Need to gray out an option in Graphics Properties.

March 28, 2005 9:25:02 AM

I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video driver but I
need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I right click. I set
up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a user was able to change the
rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is there any way I can gray out the
graphics properties option with a registry key or group policy? I know I can
just take out the right click functionality completely with group policy but
I'd like to keep this option open.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 9:44:23 PM

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
Hide Settings tab

Description
Removes the Settings tab from Display in Control Panel.

This policy prevents users from using Control Panel to add, configure, or
change the display settings on the computer.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
NoDispSettingsPage

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
-----

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
Hide specified control panel applets

Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer
DisallowCpl

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Explorer\DisallowCpl
desk.cpl

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
-----

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
Remove Display in Control Panel

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
NoDispCPL

http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=361
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E1728E4E-B983-49A4-BA29-680F922309C4@microsoft.com,
Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video
> driver but I need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I
> right click. I set up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a
> user was able to change the rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is
> there any way I can gray out the graphics properties option with a
> registry key or group policy? I know I can just take out the right
> click functionality completely with group policy but I'd like to keep
> this option open.
March 28, 2005 9:44:24 PM

I'm pretty sure I have this option checked but I'll double check.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> Hide Settings tab
>
> Description
> Removes the Settings tab from Display in Control Panel.
>
> This policy prevents users from using Control Panel to add, configure, or
> change the display settings on the computer.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> NoDispSettingsPage
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
> -----
>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
> Hide specified control panel applets
>
> Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> Explorer
> DisallowCpl
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> Explorer\DisallowCpl
> desk.cpl
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
> -----
>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> Remove Display in Control Panel
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> NoDispCPL
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=361
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E1728E4E-B983-49A4-BA29-680F922309C4@microsoft.com,
> Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video
> > driver but I need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I
> > right click. I set up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a
> > user was able to change the rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is
> > there any way I can gray out the graphics properties option with a
> > registry key or group policy? I know I can just take out the right
> > click functionality completely with group policy but I'd like to keep
> > this option open.

Related resources
March 29, 2005 9:59:07 AM

I found an Intel(R) GMA Driver option in the Control Panel. Where can I find
the name of the .cpl extension to block it out?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> Hide Settings tab
>
> Description
> Removes the Settings tab from Display in Control Panel.
>
> This policy prevents users from using Control Panel to add, configure, or
> change the display settings on the computer.
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> NoDispSettingsPage
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
> -----
>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
> Hide specified control panel applets
>
> Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> Explorer
> DisallowCpl
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> Explorer\DisallowCpl
> desk.cpl
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
> -----
>
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> Remove Display in Control Panel
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> NoDispCPL
>
> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=361
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:E1728E4E-B983-49A4-BA29-680F922309C4@microsoft.com,
> Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video
> > driver but I need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I
> > right click. I set up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a
> > user was able to change the rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is
> > there any way I can gray out the graphics properties option with a
> > registry key or group policy? I know I can just take out the right
> > click functionality completely with group policy but I'd like to keep
> > this option open.

March 29, 2005 8:41:02 PM

I did find the .cpl extension it is intlgrpx.cpl (something to that effect)
and tried hiding it when logging back in as the user the option is still open
and can be accessible.

"Mike" wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I have this option checked but I'll double check.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> > Hide Settings tab
> >
> > Description
> > Removes the Settings tab from Display in Control Panel.
> >
> > This policy prevents users from using Control Panel to add, configure, or
> > change the display settings on the computer.
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> > NoDispSettingsPage
> >
> > http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
> > -----
> >
> > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
> > Hide specified control panel applets
> >
> > Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> > Explorer
> > DisallowCpl
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> > Explorer\DisallowCpl
> > desk.cpl
> >
> > http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
> > -----
> >
> > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> > Remove Display in Control Panel
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> > NoDispCPL
> >
> > http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=361
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:E1728E4E-B983-49A4-BA29-680F922309C4@microsoft.com,
> > Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video
> > > driver but I need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I
> > > right click. I set up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a
> > > user was able to change the rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is
> > > there any way I can gray out the graphics properties option with a
> > > registry key or group policy? I know I can just take out the right
> > > click functionality completely with group policy but I'd like to keep
> > > this option open.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:33:59 PM

Mike,

*.cpl files are Control Panel extensions.

Do a Search for *.cpl in the %Systemroot%\System32 directory.

*.cpl will return all files with a cpl extension.

Hint: It isn't one of the following...

Control Panel cpl's:
access.cpl = Accessibility Options
appwiz.cpl = Add or Remove Programs
desk.cpl = Desktop Control Panel = Display Properties
hdwwiz.cpl = Add Hardware Control Panel Applet
inetcpl.cpl = Internet Control Panel = Internet Properties
intl.cpl = Regional and Language Options
irprops.cpl = Wireless Link Control Panel Applet
joy.cpl = Game Controllers
jpicpl32.cpl = JavaPlugin
main.cpl = Mouse Properties
mmsys.cpl = Sounds and Audio Device Properties
ncpa.cpl = Network Connections Control-Panel Stub
nusrmgr.cpl = Windows User Manager = Users Accounts
nvtuicpl.cpl = NVIDIA nView Control Panel, Version 52.16
nwc.cpl = Client Service for NetWare Applet
odbccp32.cpl = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Control Panel
plotman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plotter Manager
powercfg.cpl = Power Management Configuration Control Panel Applet or Power
Options Properties
SanCpl.cpl = SiSoftware Sandra™ English Control Panel Extension (Win32
x86)(NT)(ANSI)
sapi.cpl = SAPI 5 = Speech Properties
styleman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plot Style Manager
sysdm.cpl = System Properties
telephon.cpl = Telephony Control Panel
timedate.cpl = Time Date Control Panel Applet
wuaucpl.cpl = Automatic Updates Control Panel (Added by SP2??)
Wscui.cpl = SP2 Security Center (SP2)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A636BABC-5B5B-4D9C-AE76-5F5F86B49C4E@microsoft.com,
Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I found an Intel(R) GMA Driver option in the Control Panel. Where
> can I find the name of the .cpl extension to block it out?
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
>> Hide Settings tab
>>
>> Description
>> Removes the Settings tab from Display in Control Panel.
>>
>> This policy prevents users from using Control Panel to add,
>> configure, or change the display settings on the computer.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> NoDispSettingsPage
>>
>> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
>> -----
>>
>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
>> Hide specified control panel applets
>>
>> Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
>> Explorer
>> DisallowCpl
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
>> Explorer\DisallowCpl
>> desk.cpl
>>
>> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
>> -----
>>
>> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
>> Remove Display in Control Panel

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> NoDispCPL
>>
>> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=361
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:E1728E4E-B983-49A4-BA29-680F922309C4@microsoft.com,
>> Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I recent set up a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a Intel 82915G Video
>>> driver but I need to gray out the Graphics properties options when I
>>> right click. I set up 5 of these machines with a group policy but a
>>> user was able to change the rotation of the screen 180 degrees. Is
>>> there any way I can gray out the graphics properties option with a
>>> registry key or group policy? I know I can just take out the right
>>> click functionality completely with group policy but I'd like to
>>> keep this option open.
March 30, 2005 1:17:04 PM

I found the Intel GMA driver igfxcpl.cpl and tried to hide the applet but it
still doesn't gray out the graphics property option when I right click. I
also couldn't find the .cpl extension for Printers & Faxes.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> NoDispSettingsPage
> >>
> >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=433
> >> -----
> >>
> >> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\
> >> Hide specified control panel applets
> >>
> >> Hide desk.cpl (Display Properties)
> >>
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> >> Explorer
> >> DisallowCpl
> >>
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
> >> Explorer\DisallowCpl
> >> desk.cpl
> >>
> >> http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=423
> >> -----
> >>
> >> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> >> Remove Display in Control Panel
> >>

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:00:54 PM

I was hoping that someone that knows more than I do would junp into this
thread.

Printers & Faxes for some reason doesn't have a *.cpl file.
Neither do Administrative Tools, Fonts, Scanners and Cameras, Scheduled
Tasks or Taskbar and Start Menu.

They are Namespace objects. Whatever that is. Has something to do with
being a shell folder with its own GUID.

This will display the Printers & Faxes folder...
Start | Run | Type or paste: Control printers | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:AE148478-B39C-4BF4-BD21-604A2BC7562E@microsoft.com,
Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I found the Intel GMA driver igfxcpl.cpl and tried to hide the applet
> but it still doesn't gray out the graphics property option when I
> right click. I also couldn't find the .cpl extension for Printers &
> Faxes.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> *.cpl files are Control Panel extensions.
>>
>> Do a Search for *.cpl in the %Systemroot%\System32 directory.
>>
>> *.cpl will return all files with a cpl extension.
>>
>> Hint: It isn't one of the following...
>>
>> Control Panel cpl's:
>> access.cpl = Accessibility Options
>> appwiz.cpl = Add or Remove Programs
>> desk.cpl = Desktop Control Panel = Display Properties
>> hdwwiz.cpl = Add Hardware Control Panel Applet
>> inetcpl.cpl = Internet Control Panel = Internet Properties
>> intl.cpl = Regional and Language Options
>> irprops.cpl = Wireless Link Control Panel Applet
>> joy.cpl = Game Controllers
>> jpicpl32.cpl = JavaPlugin
>> main.cpl = Mouse Properties
>> mmsys.cpl = Sounds and Audio Device Properties
>> ncpa.cpl = Network Connections Control-Panel Stub
>> nusrmgr.cpl = Windows User Manager = Users Accounts
>> nvtuicpl.cpl = NVIDIA nView Control Panel, Version 52.16
>> nwc.cpl = Client Service for NetWare Applet
>> odbccp32.cpl = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Control Panel
>> plotman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plotter Manager
>> powercfg.cpl = Power Management Configuration Control Panel Applet
>> or Power Options Properties
>> SanCpl.cpl = SiSoftware Sandraâ„¢ English Control Panel Extension
>> (Win32 x86)(NT)(ANSI)
>> sapi.cpl = SAPI 5 = Speech Properties
>> styleman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plot Style Manager
>> sysdm.cpl = System Properties
>> telephon.cpl = Telephony Control Panel
>> timedate.cpl = Time Date Control Panel Applet
>> wuaucpl.cpl = Automatic Updates Control Panel (Added by SP2??)
>> Wscui.cpl = SP2 Security Center (SP2)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:A636BABC-5B5B-4D9C-AE76-5F5F86B49C4E@microsoft.com,
>> Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I found an Intel(R) GMA Driver option in the Control Panel. Where
>>> can I find the name of the .cpl extension to block it out?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

March 31, 2005 5:00:55 PM

Thanks for your help.

!