I need a new card for $150.

Can anybody recommend one for this price (give or take a few $)?

On 10/5/2004 3:16 AM Key-Bored brightened our day with:

>Can anybody recommend one for this price (give or take a few $)?

Refurbished, not new, but probably the best deal.
http://tinyurl.com/6v4b8

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Key-Bored" <f@home.com> wrote in message

" Can anybody recommend one for this price (give or take a few $)? "

Add $50 and get a 9800 Pro.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Inglo wrote:
> On 10/5/2004 3:16 AM Key-Bored brightened our day with:
>
>> Can anybody recommend one for this price (give or take a few $)?
>>

> Refurbished, not new, but probably the best deal.
> http://tinyurl.com/6v4b8

Or you can wait 2-3 months and buy a X700(AGP version) that's twice as
fast then a 9800 PRO.

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:36:49 +0200, Glitch <Glitch_120@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Or you can wait 2-3 months and buy a X700(AGP version) that's twice as
>fast then a 9800 PRO.

In most cases it is not, not even the X700 XT.
On a P4 3,2 GHz. AGP-board; Intels own 875P. PCI-E-board; Intels own
925X (with the same GPU, the performance between this systems are
minimal -- e.g. with a GeForce 6800GT I have about the exact same
results).

3DMark03, 1024x768:
Radeon 9800 Pro: 6253
X700 XT 8257

3DMark03, 1024x768, 4xAA:
Radeon 9800 Pro: 4946
X700 XT: 3778

Doom III, 1024x768:
Radeon 9800 Pro: 37,6
X700 XT:44,6

Doom III, 1024x768, 4xAA/8xAF:
Radeon 9800 Pro: 22,6
X700XT:26,6

3DMark05:
Radeon 9800 Pro: 2308
X700XT: 3099

Remember that the X700 XT is a bit more expensive than the Radeon 9800
Pro. My guess is that a standard X700 (Non-Pro, Non-XT) will be slower
than the the Radeon 9800 Pro. With the prices now, also a Radeon X700
Pro is more expensive than a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I will guess the
X700 will end up on about the same price.

Another element: ATI have not annonced AGP-versions of these boards,
and have at the time not said there will be an AGP-version at all.
What could be, it that we see a decrease in price on the Radeon 9800XT
also, if ATI don't decide to discontinue it.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Clas Mehus wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:36:49 +0200, Glitch <Glitch_120@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> Another element: ATI have not annonced AGP-versions of these boards,
> and have at the time not said there will be an AGP-version at all.
> What could be, it that we see a decrease in price on the Radeon 9800XT
> also, if ATI don't decide to discontinue it.

I heard they anounced the AGP X700 cards to be released in December.

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:59:33 +0200, Glitch <Glitch_120@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I heard they anounced the AGP X700 cards to be released in December.

Well, that something completly different from what I've heared from
ATI just three days ago. They are not saying that they will not come
with AGP-cards, but there is no date set for it, and that it will
depend on what their customers wants.

From a marketing pov, I guess it will be much easier to have the same
series with AGP and PCI. And even if there ain't necessarily a
increase in performance with the X700 over the Radeon 9800, you can
promote it as something new. If the price was the same, many would buy
a X700-series board over a Radeon 9800-series board because they will
think "it's newer, and therefor should be better".

Continues use of the Radeon 9800-series as AGP make sense. The Radeon
9800 is a AGP-chip, while the X700 is a native PCI-E-chip and a
PCI-E-to-AGP-bridge will be needed. From a technical pov, the
R4xx-architecture is more of a "evolution" of the R3xx-architecture.
E.g. both are VS/PS 2.0 (well, 2.0b for R4xx, but..) -- baiscly more
frequency and more pipelines are they most importen key in this
development for more speed. For Nvidias part, they don't have any good
alternatives on the AGP-side, as the former generation, NV3x, can
really compete -- e.g. FX5900XT vs. Radeon 9800 Pro. The differences
between a NV3x-board and a NV4x-board is much larger than the
difference between a R3xx and a R4xx. Nvidia needs the 6600-series in
the AGP-segment more than ATI needs the X700 in the AGP-segment. Well,
Nvidia has the 6800LE in the same segment, but this design is much
slower than the 6600GT, and I will guess cost more to manufacturer.

I guess we will see what is coming. But if there is a X700 AGP, it
don't have to be better than the Radeon 9800 Pro. If there is a X700
AGP, maybe the price on the Radeon 9800 Pro falls futher, and making
it a better choice...

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
"Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Isn't the FX5900XT only 128 bit compared to the 9800 Pro 256 bit ?

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:16:42 -0400, "RonK" <hereiam@homenow.com> wrote:

>Isn't the FX5900XT only 128 bit compared to the 9800 Pro 256 bit ?

The FX5900XT has a 256-bit memorybus. The memorybandwidth of a
standard FX5900XT should be the same as on the 256 MB-version of
Radeon 9800 Pro (22,4 GB/sek). The 256 MB-version, by standanrd spec,
should have 350 MHz memoryspeed while the 128 MB-versjon have 340 MHz.

But spec's don't have to say much for the real performance....

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
"Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

OK Thanks