ATI AWI 9600XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 8, 2004 2:01:26 AM

Am considering purchase of subject card.

My Intel MB has on-board sound. 9600XT manual calls for
a physical connection from AIW card to sound card input.
Since MB has no sound input (sound works fine currently)
will the 9600XT provide sound via the MB w/o a cable
connection?

Thanks.

More about : ati awi 9600xt

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:59:44 PM

Without the connection to the sound card on the MB, the AIW tuner would not
be able pass the sound to the card. There should be pins somewhere on your
MB to connect the AIW tuner. Look beside where the sound cord from your
CD/DVD plugs in. There may be an extra set of pins. On my Dell these pins
are the PhoneIn. Who would figure.
October 8, 2004 3:02:25 PM

Appreciate your answering so soon. MB has no identifiable sound input,
jacks or connectors. In fact there is no sound cable from either CD-RW
or DVD
drives yet both play sound and music thru the external speakers. I built
this sys myself about two years ago using an Intel MB of high quality/cost;
both sound and LAN are on-board. Of course this MB has long since become
unsupported by Intel, not even by email so I can't get info from them.
I've
emailed ATI but really don't expect an answer; be very surprised if they
do and even more surprised if the answer is useful. My only real hope
is that
some user has has a somewhat like setup and will pass the word, 'yes' or
'no' from experience.

Thanks again.
Jack.

Todd Thompson wrote:
> Without the connection to the sound card on the MB, the AIW tuner would not
> be able pass the sound to the card. There should be pins somewhere on your
> MB to connect the AIW tuner. Look beside where the sound cord from your
> CD/DVD plugs in. There may be an extra set of pins. On my Dell these pins
> are the PhoneIn. Who would figure.
October 8, 2004 5:59:08 PM

Obviously, I am not looking at your system. Are the external speakers
attached to the MB through the back of the computer (ie. LineOut or
SpeakerOut), or are you plugging them into the sound out port on the front
of the DVD or CD drive? I have never had a system where the sound out on
the back of the CD or DVD drive is not attached to the system's sound card
or MB.
October 8, 2004 7:08:19 PM

Todd Thompson wrote:

> Obviously, I am not looking at your system. Are the external speakers
> attached to the MB through the back of the computer (ie. LineOut or
> SpeakerOut), or are you plugging them into the sound out port on the front
> of the DVD or CD drive? I have never had a system where the sound out on
> the back of the CD or DVD drive is not attached to the system's sound card
> or MB.

I've tried to clarify the situation in another msg. Since everyone has
a diff config, it's hard for anyone to visualize what's being presented.

External spkrs are plugged into MB. There is no sound output jack
on the front of Hp DVD drive; there is a sound o/p jack on the back
for connection to a sound card (not installed) or MB (not there).
The "LG" CD drive has an o/p jack in front.

I never had a sys w/o cable sound connection either but this is the
first MB on-board sound sys I've had so I don't know how it works
and so far I haven't been able to contact anyone who does know.
Haven't been able to find anything online or in this NG. Will have to
expand my search.

Thanks for at least listening to my wailing.
Jack
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 4:55:12 AM

"Jack" <ljkahn4@cox.net> wrote in message
> Appreciate your answering so soon. MB has no identifiable sound input,
> jacks or connectors. In fact there is no sound cable from either CD-RW
> or DVD
> drives yet both play sound and music thru the external speakers. I built
> this sys myself about two years ago using an Intel MB of high
quality/cost;
> both sound and LAN are on-board. Of course this MB has long since become
> unsupported by Intel, not even by email so I can't get info from them.
> I've
> emailed ATI but really don't expect an answer; be very surprised if they
> do and even more surprised if the answer is useful. My only real hope
> is that
> some user has has a somewhat like setup and will pass the word, 'yes' or
> 'no' from experience.
>
> Thanks again.
> Jack.
>

> Todd Thompson wrote:
> > Without the connection to the sound card on the MB, the AIW tuner would
not
> > be able pass the sound to the card. There should be pins somewhere on
your
> > MB to connect the AIW tuner. Look beside where the sound cord from your
> > CD/DVD plugs in. There may be an extra set of pins. On my Dell these
pins
> > are the PhoneIn. Who would figure.

What is the model of your M/B? I have an D845EPT2 The internal sound
connectors are real close to the back panel plugs. One is black and the
other is white. They face each other, if they are the same color it might
look like one big connector. One is CD-ROM in and the other is Aux(line) in.
Hard to imagine it wouldn't at least have a connector for a CD-ROM.

The boards aren't supported with help but they should still have your M/B's
manual and support files on the website.
!