port 80 open?

Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.

How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
open, how can I close it?
10 answers Last reply
More about port open

    Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983

    Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
    Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
    Port 80 open.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Lonewolph" wrote:

    | Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
    | messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
    | Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
    | Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
    |
    | How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
    | open, how can I close it?

    Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80 as
    open but stealth?

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
    >
    > Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
    > Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
    > Port 80 open.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Lonewolph" wrote:
    >
    > | Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
    > | messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
    > | Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
    > | Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
    > |
    > | How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
    > | open, how can I close it?

    Outgoing?

    Tom
    "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80 as
    | open but stealth?
    |
    | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    |
    | > Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
    | >
    | > Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
    | > Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
    | > Port 80 open.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Carey Frisch
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    | >
    | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    | > "Lonewolph" wrote:
    | >
    | > | Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not
    running
    | > | messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the
    internet.
    | > | Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger
    and
    | > | Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
    | > |
    | > | How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should
    not be
    | > | open, how can I close it?

    lets get things straight... shields up tests port 80 from outside your
    machine to see if you have a program that is listening on that port. this
    is normally open if you have a web server installed on your machine, or can
    be caused by a trojan/virus/spyware installed on your machine. having a
    firewall that blocks incoming connections to your machine on port 80 or not
    running a web server should show port 80 as closed or 'stealth' on a check
    from shields up or any other outside test.

    one thing that may cause a false 'open' report is if your isp is
    intercepting incoming connections to prevent you from running a web server.
    i understand that instead of just blocking it completely some isp's are
    making it look like the port is open, then just dumping whatever comes in.
    this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
    actually getting to your machine.

    this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case you
    connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web server
    on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls or
    other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to be
    able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and nis)
    let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote services
    based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is another
    whole layer of security.

    "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Outgoing?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80
    as
    > | open but stealth?
    > |
    > | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
    > | >
    > | > Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
    > | > Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
    > | > Port 80 open.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Carey Frisch
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > | > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > | >
    > | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -----------------

    > running
    > internet.
    > and
    > | > |
    > not be

    install a firewall (other than the lame one that WinXP has).

    I recommend Norton Personal Firewall.

    Do not be tempted by a product called Zone Alarm. At one time it was a very
    good product, but lately it has been known to be rather easily defeated.

    Bobby

    > Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
    > messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
    > Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
    > Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
    >
    > How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not
    > be
    > open, how can I close it?

    I am definately not running any servers from my machine. How do I determine
    if a virus/trojan etc is causing my port to be open, or if this is in fact a
    security feature of my ISP and no threat? Reason being is that I constantly
    have ads that are coming in. I have run every help proggy like Adaware SE,
    Windows Antisypware, Mircotrend and Stinger, all of which have come up blank,
    yet i am getting popped out of my fullscreen games whenever one comes in,
    about once every 30 minutes, and my popup blocker blocks them, but not before
    they bump me out.

    "Dave" wrote:

    > lets get things straight... shields up tests port 80 from outside your
    > machine to see if you have a program that is listening on that port. this
    > is normally open if you have a web server installed on your machine, or can
    > be caused by a trojan/virus/spyware installed on your machine. having a
    > firewall that blocks incoming connections to your machine on port 80 or not
    > running a web server should show port 80 as closed or 'stealth' on a check
    > from shields up or any other outside test.
    >
    > one thing that may cause a false 'open' report is if your isp is
    > intercepting incoming connections to prevent you from running a web server.
    > i understand that instead of just blocking it completely some isp's are
    > making it look like the port is open, then just dumping whatever comes in.
    > this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
    > actually getting to your machine.
    >
    > this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case you
    > connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web server
    > on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls or
    > other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to be
    > able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and nis)
    > let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote services
    > based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is another
    > whole layer of security.
    >

    > "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Outgoing?
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > | Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80
    > as
    > > | open but stealth?

    > -----------------

    > > running
    > > internet.
    > > and
    > > | > |
    > should
    > > not be

    you can get a tool like nis or zonealarm that will block those (probably)
    messenger popups. that is a symptom that you do not have a firewall. nis
    or zonealarm will also let you control which ports are open so you will know
    for sure. you can try netstat -a which should show you if you are listening
    on port 80, but even if you aren't you should really have a firewall.

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > install a firewall (other than the lame one that WinXP has).

    The "lame" one works just fine, thank-you. It does its job silently.

    If you're really paranoid, instead of spending $60 on some snake oil that
    Symantec's selling[1], spend that $60 on a NAT router and stick your machine
    behind it. No way a trojan, worm, spyware or virus is going to hack THAT.

    [1] Snake oil and security blankets. It's called the "Addictive Update
    Model" for a reason, you know.
    <http://www.netfreedom.org/news.asp?item=145>

    --
    PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc>
    Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

    I currently use Adsgone Popup blocker which does block these ads, but not
    before they pop me out of game. I also have been using windows firewall since
    it came out.

    "Dave" wrote:

> [...]
    > in.
    > > > this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
    > > > actually getting to your machine.
    > > >
    > > > this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case
    > you
    > > > connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web
    > server
    > > > on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls
    > or
    > > > other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to
    > be
    > > > able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and
    > nis)
    > > > let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote
    > services
    > > > based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    if you really have the firewall on and still get popups then they are
    probably from something bad on your computer, time to start scanning!

    > I currently use Adsgone Popup blocker which does block these ads, but not
    > before they pop me out of game. I also have been using windows firewall
    since
    > it came out.
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > you can get a tool like nis or zonealarm that will block those
    (probably)
    > > messenger popups. that is a symptom that you do not have a firewall.
    nis
    > > or zonealarm will also let you control which ports are open so you will
    know
    > > for sure. you can try netstat -a which should show you if you are
    listening
    > > on port 80, but even if you aren't you should really have a firewall.
    > >
    > > "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am definately not running any servers from my machine. How do I
    > > determine
    > > > if a virus/trojan etc is causing my port to be open, or if this is in
    fact
    > > > security feature of my ISP and no threat? Reason being is that I
    > > constantly
    > > > have ads that are coming in. I have run every help proggy like Adaware
    SE,
    > > > Windows Antisypware, Mircotrend and Stinger, all of which have come up
    > > blank,
    > > > yet i am getting popped out of my fullscreen games whenever one comes
    in,
    > > > about once every 30 minutes, and my popup blocker blocks them, but not
    > > before
    > > > they bump me out.

    > > this
    > > can