Intermittent Internet Dropouts

I have 2 XP based desktop machines on a wireless network using the Netgear WGR614 Router. Both connect well to the Internet and and display very good to excellent signal strength. One machine, however, (an HP) has intermittent dropouts. These either fix themselves, with a balloon at the lower right announcing connection, or can be fixed by going to the "refresh" utility. My first thought, since it's just one machine and not the other, is that it is a firewall issue in the HP, but I'm really just shooting in the dark. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi there DZigas,

In your case, as the other wireless computer stays connected to the router,
the problem can to narrowed down to the HP computer itself. Pl follow the
below troubleshooting steps:

If you have any firewall on your laptop for e.g zone alarm, Norton Internet
security, Macfee etc, then try disabling the same and see if the problem
persists.

You may also try reinstalling the card and updating the wireless card
drivers. The update drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's
support site.

Also, login to the router page and try disabling the SPI firewall on the
router. You may also temporarily disable the encryption/access list on the
router and see if the problem persists.

Furthermore, signals may be affected my cordless fones[2.4Ghz], microwaves,
large metal objects, fish tanks, building materials, walls and distance.

Finally, you may also try updating the WGR614 router's firmware. For more
info email to support@netgear.com

HTH
Venkatesh

"DZigas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 XP based desktop machines on a wireless network using the Netgear
WGR614 Router. Both connect well to the Internet and and display very good
to excellent signal strength. One machine, however, (an HP) has intermittent
dropouts. These either fix themselves, with a balloon at the lower right
announcing connection, or can be fixed by going to the "refresh" utility. My
first thought, since it's just one machine and not the other, is that it is
a firewall issue in the HP, but I'm really just shooting in the dark. Any
ideas? Thanks.

Venkatesh -- Thanks for your suggestions. An anonymous poster on the Wireless Networking board suggested a fix, which seems (I'm keeping my fingers crossed) to have fixed it, which I pass along for others who may be having the same problem. The software for each PCI card has a setting for "enabling 802.11 authorization" or something like that.

The problem computer had that enabled; the trouble-free computer had that disabled. Once I disabled it on the problem computer, the dropouts stopped. -- David

jr

Exact ! Unfortunatly, Windows seems to have this function
enabled by default....
Disable "enabling 802.11 authorization" in your wireless
properties and the disconnects will go away...
JR