Can't Connect to School Server

I have Windows XP and a linksys g wireless card. I have a system set up at home and it works fine, but the router doesn't renew its ip address automatically so every few weeks I have to reset it. I'm a college student and my school has wireless all over the place so I took my laptop to the library and the wireless connected to the school's wireless server, but I couldn't access the internet. All the other students around me could so I know it had to be a problem with my computer. I tried releasing and renewing the IP address but I kept getting an error that said that the computer couldn't do it. HELP!

mrbill

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Your school probably has security in place on the wireless - it is doubtful that they would leave it open. You should also check your DHCP settings.

Are you using XP for wireless configuration, or other software?
Are you sure that you have good wireless connection with access point in the library?
(correct SSID, good signal level ... )

"Enygma8" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Windows XP and a linksys g wireless card. I have a system set up at home and it works fine, but the router
doesn't renew its ip address automatically so every few weeks I have to reset it. I'm a college student and my school
has wireless all over the place so I took my laptop to the library and the wireless connected to the school's wireless
server, but I couldn't access the internet. All the other students around me could so I know it had to be a problem
with my computer. I tried releasing and renewing the IP address but I kept getting an error that said that the computer
couldn't do it. HELP!

Yes I'm using the windows xp software to connect. My wireless card automatically picks up the new network and I have an excellent signal. I'll be sitting at a desk and my card picks up the library's wireless but I can't use the internet. People sitting right next to me seem to connect fine. Why can't I access the internet?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

They are more than likely using a proxy server. Our school does. They probably wont mind telling you what it is as you will only be accessing the Internet, not the network, and if you are going through the proxy server then the net access will likely be filtered too.

What exactly does that mean?