Do I need "Catalyst" for Radeon?

Fresh Windows XP install on a new hard drive for my Athlon 64 system.
Hard drive is clean, except for Windows XP, plus all the latest
drivers included with a comprehensive Windows Update routine and
Service Pack 2.

I download the latest drivers for the Radeon 9800 Pro at ATI's
website. Install the drivers, reboot, and then... at windows startup,
I get an error message as soon as Catalyst tries to load. It's some
mumbo jumbo about failing to initialize, and that "cli.exe" has caused
an error. Even if I try to run catalyst manually, I get the same
error.

Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
this "catalyst" program load properly?

On 10/3/2004 9:49 AM Opticreep brightened our day with:

>Fresh Windows XP install on a new hard drive for my Athlon 64 system.
>Hard drive is clean, except for Windows XP, plus all the latest
>drivers included with a comprehensive Windows Update routine and
>Service Pack 2.
>
>I download the latest drivers for the Radeon 9800 Pro at ATI's
>website. Install the drivers, reboot, and then... at windows startup,
>I get an error message as soon as Catalyst tries to load. It's some
>mumbo jumbo about failing to initialize, and that "cli.exe" has caused
>an error. Even if I try to run catalyst manually, I get the same
>error.
>
>Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
>this "catalyst" program load properly?

You need .NET Framework 1.1, says right so on the page you downloaded
the drivers from.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

peter

There is Catalyst Control Center and the old Catalyst control Panel.The
"CLI.EXE" is part of Control Center...which is a bloated useless piece of
software that hogs resources.It also needs NET Framework to work.Whereas the
Control Panel does not and is a much smaller program that does most of what CCC
does.In the Future maybe ATI will get CCC right but for now I have deleted it
from my system as have most people and have stuck with CCP.
I suggest you do the same.
peter

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message news:<PiX7d.14259$223.9261@edtnps89>...
> There is Catalyst Control Center and the old Catalyst control Panel.The
> "CLI.EXE" is part of Control Center...which is a bloated useless piece of
> software that hogs resources.It also needs NET Framework to work.Whereas the
> Control Panel does not and is a much smaller program that does most of what
> does.In the Future maybe ATI will get CCC right but for now I have deleted
> from my system as have most people and have stuck with CCP.

I think I may not have been clear in my original post. I *did*
install the Radeon drivers, as well as the control panel. But I did
not install the "CLI.EXE" which is the Catalyst Control Center, I
think.

I guess I'm just asking if I'm missing much (in the way of features)
by not having the Catalyst Control Center on my computer.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Opticreep wrote:
> Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
> this "catalyst" program load properly?

The ATI 'catalyst' is the name for the set of drivers for ATI Radeon
Cards,and yes you need to have them instaled properly if you want to
play any games or do any work on the computer.But I don't think that
catalyst isn't instaled on your comp,I would say that there is a problem
with the CP or Control Center.Anyways try to install the newest Catalyst
version from the ATI site but prior to that Uninstall the existing
Catalyst set.

peter

this off the ATI website

Why does the CATALYSTT Control Center require 3 "CLI.exe" files as well a
"Preview.exe" file?

A10: The CATALYSTT Control Center has been separated into different
components (a unique instance of CLI.exe per component) because it allows us to
tune the characteristics of the process instance to the type of component. One
component is called the "Runtime", which acts as a server to all of the other
client components. The two other client components are the "User-Interface" and
the "System Tray". The client "CLI.exe"s are tuned differently to enhance
performance; the "User-Interface" client is optimized to run for short periods
of time, whereas the "System Tray" client is designed to run for long periods of
time. The "preview.exe" file (used for the 3D preview) is a based on the Win32
process (whereas the rest of the CATALYSTT Control Center is based on the .NET
framework), and is strictly an OpenGL application. Note that the preview
"preview.exe" process is used only when the "User-Interface" is operating, and
is ended as soon as the CATALYSTT Control Center is closed

peter

Tim

Opticreep wrote:
> Fresh Windows XP install on a new hard drive for my Athlon 64 system.
> Hard drive is clean, except for Windows XP, plus all the latest
> drivers included with a comprehensive Windows Update routine and
> Service Pack 2.
>
> I download the latest drivers for the Radeon 9800 Pro at ATI's
> website. Install the drivers, reboot, and then... at windows startup,
> I get an error message as soon as Catalyst tries to load. It's some
> mumbo jumbo about failing to initialize, and that "cli.exe" has caused
> an error. Even if I try to run catalyst manually, I get the same
> error.
>
> Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
> this "catalyst" program load properly?
Also, istalling the proper monitor.inf file for your brand of monitor
usually solves the problem too. Using a standard "Plug and PLay monitor"
inf file will limit your refresh rate.

Tim wrote:

> Opticreep wrote:
>> Fresh Windows XP install on a new hard drive for my Athlon 64 system.
>> Hard drive is clean, except for Windows XP, plus all the latest
>> drivers included with a comprehensive Windows Update routine and
>> Service Pack 2.
>>
>> I download the latest drivers for the Radeon 9800 Pro at ATI's
>> website. Install the drivers, reboot, and then... at windows startup,
>> I get an error message as soon as Catalyst tries to load. It's some
>> mumbo jumbo about failing to initialize, and that "cli.exe" has caused
>> an error. Even if I try to run catalyst manually, I get the same
>> error.
>>
>> Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
>> this "catalyst" program load properly?
> Also, istalling the proper monitor.inf file for your brand of monitor
> usually solves the problem too. Using a standard "Plug and PLay monitor"
> inf file will limit your refresh rate.

Not in any current version of Windows. Contemporary monitors can inform the
video board of their available refresh rates and this facility is supported
by Windows, while .inf files specific to a monitor will be ignored.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fresh Windows XP install on a new hard drive for my Athlon 64 system.
> Hard drive is clean, except for Windows XP, plus all the latest
> drivers included with a comprehensive Windows Update routine and
> Service Pack 2.
>
> I download the latest drivers for the Radeon 9800 Pro at ATI's
> website. Install the drivers, reboot, and then... at windows startup,
> I get an error message as soon as Catalyst tries to load. It's some
> mumbo jumbo about failing to initialize, and that "cli.exe" has caused
> an error. Even if I try to run catalyst manually, I get the same
> error.
>
> Any idea what might be causing this? Am I missing a lot by not having
> this "catalyst" program load properly?

This error occurs if you do not have .net framework 1.1 installed. You can
download and install it from the Windows Update Site.
If you do not want to install .net framework for whatever reason,
alternatively, you can uninstall the drivers and reinstall them using the
"Custom" option and choose to install the Standard Control Panel instead of
the Catalyst Control Center that requires .net framework 1.1 (make sure the
Catalyst Control Center option in the custom install is not checked to
achieve that).
I hope this helps.