My Computer Icon

March 25, 2005 1:39:09 PM

The "My Computer" icon on my desktop has disappeared. No big deal... I right
clicked the Desktop, then clicked on Properties, then clicked on the Desktop
tab, then clicked Customize Desktop so that I could put a checkmark to
display My Computer.

Now it gets strange. The My Computer is greyed out so that I cannot put a
checkmark. How can I get the My Computer back on my Desktop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

More about : computer icon

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:58:00 PM

Read the instructions at the top
Scroll down to
276. Enable/Disable My Computer Icon
---

XP Pro?? Group Policy.

Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>
Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
Double click: Remove My Computer icon on the desktop, in the right hand pane
| Setting tab | Check: ? Not Configured | Apply | OK

If Enabled this setting grays out (makes unavailable) ? My Computer in >>
Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop Tab | Customize Desktop button

[[This setting hides My Computer from the desktop and from the new Start
menu. It also hides links to My Computer in the Web view of all Explorer
windows, and it hides My Computer in the Explorer folder tree pane. If the
user navigates into My Computer via the "Up" button while this setting is
enabled, they view an empty My Computer folder. This setting allows
administrators to restrict their users from seeing My Computer in the shell
namespace, allowing them to present their users with a simpler desktop
environment.

If you enable this setting, My Computer is hidden on the desktop, the new
Start menu, the Explorer folder tree pane, and the Explorer Web views. If
the user manages to navigate to My Computer, the folder will be empty.

If you disable this setting, My Computer is displayed as usual, appearing as
normal on the desktop, Start menu, folder tree pane, and Web views, unless
restricted by another setting.

If you do not configure this setting, the default is to display My Computer
as usual.

Note: Hiding My Computer and its contents does not hide the contents of the
child folders of My Computer. For example, if the users navigate into one of
their hard drives, they see all of their folders and files there, even if
this setting is enabled. ]]

Or you can...
Start | Run | regedit | OK |

Navigate to >>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
REG_DWORD
0x0000000 (0)

0 = My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.

Set to 0.

Or..........
Delete the key >>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:498774D5-B87A-4306-BAAD-AD40427E82DE@microsoft.com,
Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> The "My Computer" icon on my desktop has disappeared. No big deal...
> I right clicked the Desktop, then clicked on Properties, then clicked
> on the Desktop tab, then clicked Customize Desktop so that I could
> put a checkmark to display My Computer.
>
> Now it gets strange. The My Computer is greyed out so that I cannot
> put a checkmark. How can I get the My Computer back on my Desktop?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rick
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:57:02 PM

Thank you Wesley... Your post was helpfull and I did get "My Computer" icon
back.

When I double click on "My Computer", it is blank. How can I recover the
drives so that they are displayed.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Rick

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> 1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
>
> Set to 0.
>
> Or..........
> Delete the key >>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:498774D5-B87A-4306-BAAD-AD40427E82DE@microsoft.com,
> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > The "My Computer" icon on my desktop has disappeared. No big deal...
> > I right clicked the Desktop, then clicked on Properties, then clicked
> > on the Desktop tab, then clicked Customize Desktop so that I could
> > put a checkmark to display My Computer.
> >
> > Now it gets strange. The My Computer is greyed out so that I cannot
> > put a checkmark. How can I get the My Computer back on my Desktop?

March 25, 2005 11:44:05 PM

Rick,

207. Right hand side
Restore Properties - My Computer & Documents

This applies to XP also if you have TweakUI...
Missing Drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191579

The Floppy Disk Drive Is Missing From the My Computer Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812489

Floppy Disk Drive Does Not Appear in the My Computer Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;817196

My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

If XP Pro check these settings in Group Policy.

Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |

Navigate to >>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
Windows Explorer\
Hide these specified drives in My Computer

[[Removes the icons representing selected drives from My Computer and
Windows Explorer. Also, the drive letters representing the selected drives
do not appear in the standard Open dialog box.

This policy removes the drive icons. Users can still gain access to drive
contents by using other methods, such as by typing the path to a directory
on the drive in the Map Network Drive dialog box, in the Run dialog box, or
in a command window.]]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDrives
-----

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
Windows Explorer\
Prevent access to drives from My Computer

[[Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of
selected drives.

If you enable this policy, users cannot view the contents of the selected
drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer. Also, they cannot use the Run
dialog box, the Map Network Drive dialog box, or the Dir command to view the
directories on these drives.

The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but
if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a policy
prevents the action.]]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoViewOnDrive

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D A56B816-83C8-4836-8AF2-1C7DF9F19DA9@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> 1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
>>
>> Set to 0.
>>
>> Or..........
>> Delete the key >>

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:498774D5-B87A-4306-BAAD-AD40427E82DE@microsoft.com,
>> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> The "My Computer" icon on my desktop has disappeared. No big deal...
>>> I right clicked the Desktop, then clicked on Properties, then
>>> clicked on the Desktop tab, then clicked Customize Desktop so that
>>> I could put a checkmark to display My Computer.
>>>
>>> Now it gets strange. The My Computer is greyed out so that I cannot
>>> put a checkmark. How can I get the My Computer back on my Desktop?

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:47:02 PM

Thanks again Wesley...

Your suggestions did not work. I can see all the drives in Explorer, I just
can see anything when I double click on the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
Another odd thing is that nothing happen when I double click on System in the
Control Panel.

I don't know what happened my to PC. It was working great a couple of days
ago and all of a sudden, I have a lot of issues.

I have checked and double checked for viruses or spyware. There are none. I
wonder what changed all my system settings?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Rick

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Computer as usual.
> >>
> >> Note: Hiding My Computer and its contents does not hide the contents
> >> of the child folders of My Computer. For example, if the users
> >> navigate into one of their hard drives, they see all of their
> >> folders and files there, even if this setting is enabled. ]]
> >>
> >> Or you can...
> >> Start | Run | regedit | OK |
> >>
> >> Navigate to >>
> >>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
> >> {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
> >> REG_DWORD
> >> 0x0000000 (0)
> >>
> >> 0 = My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
> >> 1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
> >>
> >> Set to 0.
> >>
> >> Or..........
> >> Delete the key >>
> >>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:14:03 AM

Rick,

I don't use it, but you might want to look at System Restore.

Here are some links...

Accessing System Restore

System Restore overview

To create a Restore Point

To select a restore point

Understanding System Restore

Using the System Restore Wizard

How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9F3CCAE9-55A9-401D-9B9C-57165D495F8B@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> explaining that a policy prevents the action.]]
>>
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
>> CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>> NoViewOnDrive
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:D A56B816-83C8-4836-8AF2-1C7DF9F19DA9@microsoft.com,
>> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thank you Wesley... Your post was helpfull and I did get "My
>>> Computer" icon back.
>>>
>>> When I double click on "My Computer", it is blank. How can I recover
>>> the drives so that they are displayed.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any replies.
>>>
>>> Rick

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:41:01 PM

Thanks Wesley...

Like you, I do not use System Restore either. I ended up doing a comple
reformat. It was due anyway. This time I created a Ghost image so that I at
least have a new baseline if my PC takes a dump again.

THanks for all your help...

BTW: Do you know how I can kill that nagging balloon tip from Windows
security where it tells me that I do not have Automatic Updates on.

Thanks...

Rick

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> cannot use the Run dialog box, the Map Network Drive dialog box, or
> >> the Dir command to view the directories on these drives.
> >>
> >> The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My
> >> Computer, but if users double-click the icons, a message appears
> >> explaining that a policy prevents the action.]]
> >>
> >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
> >> CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
> >> NoViewOnDrive
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:D A56B816-83C8-4836-8AF2-1C7DF9F19DA9@microsoft.com,
> >> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:06:31 AM

Rick,

I don't have SP2, I had to look this up.

How to Disable Security Center Alerts
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/inter...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:08943959-0BF4-4022-BBD2-BCB46EC55352@microsoft.com,
Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wesley...
>
> Like you, I do not use System Restore either. I ended up doing a
> comple reformat. It was due anyway. This time I created a Ghost image
> so that I at least have a new baseline if my PC takes a dump again.
>
> THanks for all your help...
>
> BTW: Do you know how I can kill that nagging balloon tip from Windows
> security where it tells me that I do not have Automatic Updates on.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Rick
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Rick,
>>
>> I don't use it, but you might want to look at System Restore.
>>
>> Here are some links...
>>
>> Accessing System Restore

>> System Restore overview

>> To create a Restore Point

>> To select a restore point

>> Understanding System Restore

>> Using the System Restore Wizard

>> How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405
>>
>> How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows
>> XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
>>
>> Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:9F3CCAE9-55A9-401D-9B9C-57165D495F8B@microsoft.com,
>> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks again Wesley...
>>>
>>> Your suggestions did not work. I can see all the drives in Explorer,
>>> I just can see anything when I double click on the My Computer icon
>>> on the Desktop. Another odd thing is that nothing happen when I
>>> double click on System in the Control Panel.
>>>
>>> I don't know what happened my to PC. It was working great a couple
>>> of days ago and all of a sudden, I have a lot of issues.
>>>
>>> I have checked and double checked for viruses or spyware. There are
>>> none. I wonder what changed all my system settings?
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance...
>>>
>>> Rick

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 10:06:32 AM

Thanks Wesley...

You have been a great help.

Rick

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Rick,
>
> I don't have SP2, I had to look this up.
>
> How to Disable Security Center Alerts
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/inter...
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:08943959-0BF4-4022-BBD2-BCB46EC55352@microsoft.com,
> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks Wesley...
> >
> > Like you, I do not use System Restore either. I ended up doing a
> > comple reformat. It was due anyway. This time I created a Ghost image
> > so that I at least have a new baseline if my PC takes a dump again.
> >
> > THanks for all your help...
> >
> > BTW: Do you know how I can kill that nagging balloon tip from Windows
> > security where it tells me that I do not have Automatic Updates on.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Rick,
> >>
> >> I don't use it, but you might want to look at System Restore.
> >>
> >> Here are some links...
> >>
> >> Accessing System Restore
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> System Restore overview
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> To create a Restore Point
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> To select a restore point
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> Understanding System Restore
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> Using the System Restore Wizard
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
> >>
> >> How to turn on and turn off System Restore in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405
> >>
> >> How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows
> >> XP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
> >>
> >> Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...
> >>

> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:9F3CCAE9-55A9-401D-9B9C-57165D495F8B@microsoft.com,
> >> Rick_C <RickC@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:23:16 PM

Rick,

Keep having fun! :-)