Help please?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Where can I go to learn about online gaming? I know nothing about it. I need
everything....where to look, game play, etiquette, etc. I'm experienced in
SP only.....HL1, OF and BS about a dozen times each. Far Cry twice and just
completed HL2 for the third time. Can online gaming be any better or more
fun? I'd like to find out.

Thanks in advance.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:03 -0500, "Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Where can I go to learn about online gaming? I know nothing about it. I need
>everything....where to look, game play, etiquette, etc. I'm experienced in
>SP only.....HL1, OF and BS about a dozen times each. Far Cry twice and just
>completed HL2 for the third time. Can online gaming be any better or more
>fun? I'd like to find out.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Why ask? Why not just go online and try it?

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute into my
journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and slashin' me to
pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard. They were good.

Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that would be an
irritation to an experienced gamer.

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:03 -0500, "Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Where can I go to learn about online gaming? I know nothing about it. I
>>need
>>everything....where to look, game play, etiquette, etc. I'm experienced in
>>SP only.....HL1, OF and BS about a dozen times each. Far Cry twice and
>>just
>>completed HL2 for the third time. Can online gaming be any better or more
>>fun? I'd like to find out.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

> Why ask? Why not just go online and try it?
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:03 -0500, "Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Where can I go to learn about online gaming? I know nothing about it. I
need
> >everything....where to look, game play, etiquette, etc. I'm experienced
in
> >SP only.....HL1, OF and BS about a dozen times each. Far Cry twice and
just
> >completed HL2 for the third time. Can online gaming be any better or more
> >fun? I'd like to find out.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >

> Why ask? Why not just go online and try it?

Indeed.

Register at gaming forums. Be part of the community. Play the games online
and then if you have any questions, ask on the forums.

Remember: be polite online. That's by far the most important rule I can
think of.

Yep, that's what happens.. Just watch what they do and create some
stuff of yer own.... You'll be dead a lot until ya learn.... ....

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:17:12 -0500, "Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute into my
>journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and slashin' me to
>pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard. They were good.
>
>Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
>slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that would be an
>irritation to an experienced gamer.
>
>"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:21:03 -0500, "Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Where can I go to learn about online gaming? I know nothing about it. I
>>>need
>>>everything....where to look, game play, etiquette, etc. I'm experienced in
>>>SP only.....HL1, OF and BS about a dozen times each. Far Cry twice and
>>>just
>>>completed HL2 for the third time. Can online gaming be any better or more
>>>fun? I'd like to find out.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Why ask? Why not just go online and try it?
>>
>> --
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

"Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute
> into my journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and
> slashin' me to pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard.
> They were good.
> Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
> slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that
> would be an irritation to an experienced gamer.

snip

That is what bots are about. You can play a match offline against bots
to get familiar with maps and the game in general. Then go online, get
killed a lot, see what's goin on, play offline some more, etc. :)

For CS:Source, you may well have a hard time finding a server out there
with someone in it with the patience to show a newbie any of the ropes.

Keep looking at Bench, Cannon Fodder, Peter L., Strider posts. We may
yet set up another newbie bash :)

McG.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Try TFC. That's were I cut my online gaming teeth.

DaveL

wrote:

>I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute into my
>journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and slashin' me to
>pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard. They were good.
>
>Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
>slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that would be an
>irritation to an experienced gamer.

Start your own server. Get to know the maps in your own time,
especially the location of weapons and items.
Adjust your controls so you don't have to look at the keyboard, or try
to remember where a particular weapon key is, whilst in the middle of
a battle.
Bots are ok but if you play against them too much, they can make you a
bit of a softie - there's nothing like playing against real people!

--
steve AT steveevans DOT org

Randy wrote:
> I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute into my
> journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and slashin' me to
> pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard. They were good.
>
> Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
> slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that would be an
> irritation to an experienced gamer.

Not unless you're playing with people you know on a private server. You
may find public servers which advertise themselves as "newbie only" but
9 times out of 10 they're just occupied by 'vultures' looking for some
easy meat. :)

It's not easy as a beginner, that much is true.. the first step is just
learning the maps and getting a feel for the pace of the game..

don't be put off that some people you come across may seem to be godlike
at the game.. chances are they're the sort of person who puts in 6 hours
a day at the game, and are just very well practised

persist a little and find your feet in the game, but most of all, have
fun... :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Randy" <rndyabc@xyzbellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I did....on an empty server...just to look around. About a minute into my
>journey a couple of guys showed up and started blastin' and slashin' me to
>pieces. I couldn't do anything from laughing so hard. They were good.
>
> Are there games for beginners or do you just jump in and get yourself
> slaughtered while you're trying to figure things out? Seems that would be
> an irritation to an experienced gamer.

Jump in, the water is fine.

The "key" adjustment is a good idea. You need to be able to use the keyboard
like it was your third hand.

Start with TFC. Team atmosphere; and I think players are a little more
forgiving. Pick a class, or better yet, try them all and then practice,
practice, practice. Oh did I remember to say practice?

Now go out and kick some ***.