Which Radeon 9600?

Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the price
of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run Half-Life 2
pretty well.....

Frank

"Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the price
> of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
> difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run Half-Life
> 2 pretty well.....
>
> Frank
--------------------
Toms Hardware has a good comparison of the different versions of ATI
Radeon boards.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031015/index.html

Worth a look anyhow.

Don F

a regular 9600? therell be a reasonable difference between the vanilla 9600
and a 9600XT but not worth upgrading

"Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the price
> of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
> difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run Half-Life
> 2 pretty well.....
>
> Frank

"Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the price
> of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
> difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run Half-Life
> 2 pretty well.....

That would be an awfully small upgrade for the price. If you really feel
the need to upgrade consider getting the 9700. It's remarkably faster than
the 9600 and not much more expensive. You may not find it in a local shop
but you can find it online. I got mine from a shop listed with pricewatch
and I am delighted with it.

Don F wrote:
> "Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the price
>>of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
>>difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run Half-Life
>>2 pretty well.....
>>
>>Frank
>
> --------------------
> Toms Hardware has a good comparison of the different versions of ATI
> Radeon boards.
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031015/index.html
>
> Worth a look anyhow.
>
> Don F

Whoa... that's Tom's old hardware listings. Use the latest version with
the latest benchmarks
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Still listing the old Ti4200's and they can still beat a few
"cost-effective" FX cards. :)
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

rat

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

"Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote in message
> Don F wrote:
>> "Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Several months ago I bought a Radeon 9600 with 256 MB. I now see the
>>>price of the 9600XT 128 MB is down to the same price. Is there that much
>>>difference in performance between the two? My 9600 seems to run
>>>Half-Life 2 pretty well.....
>>>
>>>Frank
>>
>> --------------------
>> Toms Hardware has a good comparison of the different versions of ATI
>> Radeon boards.
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031015/index.html
>>
>> Worth a look anyhow.
>>
>> Don F
>>

> Whoa... that's Tom's old hardware listings. Use the latest version with
> the latest benchmarks
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
>
> Still listing the old Ti4200's and they can still beat a few
> "cost-effective" FX cards. :)

Hey not so much of the old please... mature will do ;-)) still more than
happy with mine even though it would embarrass me to say I how much I paid
for it about eighteen months ago only to see the price plummet by £50 only a
month later!! ;-(

Ah well... they do say that he who hesitates gets the cheaper pc..
;-)

rat

rat wrote:
> "Jethro[AGHL]" <me@work.no> wrote in message
>
>>Don F wrote:
>>
>>>"Frank Bals" <fjb@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>>--------------------
>>> Toms Hardware has a good comparison of the different versions of ATI
>>>Radeon boards.
>>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031015/index.html
>>>
>>>Worth a look anyhow.
>>>
>>>Don F
>>>

>>Whoa... that's Tom's old hardware listings. Use the latest version with
>>the latest benchmarks
>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
>>
>>Still listing the old Ti4200's and they can still beat a few
>>"cost-effective" FX cards. :)
>

> Hey not so much of the old please... mature will do ;-)) still more than
> happy with mine even though it would embarrass me to say I how much I paid
> for it about eighteen months ago only to see the price plummet by £50 only a
> month later!! ;-(
>
> Ah well... they do say that he who hesitates gets the cheaper pc..
> ;-)
>
> rat

Well I've been the beggar guy who buys the used parts from friends that
have upgraded. I bought the Ti4200 8x from my friend when he got his
ATI9800pro. Sold my old GF3 Ti200 to my brother. Overall cost was about
$60 for the 4200.
Now I just got to get my friend to get a new card so I can scoff his
9800pro.

*sigh* I recall when I used to be the top dog with new parts. :-\