Lost Admin Password

Okay, I am trying to do the repair off the system cd-rom that comes with the
computer, because Windows is messed up right now, and my System Restores
don't go back far enough. When it asks me which instalation I would like to
repair, then it asks for the administrater's password. Well, it has been a
long time since I installed Windows, and I can't remember it. Is there any
place at all in my computer where I can find it, or reset it? If so, email me
at alexiel_animus@yahoo.com Thank you all.
8 answers Last reply
More about lost admin password

    Something here should help:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Avanindra" <Avanindra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, I am trying to do the repair off the system cd-rom that comes with
    > the
    > computer, because Windows is messed up right now, and my System Restores
    > don't go back far enough. When it asks me which instalation I would like
    > repair, then it asks for the administrater's password. Well, it has been a
    > long time since I installed Windows, and I can't remember it. Is there any
    > place at all in my computer where I can find it, or reset it? If so, email
    > me
    > at alexiel_animus@yahoo.com Thank you all.

    That method would work fine and dandy if it were the Windows passwords to
    reset, but I need to reset the system password. I am on the machine right now
    that I am trying to fix, but I cannot run the repair utility off of the cd
    unless I have the system password, and I have tried everything I figure I
    would have made the password. Thnk you though. Email me if anyone finds a
    solution. alexiel_animus@yahoo.com

    From: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#30
    Item #21

    Fix For Correct Password Not Accepted Bug
    1. Install Recovery Console.
    To do so, open a command box in Win XP:
    (select Start | Run, then type cmd); then, at the command prompt,
    type D:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons (replace D: with the letter for your CD
    drive).
    The installation will proceed, after which you can choose the Recovery Console
    from the Windows boot screen.

    (The Bug)

    There is a bug in WinXP which prevents you from using Recovery Console
    even though the right password is typed when prompted....
    So, here's the trick.
    2. Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console
    3. Reboot into WinXP.
    4. Select Start | Run, then type regedit Go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup
    \RecoveryConsole Change the SecurityLevel DWORD value data to 1.
    5. Reboot the PC

    Avanindra wrote:
    > That method would work fine and dandy if it were the Windows
    > passwords to reset, but I need to reset the system password. I am on
    > the machine right now that I am trying to fix, but I cannot run the
    > repair utility off of the cd unless I have the system password, and I
    > have tried everything I figure I would have made the password. Thnk
    > you though.

    If this is Windows XP (as it seems to be) then the "Administrators" password
    *is* a Windows password.
    You likely do not log into the machine as the administrator (definitely do
    not if you are using Windows XP Home edition) - but there is a user named
    "administrator" on your PC unless you have renamed it to something else
    (highly unlikely.) Your easiest option:

    Change the Administrator user's password in Windows. Try the:

    Start --> Run
    control userpasswords2
    OK.

    method and highligh the "Administrator" user and click on the "reset
    password" button and reset the password there. Then try your repair
    install. I am unsure if it will be that easy if you have Windows XP Home
    edition - some of this may concern having to boot into Safe mode.

    If worse comes to worse, you can indeed "hack" the administrators password
    using one of the many methods of doing so on the Internet.

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    What it sounds like to me is that you are trying to use the recovery console
    and it is asking you for the original administrator password you set when
    you first installed the computer. One of the methods above should get you
    beyond that point.

    However, if as others suggest in this thread - you are speaking of your
    computer BIOS (hardware) password - then you will have to refer to your
    computers user manual on how to reset that.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Avanindra wrote:
    > That method would work fine and dandy if it were the Windows passwords to
    > reset, but I need to reset the system password.

    Do you mean the BIOS password?

    Okay. Thank you everyone. I have gotten Windows running again normally, but
    not before I found out about the bug that MAP said about. I reinstalled
    Windows on the system, and now I have it running okay. But I have a new
    problem. I cannot get into the files I had set as private in NTFS format with
    my old user account. Is there any way to get them back? They are still there,
    just I have no access to them.

    Thanx,
    Avanindra

    Avanindra wrote:

    > Okay. Thank you everyone. I have gotten Windows running again
    > normally, but not before I found out about the bug that MAP said
    > about. I reinstalled Windows on the system, and now I have it running
    > okay. But I have a new problem. I cannot get into the files I had set
    > as private in NTFS format with my old user account. Is there any way
    > to get them back? They are still there, just I have no access to them.
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Avanindra
    >
    > "MAP" wrote:
    >

    >> "Avanindra" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Okay, I am trying to do the repair off the system cd-rom that comes
    >> > with the computer, because Windows is messed up right now, and my
    >> > System Restores don't go back far enough. When it asks me which
    >> > instalation I would like to repair, then it asks for the
    >> > administrater's password. Well, it has been a long time since I
    >> > installed Windows, and I can't remember it. Is there any place at
    >> > all in my computer where I can find it, or reset it? If so, email
    >> > me
    >> > at alexiel_animus@yahoo.com Thank you all.
    >>

    >> From: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#30
    >> Item #21
    >>
    >> Fix For Correct Password Not Accepted Bug
    >> 1. Install Recovery Console.
    >> To do so, open a command box in Win XP:
    >> (select Start | Run, then type cmd); then, at the command prompt,
    >> type D:\i386\winnt32.exe/cmdcons (replace D: with the letter for your
    >> CD drive).
    >> The installation will proceed, after which you can choose the
    >> Recovery Console from the Windows boot screen.
    >>
    >> (The Bug)
    >>
    >> There is a bug in WinXP which prevents you from using Recovery
    >> Console even though the right password is typed when prompted....
    >> So, here's the trick.
    >> 2. Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console
    >> 3. Reboot into WinXP.
    >> 4. Select Start | Run, then type regedit Go to:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup
    >> \RecoveryConsole Change the SecurityLevel DWORD value data to 1.
    >> 5. Reboot the PC

    Take ownership:

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --

    > Okay. Thank you everyone. I have gotten Windows running again normally,
    > but
    > not before I found out about the bug that MAP said about. I reinstalled
    > Windows on the system, and now I have it running okay. But I have a new
    > problem. I cannot get into the files I had set as private in NTFS format
    > with
    > my old user account. Is there any way to get them back? They are still
    > there,
    > just I have no access to them.
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Avanindra