Does 3DMark05 actually test the video card anymore?

After running most games, I notice that the back vent of my 9800 pro gets hot, as expected (its a
9800 pro with an artic cooler attached). It gets very hot after playing stuff like Doom 3, where it
can get almost too hot to touch. After running 3DMark05, I'm noticing that the card isn't hot, and
is much the same temp as after it has been doing simple 2D work. That begs the question on whether
3DMark actually tells me how good my graphics card is. I suspect that the limiting factor is
actually the processor (XP2800+, 1GB) because the 9800 doesn't seem stressed at all going off the
temp. Anyone else seeing this sort of behaviour?

FWIW, I get 2647 3DMarks, whatever that means. I think I'll stick to in-game fps counts in future,
because 3DMark seems to have become... um... less than useful.

More about does 3dmark05 test video card anymore

    I should add that its actually lukewarm throughout the tests, including the first 3 tests... I
    realise that the last two tests are CPU tests :)

    "Sham B" <replytothislist@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >I should add that its actually lukewarm throughout the tests, including the
    >first 3 tests... I realise that the last two tests are CPU tests :)

    I have not tried the 3DMark05 yet, but I noticed the heat was not real high
    with earlier 3DMark tests either. I was trying to get my PC quiet and to do
    so you slow the fan down as much as possible without letting the components
    get too hot. This means monitoring the temp of things like the graphics
    cards while under load. I tried using 3DMark to put the graphics card under
    load, but like you said it gets hotter when playing certain games. What I
    also found that was interesting was that just leaving the game at the main
    menu screen of games like UT2004 and BattleFeild VN will generate more heat
    then while actually playing the game.
    I suppose the reason for this is that when at the menu screen the GPU is
    constantly processing the screen and generating heat, but with 3DMark or in
    certain game action screens there are breaks in the action (like when the
    next test is loading in 3DMark) just long enough for the hsf to cool of the
    card.

    BTW I test the fps using Fraps and really just check to see how much I can
    turn up the graphics settings and not drop below a minimum frame rate that I
    think would be playable.

    Lou

    "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote in message

    > "Sham B" <replytothislist@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >>I should add that its actually lukewarm throughout the tests, including
    >>the first 3 tests... I realise that the last two tests are CPU tests :)

    > I have not tried the 3DMark05 yet, but I noticed the heat was not real
    > high with earlier 3DMark tests either. I was trying to get my PC quiet
    > and to do so you slow the fan down as much as possible without letting the
    > components get too hot. This means monitoring the temp of things like the
    > graphics cards while under load. I tried using 3DMark to put the graphics
    > card under load, but like you said it gets hotter when playing certain
    > games. What I also found that was interesting was that just leaving the
    > game at the main menu screen of games like UT2004 and BattleFeild VN will
    > generate more heat then while actually playing the game.
    > I suppose the reason for this is that when at the menu screen the GPU is
    > constantly processing the screen and generating heat, but with 3DMark or
    > in certain game action screens there are breaks in the action (like when
    > the next test is loading in 3DMark) just long enough for the hsf to cool
    > of the card.
    >
    > BTW I test the fps using Fraps and really just check to see how much I can
    > turn up the graphics settings and not drop below a minimum frame rate that
    > I think would be playable.
    >
    > Lou

    Another thing I noticed with Radeon cards that they tend to get alot hotter
    in OpenGL games than Direct3D games (may apply to other cards as well, but I
    have only noticed it with my Radeon 9700 Pro, 9600 Pro and X800 Pro as I
    haven't really had any others to test :) ). It seems like OpenGL stress the
    videocards much more, for whatever reasons, no matter if older or newer
    games. I tested games that support both Direct3D and OpenGL and OpenGL heats
    up the cards more, altough I don't know the exact reason for it.

    No. 3DMark 2005 does some calculations and tells you exactly what card to
    buy* to get xxxx 3D Marks.

    *subject to change weekly depending on sponsor cash flow

    > After running most games, I notice that the back vent of my 9800 pro gets
    hot, as expected (its a
    > 9800 pro with an artic cooler attached). It gets very hot after playing
    stuff like Doom 3, where it
    > can get almost too hot to touch. After running 3DMark05, I'm noticing that
    the card isn't hot, and
    > is much the same temp as after it has been doing simple 2D work. That begs
    the question on whether
    > 3DMark actually tells me how good my graphics card is. I suspect that the
    limiting factor is
    > actually the processor (XP2800+, 1GB) because the 9800 doesn't seem
    stressed at all going off the
    > temp. Anyone else seeing this sort of behaviour?
    >
    > FWIW, I get 2647 3DMarks, whatever that means. I think I'll stick to
    in-game fps counts in future,
    > because 3DMark seems to have become... um... less than useful.

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics