Source dedicated server requirements

Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so will
i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
advice is much appreciated.

TIA
:-)
3 answers Last reply
More about source dedicated server requirements

    You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with an AMD XP 2000
    cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL connection...
    Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to network since
    my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
    >server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
    >servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
    >alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
    >have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
    >pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so will
    >i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
    >base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
    >advice is much appreciated.
    >
    >TIA
    >:-)

    my dsl is 750/256 but i only want 6 players max on it. if i use a base unit
    like yours and my main pc at the same time will it compromise the gameplay
    alot?
    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    > You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with
    > an AMD XP 2000
    > cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL
    > connection...
    > Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to
    > network since
    > my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...
    >
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick"
    > <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
    >>server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
    >>servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
    >>alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
    >>have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
    >>pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so
    >>will
    >>i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
    >>base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
    >>advice is much appreciated.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>:-)

    I think it would run but I'm not an expert at this... I am but an egg...:)

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:08:07 -0000, "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >my dsl is 750/256 but i only want 6 players max on it. if i use a base unit
    >like yours and my main pc at the same time will it compromise the gameplay
    >alot?
    >"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    >> You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with
    >> an AMD XP 2000
    >> cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL
    >> connection...
    >> Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to
    >> network since
    >> my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...
    >>
    >> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick"
    >> <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
    >>>server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
    >>>servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
    >>>alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
    >>>have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
    >>>pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so
    >>>will
    >>>i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
    >>>base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
    >>>advice is much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>:-)

Dedicated Server Games Video Games