Hello,

I've recently gone from 'Dial Up' to 'Adsl' & im curious about what
would be the best way to intergrate my Lan with my ADSL connection so i can
have complete access to my current lan & also have each client connect
directly to ADSL.
Im connecting via a "Linksys 'router'" & all that is working fine,
each one of my clients get's it's IP via the 'linksys DHCP', Im running
XP-SP2 with all the latest patches,norton 2005 & Zonealarm Pro on all
client's- my issue being is that if i set my clients to receive a DHCP then i
can access ADSL but it kills all the configuration on my Lan (which includes
'Vmware' servers which i use for piloting & ghosting clients , aswell as a XP
File Server & also a few printers i have printing via Manual IP (So in the
end I'm sacrificing one for the other) > as the DHCP is on a class C with
192.168.1.X & my Lan is on a class c but with 10.0.0.X - I'm not all that
fluent with security so my questions are...
Is it true & correct that 'Private IPs ' with 192.168.X.X & 10.0.X.X cannot
be routed & therefore internet users cannot ping nor see my Lan clients ? The
only way i can think to get around this is by adding an additional NIC on
each client but i dont belive it to be the most cost efficient solution -
need advice or at least a point in the right direction.
I certainly dont want be hacked as much as anybody else however security
should'nt mean that life is made more difficult - any advise would be highly
appreciated.

From: "droids" <droids @discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hello,
|
| I've recently gone from 'Dial Up' to 'Adsl' & im curious about what
| would be the best way to intergrate my Lan with my ADSL connection so i can
| have complete access to my current lan & also have each client connect
| directly to ADSL.
| Im connecting via a "Linksys 'router'" & all that is working fine,
| each one of my clients get's it's IP via the 'linksys DHCP', Im running
| XP-SP2 with all the latest patches,norton 2005 & Zonealarm Pro on all
| client's- my issue being is that if i set my clients to receive a DHCP then i
| can access ADSL but it kills all the configuration on my Lan (which includes
| 'Vmware' servers which i use for piloting & ghosting clients , aswell as a XP
| File Server & also a few printers i have printing via Manual IP (So in the
| end I'm sacrificing one for the other) > as the DHCP is on a class C with
| 192.168.1.X & my Lan is on a class c but with 10.0.0.X - I'm not all that
| fluent with security so my questions are...
| Is it true & correct that 'Private IPs ' with 192.168.X.X & 10.0.X.X cannot
| be routed & therefore internet users cannot ping nor see my Lan clients ? The
| only way i can think to get around this is by adding an additional NIC on
| each client but i dont belive it to be the most cost efficient solution -
| need advice or at least a point in the right direction.
| I certainly dont want be hacked as much as anybody else however security
| should'nt mean that life is made more difficult - any advise would be highly
| appreciated.

That's why they call it Pivate Adressing !

The Router uses Network Address Translation (NAT) and becuase of this NAT acts as a
simplistic FireWall.

However, to increase your security, I always suggest that you block both TCP and UDP ports
135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm