Limited Account Problem with XP Pro

My nephews inadvertently changed the user account on my mother-in-law's PC
so that it no longer is the administrator on the PC. It is currently setup
with only a Limited Account. I originally setup the PC with "User" have
computer administrator rights. Now I cannot get into the account to change
it. Is there a way for me to add an Administrator account to this PC?

I know, I know I should have setup up two account and put a password on the
admin account, but I wasn't expecting the children to mess with any Control
Panel setting.

Thanks for any help.

John
3 answers Last reply
More about limited account problem

    John Navara wrote:
    > My nephews inadvertently changed the user account on my mother-in-law's PC
    > so that it no longer is the administrator on the PC. It is currently setup
    > with only a Limited Account. I originally setup the PC with "User" have
    > computer administrator rights. Now I cannot get into the account to change
    > it. Is there a way for me to add an Administrator account to this PC?
    >
    > I know, I know I should have setup up two account and put a password on the
    > admin account, but I wasn't expecting the children to mess with any Control
    > Panel setting.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > John

    Use the built-in Administrator Account (which is hidden by default when
    you create another Administrator account) - at the Welcome Screen press
    Ctl-Alt-Del twice. The old W2K style log-in box should appear. In the
    user field type "administrator" (without the quotes) and presumably,
    from what you have said, leave the password field blank. Then you can go
    to Control Panel-Users and change the User account back to the
    administrator group.

    HTH

    Thank you very much. I should have known that, but was too upset with the
    nephews at the time that it didn't matter much.

    John

    John Navara wrote:
    > Thank you very much. I should have known that, but was too upset with the
    > nephews at the time that it didn't matter much.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>John Navara wrote:
    >>
    >>>My nephews inadvertently changed the user account on my mother-in-law's
    >
    > PC
    >
    >>>so that it no longer is the administrator on the PC. It is currently
    >
    > setup
    >
    >>>with only a Limited Account. I originally setup the PC with "User" have
    >>>computer administrator rights. Now I cannot get into the account to
    >
    > change
    >
    >>>it. Is there a way for me to add an Administrator account to this PC?
    >>>
    >>>I know, I know I should have setup up two account and put a password on
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>admin account, but I wasn't expecting the children to mess with any
    >
    > Control
    >
    >>>Panel setting.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any help.
    >>>
    >>>John
    >>>

    >>Use the built-in Administrator Account (which is hidden by default when
    >>you create another Administrator account) - at the Welcome Screen press
    >>Ctl-Alt-Del twice. The old W2K style log-in box should appear. In the
    >>user field type "administrator" (without the quotes) and presumably,
    >>from what you have said, leave the password field blank. Then you can go
    >>to Control Panel-Users and change the User account back to the
    >>administrator group.
    >>
    >>HTH

    You're welcome. What you also need to do is to put a STRONG password on
    the built-in admin account so your nephew can't access it.

Windows XP