Unable to download drivers because ActiveX security settin..

a b 8 Security
March 30, 2005 6:51:09 PM

I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as I
start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with service
pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
helped. TY
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 31, 2005 2:26:36 AM

You rarely, if ever, want to open/run a program from the internet. You
download the program or update and then run it from your hard drive.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"chrogil" <chrogil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as
> start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
> will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with
> service
> pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
> helped. TY
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 2, 2005 12:28:28 AM

"chrogil" <chrogil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to download a new driver for my printer, and HP is obliging, but as
> start the process I get the message that ActiveX controls security levels
> will not allow the download... help! I run Home edition XP (2002)with
service
> pack 1: changing the security settings on the internet options has not
> helped. TY

I have to agree with Richard in that installing stuff through an ActiveX
control is not a good idea at the best of times. It's this same path that
most unwanted software comes in through.

HP should, and they BETTER, have a stand-alone installation package for
their printer drivers.

That being said, if you upgrade an existing XP installation to XP SP2, you
will probably find that your security zone settings will have changed.
Notably, the Internet zone will have custom settings and file download will
be disabled. You can change this back to "Medium" to allow downloads again,
BUT...

....and this is a very important BUT...

....don't blindly allow downloads from everybody, certainly not while logged
on with an Administrator account. Instead, consider adding "*.hp.com" to
your Trusted Sites zone's list of sites, rather than changing the security
settings for the Internet zone. This lets you selectively decide where you
can allow ActiveX controls, file downloads, and so on by site name or by
domain name.

Even better, download everything you need with Limited User account, where
you can safely enable "Medium" security for the Internet zone. Save the
downloads into Shared Documents, and then install those downloads with an
Administrator account. XP behaves like a power tool with safety guards when
you use limited user accounts.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc&gt;
Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

Hello, I have XP Pro w/ svc pk 2: I cannot download my HP ptr driver, either,
and alowing HP as a 'trusted site' has not helped. How to I lower the active
X so I can download my driver?
Thank you!

!