8500 126Meg Unit -run w/o fan?

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002

Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
had experience with this?

Too much heat?

I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
SILENT - except for this fan.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Randall wrote:
> Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
> wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
> had experience with this?
>
> Too much heat?
>
> I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
> SILENT - except for this fan.
If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.

Glitch wrote:

> Randall wrote:
>> Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
>> wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
>> had experience with this?
>>
>> Too much heat?
>>
>> I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
>> SILENT - except for this fan.
> If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
> large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.

The problem with the 8500 is that the old heatsink is bonded to the chip,
not screw-mounted like the 9000 series and later. Getting it off is not
for the faint of heart.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002

>Glitch wrote:
>
>> Randall wrote:
>>> Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
>>> wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
>>> had experience with this?
>>>
>>> Too much heat?
>>>
>>> I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
>>> SILENT - except for this fan.
>> If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
>> large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.
>
>The problem with the 8500 is that the old heatsink is bonded to the chip,
>not screw-mounted like the 9000 series and later. Getting it off is not
>for the faint of heart.

True, I could also mount ANOTHER heatsink TO the old one and pop a fan
on it - the question is, has anyone dis-connected the fan?

I notice some of the 9700's have large heatsink's.......

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002

>Randall wrote:
>> Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
>> wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
>> had experience with this?
>>
>> Too much heat?
>>
>> I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
>> SILENT - except for this fan.

>If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
>large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.

Tack another heatsinkto the old one?

That won't have eniugh contact to transfer heat, it will be worse than just
taking the fan off.

mike

"Randall" <support@rch-usa.PULL-MY-FINGER.com> wrote in message
> >Randall wrote:
>>> Fan'smaking too much noise - even after I oiled it, and I'm
>>> wondering.... I've seen a bunch being sold without the fans, anyone
>>> had experience with this?
>>>
>>> Too much heat?
>>>
>>> I really don't want to upgrade or buy another, but the HTPC is no DEAD
>>> SILENT - except for this fan.
>
>>If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
>>large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.
>
> Tack another heatsinkto the old one?

Its not impossible to get the ones bonded to the chip off, usually a half
hour in a ziplock in the freezer, and some gentle twisting pops them right
off.

"Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> That won't have eniugh contact to transfer heat, it will be worse than
> just taking the fan off.
>
> mike
>
> "Randall" <support@rch-usa.PULL-MY-FINGER.com> wrote in message

>>>If you don't overclock the card I think you might be able to pass with a
>>>large heatsink on the card and a silent case fan blowing on the card.
>>
>> Tack another heatsinkto the old one?

randall

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002

>That won't have eniugh contact to transfer heat, it will be worse than just
>taking the fan off.

Unless I put a hole in it to PUSH the air through to the original
heatsink - no?

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:45:28 -0400, "A. Bahm" <bahmanth@msu.edu> wrote:

>Its not impossible to get the ones bonded to the chip off, usually a half
>hour in a ziplock in the freezer, and some gentle twisting pops them right
>off.

Was going to remind the community how we did it in those days, but you
already did.

>"Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> That won't have eniugh contact to transfer heat, it will be worse than
>> just taking the fan off.

>> mike

>> "Randall" <support@rch-usa.PULL-MY-FINGER.com> wrote in message

>>> Tack another heatsinkto the old one?