Asus radeon 9600XT + amd64

sammy

I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home edition
and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers display turns
off when trying to start any application.

I installed winxp 64-bit evalution but no difference. by using build in
driver display works but games crashes after ~10 min playing.

Have any idea ?

thanx !

-sami

(remove poista if answering by mail)

Sammy wrote:

> I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
> edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers display
> turns off when trying to start any application.

When you say "turns off" what exactly is the behavior you observe?

> I installed winxp 64-bit evalution but no difference. by using build in
> driver display works but games crashes after ~10 min playing.

Don't expect beta software to work.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

JohnS

I have several AMD64 systems built up now, all with
ATI 9800 cards ... all running WinXP Pro 32 bit. First
thing I noticed was video problems until I went in to
SmartGart and turned fast writes off, and set AGP
to 4x ( took a couple reboots to hold ). Also, no way
will Catalyst drivers older than 4.6 work on those
systems. I use both 4.6 and 4.8 with no problems. In
the earlier drivers, I could find no way to set fast writes
or AGP. Clean install of the drivers is mandatory.

johns

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

> Sammy wrote:
>

>>I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
>>edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers display
>>turns off when trying to start any application.

Could be a PSU or a heat issue.What PSU do you have?

sammy

J. Clarke wrote:

> Sammy wrote:
>
>> I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
>> edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers
>> display turns off when trying to start any application.
>
> When you say "turns off" what exactly is the behavior you observe?
>
>> I installed winxp 64-bit evalution but no difference. by using build in
>> driver display works but games crashes after ~10 min playing.
>
> Don't expect beta software to work.
>

>> Have any idea ?
>>
>> thanx !
>>
>> -sami
>>
>> (remove poista if answering by mail)

Sorry about inaccurate description. Actually i mean that monitor goes to
standby mode and system stops responding when opening any window and
maximizing it.

I tried 64-bit xp in hope that it would work better in this case than 32-bit
version but maybe i should rollback to 32-bit.

Thanx for answering !

-sami

--

Sammy wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Sammy wrote:
>>
>>> I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
>>> edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers
>>> display turns off when trying to start any application.
>>
>> When you say "turns off" what exactly is the behavior you observe?
>>
>>> I installed winxp 64-bit evalution but no difference. by using build in
>>> driver display works but games crashes after ~10 min playing.
>>
>> Don't expect beta software to work.
>>

>>> Have any idea ?
>>>
>>> thanx !
>>>
>>> -sami
>>>
>>> (remove poista if answering by mail)
>>

> Sorry about inaccurate description. Actually i mean that monitor goes to
> standby mode and system stops responding when opening any window and
> maximizing it.
>
> I tried 64-bit xp in hope that it would work better in this case than
> 32-bit version but maybe i should rollback to 32-bit.
>
> Thanx for answering !

Let me be sure that I understand you correctly. You say that you can open a
window with no problem but when you maximize the window the display goes
into standby?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Sammy, does it do it in safe mode?

DaveL

J. Clarke wrote:

> Sammy wrote:
>
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>>> When you say "turns off" what exactly is the behavior you observe?

>>> Don't expect beta software to work.

>> Sorry about inaccurate description. Actually i mean that monitor goes to
>> standby mode and system stops responding when opening any window and
>> maximizing it.
>>
>> I tried 64-bit xp in hope that it would work better in this case than
>> 32-bit version but maybe i should rollback to 32-bit.
>>
>> Thanx for answering !
>
> Let me be sure that I understand you correctly. You say that you can open
> a window with no problem but when you maximize the window the display goes
> into standby?
>>
>> -sami

Yes. Just like that. Sorry about my bad english...

-sami

--

DaveL wrote:

> Sammy, does it do it in safe mode?
>
> DaveL
>

> "Sammy" <adheesioPOISTA@mbnet.fi> wrote in message
>> J. Clarke wrote:

>> > When you say "turns off" what exactly is the behavior you observe?

>> > Don't expect beta software to work.

>> Sorry about inaccurate description. Actually i mean that monitor goes to
>> standby mode and system stops responding when opening any window and
>> maximizing it.
>>
>> I tried 64-bit xp in hope that it would work better in this case than
> 32-bit
>> version but maybe i should rollback to 32-bit.
>>
>> Thanx for answering !
>>
>> -sami
>>
>> --
>> (remove poista if answering by mail)

No, in safe mode everything works, and by using build in display drivers
everything works too...

-sami
--

Glitch wrote:

>> Sammy wrote:
>>

>>>I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
>>>edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers
>>>display turns off when trying to start any application.
>
> Could be a PSU or a heat issue.What PSU do you have?

Now I feel myself stupid, but does PSU mean power supply ? If it does I have
nexus 350 W. Card worked perfectly in my old computer, so maybe the heat
issue is not probable ? but have to check that out.

-sami

--

johns wrote:

> I have several AMD64 systems built up now, all with
> ATI 9800 cards ... all running WinXP Pro 32 bit. First
> thing I noticed was video problems until I went in to
> SmartGart and turned fast writes off, and set AGP
> to 4x ( took a couple reboots to hold ). Also, no way
> will Catalyst drivers older than 4.6 work on those
> systems. I use both 4.6 and 4.8 with no problems. In
> the earlier drivers, I could find no way to set fast writes
> or AGP. Clean install of the drivers is mandatory.
>
> johns

OK, I am going to try that !

-sami

--

Sammy wrote:

> I have amd64 based system with abit kv8 pro mainboard and winxp home
> edition and can't get videocard working. With new catalyst drivers display
> turns off when trying to start any application.
>
> I installed winxp 64-bit evalution but no difference. by using build in
> driver display works but games crashes after ~10 min playing.
>
> Have any idea ?
>
> thanx !
>
> -sami
>
> (remove poista if answering by mail)

I got it working, by installing once again display driver and latest VIA
chipset drivers. Thanx for all answers !!!

-sami

--
(remove poista if answering by mail)