port 80 open?

March 30, 2005 10:41:02 PM

Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.

How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
open, how can I close it?

More about : port open

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:58:23 AM

Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983

Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
Port 80 open.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Lonewolph" wrote:

| Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
| messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
| Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
| Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
|
| How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
| open, how can I close it?
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:17:02 AM

Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80 as
open but stealth?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
>
> Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
> Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
> Port 80 open.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Lonewolph" wrote:
>
> | Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
> | messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
> | Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
> | Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
> |
> | How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not be
> | open, how can I close it?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:37:59 PM

Outgoing?

Tom
"Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80 as
| open but stealth?
|
| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
|
| > Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
| >
| > Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
| > Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
| > Port 80 open.
| >
| > --
| > Carey Frisch
| > Microsoft MVP
| > Windows XP - Shell/User
| > Microsoft Newsgroups
| >
| > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

| > "Lonewolph" wrote:
| >
| > | Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not
running
| > | messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the
internet.
| > | Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger
and
| > | Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
| > |
| > | How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should
not be
| > | open, how can I close it?

March 31, 2005 3:20:52 PM

lets get things straight... shields up tests port 80 from outside your
machine to see if you have a program that is listening on that port. this
is normally open if you have a web server installed on your machine, or can
be caused by a trojan/virus/spyware installed on your machine. having a
firewall that blocks incoming connections to your machine on port 80 or not
running a web server should show port 80 as closed or 'stealth' on a check
from shields up or any other outside test.

one thing that may cause a false 'open' report is if your isp is
intercepting incoming connections to prevent you from running a web server.
i understand that instead of just blocking it completely some isp's are
making it look like the port is open, then just dumping whatever comes in.
this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
actually getting to your machine.

this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case you
connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web server
on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls or
other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to be
able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and nis)
let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote services
based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is another
whole layer of security.

"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Outgoing?
>
> Tom
> "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80
as
> | open but stealth?
> |
> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> |
> | > Ports That Are Used by Windows Product Activation
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291983
> | >
> | > Periodically, your computer will communicate with the Microsoft
> | > Product Activation servers for verification. You need to keep
> | > Port 80 open.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Carey Frisch
> | > Microsoft MVP
> | > Windows XP - Shell/User
> | > Microsoft Newsgroups
> | >
> | > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-----------------

> running
> internet.
> and
> | > |
> not be

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:21:04 PM

install a firewall (other than the lame one that WinXP has).

I recommend Norton Personal Firewall.

Do not be tempted by a product called Zone Alarm. At one time it was a very
good product, but lately it has been known to be rather easily defeated.

Bobby

> Running Shields UP!! tells me that I have port 80 open. I am not running
> messenger, ftp or any other program that should be accessing the internet.
> Should port 80 show as open? I have run Ad-aware SE, McAfee Stinger and
> Microtrend's sysclean while in safemode and all have come up blank.
>
> How can I see what processes are using this port? If this port should not
> be
> open, how can I close it?

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:31:10 AM

I am definately not running any servers from my machine. How do I determine
if a virus/trojan etc is causing my port to be open, or if this is in fact a
security feature of my ISP and no threat? Reason being is that I constantly
have ads that are coming in. I have run every help proggy like Adaware SE,
Windows Antisypware, Mircotrend and Stinger, all of which have come up blank,
yet i am getting popped out of my fullscreen games whenever one comes in,
about once every 30 minutes, and my popup blocker blocks them, but not before
they bump me out.

"Dave" wrote:

> lets get things straight... shields up tests port 80 from outside your
> machine to see if you have a program that is listening on that port. this
> is normally open if you have a web server installed on your machine, or can
> be caused by a trojan/virus/spyware installed on your machine. having a
> firewall that blocks incoming connections to your machine on port 80 or not
> running a web server should show port 80 as closed or 'stealth' on a check
> from shields up or any other outside test.
>
> one thing that may cause a false 'open' report is if your isp is
> intercepting incoming connections to prevent you from running a web server.
> i understand that instead of just blocking it completely some isp's are
> making it look like the port is open, then just dumping whatever comes in.
> this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
> actually getting to your machine.
>
> this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case you
> connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web server
> on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls or
> other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to be
> able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and nis)
> let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote services
> based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is another
> whole layer of security.
>

> "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Outgoing?
> >
> > Tom
> > "Lonewolph" <Lonewolph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Then why do friends who have XP who run the Shields UP not show port 80
> as
> > | open but stealth?

> -----------------

> > running
> > internet.
> > and
> > | > |
> should
> > not be

April 1, 2005 5:46:19 PM

you can get a tool like nis or zonealarm that will block those (probably)
messenger popups. that is a symptom that you do not have a firewall. nis
or zonealarm will also let you control which ports are open so you will know
for sure. you can try netstat -a which should show you if you are listening
on port 80, but even if you aren't you should really have a firewall.

> [...]
in.
> > this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
> > actually getting to your machine.
> >
> > this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case
you
> > connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web
server
> > on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls
or
> > other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to
be
> > able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and
nis)
> > let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote
services
> > based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:37:45 AM

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> install a firewall (other than the lame one that WinXP has).

The "lame" one works just fine, thank-you. It does its job silently.

If you're really paranoid, instead of spending $60 on some snake oil that
Symantec's selling[1], spend that $60 on a NAT router and stick your machine
behind it. No way a trojan, worm, spyware or virus is going to hack THAT.

[1] Snake oil and security blankets. It's called the "Addictive Update
Model" for a reason, you know.
<http://www.netfreedom.org/news.asp?item=145&gt;

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting@pan-am.ca.asc&gt;
Prevent problems before they happen and help others avoid bad design.

I currently use Adsgone Popup blocker which does block these ads, but not
before they pop me out of game. I also have been using windows firewall since
it came out.

"Dave" wrote:

> [...]
> in.
> > > this would make shields up think the port is open even though it isn't
> > > actually getting to your machine.
> > >
> > > this is different from you connecting out to a web server, in that case
> you
> > > connect from some randomly picked local port number to the remote web
> server
> > > on port 80. this outgoing connection can also be blocked by firewalls
> or
> > > other security programs but normally shouldn't unless you don't want to
> be
> > > able to surf the web. now, some security programs (like zone alarm and
> nis)
> > > let you block outgoing connections to web servers or other remote
> services
> > > based on the application that is requesting the connection, that is

April 3, 2005 6:12:54 PM

if you really have the firewall on and still get popups then they are
probably from something bad on your computer, time to start scanning!

!