Accessing Information from another hard drive...

I have 2 computers - main and secondary, both with thier own versions of
windows XP on it.
The one computer, the main, the one I use all the time - died on me in the
middle of an online computer game. It's dead, power supply is shot and
probably the motherboard / CPU. I'm a computer person and I decided to take
the hard drive out and hook it up to my other/secondary computer as the slave
drive, to get all my pictures and stuff off of it - but I have to log on
using a password - it's password protected and I can't access the information
on that drive.

I can't hook my "main" hard drive up to my secondary computer as the master
hard drive because it says there are changes and the blue screen of death and
restarts.

How can I access the information on the "main" hard drive?

Malke

Nightgem wrote:

> I have 2 computers - main and secondary, both with thier own versions
> of windows XP on it.
> The one computer, the main, the one I use all the time - died on me in
> the
> middle of an online computer game. It's dead, power supply is shot
> and
> probably the motherboard / CPU. I'm a computer person and I decided
> to take the hard drive out and hook it up to my other/secondary
> computer as the slave drive, to get all my pictures and stuff off of
> it - but I have to log on using a password - it's password protected
> and I can't access the information on that drive.
>
> I can't hook my "main" hard drive up to my secondary computer as the
> master hard drive because it says there are changes and the blue
> screen of death and restarts.
>
> How can I access the information on the "main" hard drive?

No, you will not be able to hook the "main" hard drive as master in the
secondary computer; the hardware is too different. Slave the hard drive
in your secondary computer or any computer that has two cd drives, one
of which must be a burner. Then boot with Knoppix, a Linux distro on a
live cd. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet
connection and third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso
from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then boot with it and
it will be able to see the Windows files and the passwords/permission
won't matter. Use the K3b burning program to burn the files to
cd/dvd-r's.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User