Radeon 9500 Pro - display corruption

Hi,

I've recently replaced the graphics card in my main PC, going from a 9500
Pro to a GeForce 6800. I'm trying to re-use the 9500 Pro in a second PC,
replacing an 8500, but I'm getting intermittent display corruption in
Windows XP. The PC seems to boot from cold fine, but sometimes on rebooting
I'll get black dots all over the screen. When the PC boots without display
corruption, it seems content to keep working fine - I've thrown 3DMark 03 &
2001 SE at it without any problems.

Any ideas what is causing the problem? I believe the card to be OK - it was
OK when it came out of my main PC and it's been in an anti-static bag since.
The PC I'm trying to get it to work in is as follows:

Athlon XP 2000+
ABIT KV7 MB
512Mb PC2100
Radeon 9500 Pro (128Mb, branded HIS, Catalyst 4.9)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Player 1024
Windows XP Home
Latest drivers, BIOS, updates etc.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

It could be the power supply ( I had this happen with an generic PS) and it
could be heat. I would look at both.

Randy

"Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It could be the power supply ( I had this happen with an generic PS) and
it
> could be heat. I would look at both.

Thanks for the reply.

PSU is a 360-watt Chieftec - not massive, I know, but I have another 9500
Pro running on a 300-watt Enlight with virtually the same stuff in the
case - DVD-ROM, CD-RW, but one less HDD and one less 80mm fan. So I suppose
that could be it.

I doubt it's heat, though. The Chieftec case it's gone into is virtually
identical to the Antec case it came out of, only with less PCI cards. Plus,
when it boots properly, I can run 3DMark without a single image glitch.

JB

Tim

Justin Baker <justin.baker@ wrote:
> "Randy" <cakeman47@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>It could be the power supply ( I had this happen with an generic PS) and
>
> it
>
>>could be heat. I would look at both.
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> PSU is a 360-watt Chieftec - not massive, I know, but I have another 9500
> Pro running on a 300-watt Enlight with virtually the same stuff in the
> case - DVD-ROM, CD-RW, but one less HDD and one less 80mm fan. So I suppose
> that could be it.
>
> I doubt it's heat, though. The Chieftec case it's gone into is virtually
> identical to the Antec case it came out of, only with less PCI cards. Plus,
> when it boots properly, I can run 3DMark without a single image glitch.
>
> JB

I suggest using Driver Cleaner 3 on the system that you want to throw it
into. Clean out all instances of ATI Drivers and start fresh. You can
get it a http://www.guru3d.com in the downloads section. Just follow the
instructions in the readme for your OS and then reinstall the drivers
for the 9500 and you should be fine.