My windows XP pro install recently died while I was attempting to repair it.
Basically I was blue-screening on boot and nothing I tried would fix it. So
I removed that windows installation and installed on a different physical
drive. Now, the problem I'm having is that some of my files were encrypted
using my old install. How do I remove the encryption to salvage the files if
I'm not the creator? \

For the record I've tried taking control of the directories and using the
decrypt option. But it just keeps giving me the access denied message, what
should I do?

"sad geoff" <sad geoff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My windows XP pro install recently died while I was attempting to repair
> it.
> Basically I was blue-screening on boot and nothing I tried would fix it.
> So
> I removed that windows installation and installed on a different physical
> drive. Now, the problem I'm having is that some of my files were
> encrypted
> using my old install. How do I remove the encryption to salvage the files
> if
> I'm not the creator? \
>
> For the record I've tried taking control of the directories and using the
> decrypt option. But it just keeps giving me the access denied message,
> what
> should I do?

Do you have a backup of your previous installation. You need the efs
certificate and associated key from your old profile. Without it the files
are not recoverable.

Kerry