Unable to download drivers because ActiveX security settin..

I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as I
start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with service
pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
helped. TY
3 answers Last reply
More about unable download drivers activex security settin

    You rarely, if ever, want to open/run a program from the internet. You
    download the program or update and then run it from your hard drive.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "chrogil" <chrogil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as
    > start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
    > will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with
    > service
    > pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
    > helped. TY

    "chrogil" <chrogil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as
    > start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
    > will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with
    service
    > pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
    > helped. TY

    I have to agree with Richard in that installing stuff through an ActiveX
    control is not a good idea at the best of times. It's this same path that
    most unwanted software comes in through.

    HP should, and they BETTER, have a stand-alone installation package for
    their printer drivers.

    That being said, if you upgrade an existing XP installation to XP SP2, you
    will probably find that your security zone settings will have changed.
    Notably, the Internet zone will have custom settings and file download will
    be disabled. You can change this back to "Medium" to allow downloads again,
    BUT...

    ....and this is a very important BUT...

    ....don't blindly allow downloads from everybody, certainly not while logged
    on with an Administrator account. Instead, consider adding "*.hp.com" to
    your Trusted Sites zone's list of sites, rather than changing the security
    settings for the Internet zone. This lets you selectively decide where you
    can allow ActiveX controls, file downloads, and so on by site name or by
    domain name.

    Even better, download everything you need with Limited User account, where
    you can safely enable "Medium" security for the Internet zone. Save the
    downloads into Shared Documents, and then install those downloads with an
    Administrator account. XP behaves like a power tool with safety guards when
    you use limited user accounts.

    --
    PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
    Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

    Hello, I have XP Pro w/ svc pk 2: I cannot download my HP ptr driver, either,
    and alowing HP as a 'trusted site' has not helped. How to I lower the active
    X so I can download my driver?
    Thank you!

    "Gordon Fecyk" wrote:

    > "chrogil" <chrogil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as
    > > start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
    > > will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with
    > service
    > > pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
    > > helped. TY
    >
    > I have to agree with Richard in that installing stuff through an ActiveX
    > control is not a good idea at the best of times. It's this same path that
    > most unwanted software comes in through.
    >
    > HP should, and they BETTER, have a stand-alone installation package for
    > their printer drivers.
    >
    > That being said, if you upgrade an existing XP installation to XP SP2, you
    > will probably find that your security zone settings will have changed.
    > Notably, the Internet zone will have custom settings and file download will
    > be disabled. You can change this back to "Medium" to allow downloads again,
    > BUT...
    >
    > ....and this is a very important BUT...
    >
    > ....don't blindly allow downloads from everybody, certainly not while logged
    > on with an Administrator account. Instead, consider adding "*.hp.com" to
    > your Trusted Sites zone's list of sites, rather than changing the security
    > settings for the Internet zone. This lets you selectively decide where you
    > can allow ActiveX controls, file downloads, and so on by site name or by
    > domain name.
    >
    > Even better, download everything you need with Limited User account, where
    > you can safely enable "Medium" security for the Internet zone. Save the
    > downloads into Shared Documents, and then install those downloads with an
    > Administrator account. XP behaves like a power tool with safety guards when
    > you use limited user accounts.
    >
    > --
    > PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
    > Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.
    > <http://www.pan-am.ca/antiwindowscatalog/>

Download Security Activex Windows XP