillip Picon" <phill390@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Hi Len,

Yes, its a very tricky situation. Nothing will make it go away. Cant even
reload the motherboard drivers as it says "No VGA device detected" you just
cant get anywhere. Probably going to have to re-install XP. I hope that
works!!!