Overclocking Noob

Hello. I bought a Hightech Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB iceq video card because as
I understood it, the huge fan was brilliant at keeping the board cool, and
thus making it the perfect card for overclocking. Problem is, I know nothing
about overclocking...

I'm not going to flash the BIOS because it just seems too final. So I
decided to overclock the card softwarewise. I tried to use the Rage3D tweak
tool, and increased the clockspeeds. I found a website that listed the
9800XTs speeds as 412Mhz core and 365Mhz memory, so that's exactly what I
set my 9800 pro to.... but I see no difference at all. I'm a little short
for benchmarking tools, but the doom3 timedemo didn't show an increase
whatsoever. Did I do something wrong? How important is it to flash the cards
bios (to a 9800xt) in terms of performance? I figured matching its clock
speed would at least be a start. But no difference at all?

Thanks, Chris.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I bought a Hightech Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB iceq video card because
as
> I understood it, the huge fan was brilliant at keeping the board cool, and
> thus making it the perfect card for overclocking. Problem is, I know
nothing
> about overclocking...
>
> I'm not going to flash the BIOS because it just seems too final. So I
> decided to overclock the card softwarewise. I tried to use the Rage3D
tweak
> tool, and increased the clockspeeds. I found a website that listed the
> 9800XTs speeds as 412Mhz core and 365Mhz memory, so that's exactly what I
> set my 9800 pro to.... but I see no difference at all. I'm a little short
> for benchmarking tools, but the doom3 timedemo didn't show an increase
> whatsoever. Did I do something wrong? How important is it to flash the
cards
> bios (to a 9800xt) in terms of performance? I figured matching its clock
> speed would at least be a start. But no difference at all?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>
> Thanks, Chris.

try this http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ and I run my card 20mhz below
the limits it set to be safe.

The 9800 is a low end card, overclokcing wont do much these days with
the likes of Doom 3 and games like that that need more POWER.

Well thats what i think, iam getting an X800 Pro Instead :)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:45:03 +0100, "The Berzerker"

Avid Gamer wrote:

> The 9800 is a low end card,

Hardly. It's previous-generation but it's hardly low-end.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> The 9800 is a low end card, overclokcing wont do much these days with
> the likes of Doom 3 and games like that that need more POWER.

Instead of giving advice just say, I GOT NO IDEA OF WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.
May i ask , which part of the planet you'r from ??