First ATI Related Suicide ?

Will I be the first ?

I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst using my
trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only run
stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and it
spits its dummy out.

I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and uncheck
fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I rebooted
and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen full of
multi coloured dots.

I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for more
than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed, so
I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
card still works in another machine.

What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it says I
dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16 colours.

I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin this
card and buy something else ?

Thanks in advance

Si

BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000
17 answers Last reply
More about first related suicide

    If i were you i would do a clean install

    this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system

    "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Will I be the first ?
    >
    > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst using
    my
    > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only
    run
    > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and
    it
    > spits its dummy out.
    >
    > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and uncheck
    > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I rebooted
    > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen full
    of
    > multi coloured dots.
    >
    > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    more
    > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
    > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
    > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
    > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    so
    > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > card still works in another machine.
    >
    > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it says
    > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16 colours.
    >
    > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin this
    > card and buy something else ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Si
    >
    > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    I went from a GF4 to a 9600XT and did not have to reload. I simply
    uninstalled the nvidia driver, rebooted with the new ati card and installed
    it's driver and it has worked flawlessly.

    So your advice to reload his os is flawed.

    DaveL

    "Mark" <mberge1@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
    > If i were you i would do a clean install
    >
    > this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system
    >

    > "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Will I be the first ?
    > >
    > > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst
    using
    > my
    > > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only
    > run
    > > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and
    > it
    > > spits its dummy out.
    > >
    > > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and
    uncheck
    > > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I
    rebooted
    > > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen
    full
    > of
    > > multi coloured dots.
    > >
    > > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    > more
    > > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back
    > > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a
    total
    > > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to
    last
    > > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    > so
    > > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > > card still works in another machine.
    > >
    > > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it
    says
    > > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16
    colours.

    > > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin
    this
    > > card and buy something else ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Si
    > >
    > > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    Send it to me, Ill have a look at it..and go back to Nvidia....

    Firthy

    "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Will I be the first ?
    >
    > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst using
    my
    > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only
    run
    > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and
    it
    > spits its dummy out.
    >
    > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and uncheck
    > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I rebooted
    > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen full
    of
    > multi coloured dots.
    >
    > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    more
    > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
    > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
    > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
    > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    so
    > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > card still works in another machine.
    >
    > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it says
    > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16 colours.
    >
    > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin this
    > card and buy something else ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Si
    >
    > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    or if you want a real answer, check your power supply, is it ok to handle a
    9800pro?

    "Firthy" <firthy@ATmagpies.net> wrote in message
    > Send it to me, Ill have a look at it..and go back to Nvidia....
    >
    > Firthy
    >

    > "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Will I be the first ?
    > >
    > > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst
    using
    > my
    > > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only
    > run
    > > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and
    > it
    > > spits its dummy out.
    > >
    > > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and
    uncheck
    > > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I
    rebooted
    > > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen
    full
    > of
    > > multi coloured dots.
    > >
    > > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    > more
    > > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back
    > > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a
    total
    > > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to
    last
    > > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    > so
    > > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > > card still works in another machine.
    > >
    > > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it
    says
    > > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16
    colours.

    > > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin
    this
    > > card and buy something else ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Si
    > >
    > > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    > more
    > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
    > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
    > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
    > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    > so
    > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > card still works in another machine.

    What's your power supply? This looks like it, ATI cards are more hungry
    than Nvidia

    "Mark" <mberge1@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
    > If i were you i would do a clean install
    >
    > this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system

    The first time I tried it, it was from a totally clean OS build so any
    nvidia drivers that may still be resident are not the issue.

    Si

    DaveL wrote:
    > I went from a GF4 to a 9600XT and did not have to reload. I simply
    > uninstalled the nvidia driver, rebooted with the new ati card and
    > installed it's driver and it has worked flawlessly.
    >
    > So your advice to reload his os is flawed.
    >
    > DaveL

    Simply because yours works fine does not mean that this may be his problem.
    You might have been lucky. Do you have anything more than just this one
    personal experience to back your statement up? Have u benched the card? Very
    often they will not perform as well as they could if previous drivers are
    not cleaned off completely.

    HTH
    Steve

    >Simply because yours works fine does not mean that this may be his problem.
    >You might have been lucky. Do you have anything more than just this one
    >personal experience to back your statement up? Have u benched the card? Very
    >often they will not perform as well as they could if previous drivers are
    >not cleaned off completely.
    >
    >HTH
    >Steve

    Even at that, there are programs and instructions that will help you
    do this WITHOUT re-installing the OS. Formatting the harddrive and
    re-installing the OS is like throwing away a car and buying a new one
    because it has a flat tire. Yes, it will work, but it's almost always
    an unnessisary waste of time.

    Format and re-install is the answer one gives when they don't have the
    RIGHT answer.

    Try one of these if you're worried about old drivers:
    http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/
    http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love

    Win2k ? Nuts to that. Win2k is a good OS, but it can't
    sort out anything. It either works or it doesn't. WinXP
    will work along with you. I've seen systems increase
    their performance 10x because the VIA drivers under
    W2k just did not work at all ... esp on the Gigabyte
    mobos. WinXP supports chipset drivers much much
    better, and will give you at least a good chance of
    recovering the value of that 9800.

    johns

    Have you plugged the power plug into the video card ?
    The card comes with a 2 wire adapter plug but you can plug in one of the
    floppy drive 4 wire connections. I do that on all the 9800 pro's that I
    install. Some of the computers showed fuzzy or corrupted images with only
    the 2 wire plug used. All problems disappeared when using the 4 wire plug.

    > "Mark" <mberge1@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
    >> If i were you i would do a clean install
    >>
    >> this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system
    >>

    > The first time I tried it, it was from a totally clean OS build so any
    > nvidia drivers that may still be resident are not the issue.
    >
    > Si
    >

    >> "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > Will I be the first ?
    >> >
    >> > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to
    >> > work
    >> > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst
    > using
    >> my
    >> > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this
    >> > radeon
    >> > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will
    >> > only
    >> run
    >> > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC
    >> > and
    >> it
    >> > spits its dummy out.
    >> >
    >> > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and
    > uncheck
    >> > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I
    > rebooted
    >> > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen
    > full
    >> of
    >> > multi coloured dots.
    >> >
    >> > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    >> more
    >> > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back
    >> > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a
    > total
    >> > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to
    > last
    >> > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers
    >> > installed,
    >> so
    >> > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card.
    >> > The
    >> > card still works in another machine.
    >> >
    >> > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it
    > says
    >> > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16
    > colours.
    >> >
    >> > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin
    > this
    >> > card and buy something else ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > Si
    >> >
    >> > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    Ignore most of my reply.
    I was thinking of the RX9800PRO-TD128 made by MSI.

    "RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote in message
    > Have you plugged the power plug into the video card ?
    > The card comes with a 2 wire adapter plug but you can plug in one of the
    > floppy drive 4 wire connections. I do that on all the 9800 pro's that I
    > install. Some of the computers showed fuzzy or corrupted images with only
    > the 2 wire plug used. All problems disappeared when using the 4 wire plug.
    >
    > "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mark" <mberge1@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
    >>> If i were you i would do a clean install
    >>>
    >>> this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system
    >>>

    >> The first time I tried it, it was from a totally clean OS build so any
    >> nvidia drivers that may still be resident are not the issue.
    >>
    >> Si
    >>

    >>> "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >> using
    >>> my
    >>> run
    >>> it

    >> uncheck
    >> rebooted
    >> full
    >>> of

    >>> more
    >> total
    >> last
    >>> so

    >> says
    >> colours.

    >> this

    I had identical issues with my old 9700 pro. These were caused by a faulty
    connection on the 12v line of the PSU connector. The female side of the
    connection had belled out causing arcing and an intermittent connection.

    things you should check are,

    0) check power supply 400 watt(good brand) needed, did you connect video
    card power cord to power supply unit?
    1) remove all cards from the pc except your graphics card.
    2) reinstall windows
    3) Install latest chipset drivers, reboot
    4) Install latest ATI driver reboot
    5) install latest direct x reboot
    6) Install a new game reboot, play the game to see if it still freeze or
    somthing..

    Possible troubleshooting try to resit the card in agp slot again and remove
    all extra cards just to check if it is a conflict issue?

    Since you card is working in other system its got to be PSU or driver
    related problem or conflict eg acquire latest drivers for everything,
    Isolate you agp card from other addon cards.

    Cheers and get back to us ..

    "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark" <mberge1@nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
    >> If i were you i would do a clean install
    >>
    >> this way you wont have an Nvidia stuff lying around on your system
    >>

    > The first time I tried it, it was from a totally clean OS build so any
    > nvidia drivers that may still be resident are not the issue.
    >
    > Si
    >

    >> "Si" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > Will I be the first ?
    >> >
    >> > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to
    >> > work
    >> > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst
    > using
    >> my
    >> > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this
    >> > radeon
    >> > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will
    >> > only
    >> run
    >> > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC
    >> > and
    >> it
    >> > spits its dummy out.
    >> >
    >> > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and
    > uncheck
    >> > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I
    > rebooted
    >> > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen
    > full
    >> of
    >> > multi coloured dots.
    >> >
    >> > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    >> more
    >> > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back
    >> > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a
    > total
    >> > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to
    > last
    >> > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers
    >> > installed,
    >> so
    >> > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card.
    >> > The
    >> > card still works in another machine.
    >> >
    >> > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it
    > says
    >> > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16
    > colours.
    >> >
    >> > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin
    > this
    >> > card and buy something else ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > Si
    >> >
    >> > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I second that win2k is perfectly stable OS for games and yes I got via
    chipset Gigabyte mobo too and no problem so far...

    Its the misconfiguration that matters most!!!!!

    "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > Win2k ? Nuts to that. Win2k is a good OS, but it can't
    > sort out anything. It either works or it doesn't. WinXP
    > will work along with you. I've seen systems increase
    > their performance 10x because the VIA drivers under
    > W2k just did not work at all ... esp on the Gigabyte
    > mobos. WinXP supports chipset drivers much much
    > better, and will give you at least a good chance of
    > recovering the value of that 9800.
    >
    > johns

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Si wrote:

    > Will I be the first ?
    >
    > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst using my
    > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only run
    > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and it
    > spits its dummy out.
    >
    > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and uncheck
    > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I rebooted
    > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen full of
    > multi coloured dots.
    >
    > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for more
    > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
    > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
    > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
    > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed, so
    > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > card still works in another machine.
    >
    > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it says I
    > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16 colours.
    >
    > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin this
    > card and buy something else ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Si
    >
    > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    Make sure your system is cooled properly, my friend was getting the same
    issues but he wasn't taking his system temps into account. They were
    getting up over 65-70C when running 3D apps.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    <biggie@fattie.com> wrote in message
    > Make sure your system is cooled properly, my friend was getting the same
    > issues but he wasn't taking his system temps into account. They were
    > getting up over 65-70C when running 3D apps.

    I have been running the ASUS Probe software that came with the MOBO and
    temps were not a problem.

    To update though, as I said after the crash the system was saying I had no
    ATI card installed, in disgust I left the machine in somthing of a loop just
    restating itself and installing the drivers saying no ATI card found,
    restarting etc etc etc.

    After about 5 or 6 loops it found the card and averything now seems fine.
    The card works and doesnt crash like it used to. The odd thing is that my
    Catclysm centre now does not have the SMARTGART option so i am not sure what
    the AGP is set to ( 4x or 8x ). Well I sha'n't worry unduly at least the
    thing works..after a fashion.

    Thanks for the help.

    Si
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Si <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Will I be the first ?
    >
    > I bought a 9800 pro about 12 months ago and I could never get it to work
    > properly, so I put it back in its box and let it gather dust whilst using
    my
    > trusty Geforce card. I rcently sold my GF4Ti and had to face this radeon
    > thing again, as usual it works fine in an old PIII machine but will only
    run
    > stable in windows, the first sign of a 3D calculation in my daily PC and
    it
    > spits its dummy out.
    >
    > I saw people saying to go into the cataclysmic control centre and uncheck
    > fast draw ( it was greyed out ) and put AGP at 4x it was at 8x. I rebooted
    > and the card then decides it wont even do windows now, just a screen full
    of
    > multi coloured dots.
    >
    > I reboot, go to last known good setting and I am able to play Doom3 for
    more
    > than about 2 minutes without a crash, great I think, its sorted go back to
    > doing some real work. I attempt Doom 3 again an hour later and get a total
    > crash, black screen. Upon reboot the multi coloured dots again, go to last
    > known good config and it looks like safe mode. No ATI drivers installed,
    so
    > I try to load the drivers again and am told I dont have an ATI card. The
    > card still works in another machine.
    >
    > What the hell do I do now, I cant load any of the controls because it says
    > dont have an ATI card, I cant run my machine at anything above 16 colours.
    >
    > I rue the day I ever left Nvidia, is there hope or should I just bin this
    > card and buy something else ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Si
    >
    > BTW My system is P4 2.8GHZ 800FSB ASUS MB 1 GB DDR400 running W2000

    Always state your PSU in this kind of situation.

    My suspicions would go to one of the following two possibilities as the most
    likely culprits:

    1. Video card isn't getting good enough cooling. I'd check the heat sink
    on the card to see if it's making proper contact with the GPU. Check the
    temp of the card when the computer is running a 3d game. If it's burning
    hot to the touch, there's probably something wrong there.
    2. Power supply. These things have a lot of power consumption and on a
    lower powered system it might work because the cpu and other components
    aren't as power hungry as your new system. Can't count the number of
    systems I've seen with marginal power supplies causing crazy problems.

    If it's none of the above, could be motherboard related - motherboard
    drivers, bios settings, who knows. Probably not a case of your video card
    being bad, because it works fine in another computer.

Radeon ATI Graphics