Workstation Service

March 27, 2005 8:51:04 PM

Hello,

Understand Workstation Service

What I have?
A standalone pc with Win Xp Pro.
A Administrator and some users

What is my problem?
I can't see the information, under the tab member of (computer management),
for all users,
becouse Workstation Service don't start (windows information error).

What I already know?
If we don't select typical network settings, in a fresh instalation, and
deselect itens like
client for microsoft networks, file and print shares, and netbios under
tcp/ip, when we go to services
the Worksation Service don't appear;
If you deselect the network settings (microsoft networks, file and print
shares, and netbios under tcp/ip),
even Worksation Service is runnig in Automatic mode, that Service desappear
to;

What I have read?
This service is not necessary for a standalone pc, turn it off to improve
security (The sans top 20 Internet security vulneravilities)
Used to connect local computer to remote computers. Examples may include
local network connectivity and File and Print sharing.
(blackvipper)

What I need?
1 - Bring up the Workstation Service, without a fresh instalation;
2 - Understand, why the Worksation Service loock the tab member of;
3 - Why I have to turn on Worksation Service, if I don't wan't share files
or Print over Internet, if I don't wan't connect to a microsoft client
network, if I don't wan't to have netbios over tcp/ip, and finaly if I surf
in the net, like this moment, without the worksation service turn on...

--
Best regards
Indiana

More about : workstation service

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:23:22 PM

No Workstation, No Internet, No File and Printer Sharing,
No -- well, you get the idea. This is not the service to mess
with if you have an itchy disable finger.
Ref: http://www.theeldergeek.com/workstation.htm

Services Guide for Windows XP
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Indiana" wrote:

| Hello,
|
| Understand Workstation Service
|

| What I have?
| A standalone pc with Win Xp Pro.
| A Administrator and some users
|
| What is my problem?
| I can't see the information, under the tab member of (computer management),
| for all users,
| becouse Workstation Service don't start (windows information error).
|
| What I already know?
| If we don't select typical network settings, in a fresh instalation, and
| deselect itens like
| client for microsoft networks, file and print shares, and netbios under
| tcp/ip, when we go to services
| the Worksation Service don't appear;
| If you deselect the network settings (microsoft networks, file and print
| shares, and netbios under tcp/ip),
| even Worksation Service is runnig in Automatic mode, that Service desappear
| to;
|
| What I have read?
| This service is not necessary for a standalone pc, turn it off to improve
| security (The sans top 20 Internet security vulneravilities)
| Used to connect local computer to remote computers. Examples may include
| local network connectivity and File and Print sharing.
| (blackvipper)
|
| What I need?
| 1 - Bring up the Workstation Service, without a fresh instalation;
| 2 - Understand, why the Worksation Service loock the tab member of;
| 3 - Why I have to turn on Worksation Service, if I don't wan't share files
| or Print over Internet, if I don't wan't connect to a microsoft client
| network, if I don't wan't to have netbios over tcp/ip, and finaly if I surf
| in the net, like this moment, without the worksation service turn on...
|
| --
| Best regards
| Indiana
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:09:03 PM

"Indiana" wrote:

> 3 - Why I have to turn on Worksation Service, if I don't wan't share files
> or Print over Internet, if I don't wan't connect to a microsoft client
> network, if I don't wan't to have netbios over tcp/ip, and finaly if I surf
> in the net, like this moment, without the worksation service turn on...

As you have discovered, the Workstation service (lanmanworkstation NT
service) is not necessary in a standalone environment. Access to the Internet
need only pure TCP/IP and any (LAN-based) MS protocols (NetBIOS in particular
TCP/UDP 135, 139, 445) can be safely deactivated.

However, it is required if you need to access any SMB resources on a remote
Server (e.g. net use drive_letter \\server_name\share_name). In addition, if
you require any of the dependencies (e.g. alerter or browser) then this
service needs to be running.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
April 6, 2005 9:25:02 PM

First of all, thanks for your help, and my apologies for take so long to post
again.

Maybe, I don’t give you the point.

I need to understand, why my standalone computer needs the workstation
service to give me the groups for each user.

The other question, I already resolved after find a article in Microsoft
data base (how I turn on workstation service when they disappear form
services).

Once again thanks.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> No Workstation, No Internet, No File and Printer Sharing,
> No -- well, you get the idea. This is not the service to mess
> with if you have an itchy disable finger.
> Ref: http://www.theeldergeek.com/workstation.htm
>
> Services Guide for Windows XP
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Indiana" wrote:
>
> | Hello,
> |
> | Understand Workstation Service
> |

> | What I have?
> | A standalone pc with Win Xp Pro.
> | A Administrator and some users
> |
> | What is my problem?
> | I can't see the information, under the tab member of (computer management),
> | for all users,
> | becouse Workstation Service don't start (windows information error).
> |
> | What I already know?
> | If we don't select typical network settings, in a fresh instalation, and
> | deselect itens like
> | client for microsoft networks, file and print shares, and netbios under
> | tcp/ip, when we go to services
> | the Worksation Service don't appear;
> | If you deselect the network settings (microsoft networks, file and print
> | shares, and netbios under tcp/ip),
> | even Worksation Service is runnig in Automatic mode, that Service desappear
> | to;
> |
> | What I have read?
> | This service is not necessary for a standalone pc, turn it off to improve
> | security (The sans top 20 Internet security vulneravilities)
> | Used to connect local computer to remote computers. Examples may include
> | local network connectivity and File and Print sharing.
> | (blackvipper)
> |
> | What I need?
> | 1 - Bring up the Workstation Service, without a fresh instalation;
> | 2 - Understand, why the Worksation Service loock the tab member of;
> | 3 - Why I have to turn on Worksation Service, if I don't wan't share files
> | or Print over Internet, if I don't wan't connect to a microsoft client
> | network, if I don't wan't to have netbios over tcp/ip, and finaly if I surf
> | in the net, like this moment, without the worksation service turn on...
> |
> | --
> | Best regards
> | Indiana

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:29:01 PM

First of all, thanks for your help, and my apologies for take so long to post
again.

Maybe, I don’t give you the point.

I need to understand, why my standalone computer needs the workstation
service to give me the groups for each user.

The other question I already resolved after find a article in Microsoft data
base (how I turn on workstation service when they disappear form services.

Anyway, once again thanks.

!