I'm wanting to purchase a 9800 pro

I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon 9800
Atlantis Lite:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN

However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it means
it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what does
the word "lite refer to?

Any advice much appreciated.

On 10/9/2004 10:15 AM Interesting Ian brightened our day with:

>I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
>recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon 9800
>Atlantis Lite:
>
>http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN
>
>However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it means
>it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
>bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what does
>the word "lite refer to?
>
>Any advice much appreciated.

Why don't you go to Sapphire and look up the difference between lite and
regular retail?

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
> recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon
> 9800
> Atlantis Lite:
>
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN
>
> However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it
> means
> it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
> bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what
> does
> the word "lite refer to?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

That's not very interesting, Ian ;-)

> However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it means
> it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
> bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what does
> the word "lite refer to?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

Hi,
I got the same card "lite" version from www.savastore.com and it is
definetly 256-bit.
The 'lite' refers to the fact that although you get leads and a DVI/VGA
adaptor (unlike the OEM version) you don't get any free software(games
generally) like you would with the full retail version.

I've also heard that Sapphire have stopped shipping the 128bit version.
Although you should double check with your vendor just to make sure.

"Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
> recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon
9800
> Atlantis Lite:
>
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN
>
> However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it
means
> it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
> bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what
does
> the word "lite refer to?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

I bought a sapphire 9800pro retail lite. The 'retail lite' means you don't
get any of the extra software (DVD player, games etc). All I got in my box
were the drivers and all the cables. However, my box was GREEN, but the
Dabs offer is blue. Be careful as I think the blue box 9800pros did indeed
only have 128bit memory. Google in this group as I think this was discussed
before.

"?uzzled" <not@got.one> wrote in message

> "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
> > recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon
> 9800
> > Atlantis Lite:
> >
> > http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN
> >
> > However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it
> means
> > it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit
memory
> > bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what
> does
> > the word "lite refer to?
> >
> > Any advice much appreciated.
> >

> I bought a sapphire 9800pro retail lite. The 'retail lite' means you don't
> get any of the extra software (DVD player, games etc). All I got in my box
> were the drivers and all the cables. However, my box was GREEN, but the
> Dabs offer is blue. Be careful as I think the blue box 9800pros did indeed
> only have 128bit memory. Google in this group as I think this was
discussed
> before.

Damn. Yeah it seems a bit on the cheap side. Anyone know?

> Damn. Yeah it seems a bit on the cheap side. Anyone know?

Dabs do...

If you read the features list it's a 128bit card.

"nj" <fake@nul.nul> wrote in message

> > Damn. Yeah it seems a bit on the cheap side. Anyone know?
> >

> Dabs do...
>
> If you read the features list it's a 128bit card.

I don't know what they mean. So its a 128-bit memory *bus* card?

On 10/9/2004 3:11 PM Interesting Ian brightened our day with:

>"nj" <fake@nul.nul> wrote in message
>

>>>Damn. Yeah it seems a bit on the cheap side. Anyone know?
>>>

>>Dabs do...
>>
>>If you read the features list it's a 128bit card.
>>

>I don't know what they mean. So its a 128-bit memory *bus* card?

there isn't anything else 128 bit would be describing. if you notice at
that dabs site the "next card" button leads you to an Atlantis in a
_green box_ that costs around £30 more.
Get that one.

--

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 10/9/2004 3:11 PM Interesting Ian brightened our day with:
>
> >"nj" <fake@nul.nul> wrote in message

> >>Dabs do...
> >>
> >>If you read the features list it's a 128bit card.
> >>

> >I don't know what they mean. So its a 128-bit memory *bus* card?
> >

> there isn't anything else 128 bit would be describing. if you notice at
> that dabs site the "next card" button leads you to an Atlantis in a
> _green box_ that costs around £30 more.
> Get that one.

It's absolutely scandalous that they do not inform you that it's not a
proper 9800 pro :-(

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> there isn't anything else 128 bit would be describing. if you notice at
> that dabs site the "next card" button leads you to an Atlantis in a
> _green box_ that costs around £30 more.
> Get that one.

A bit expensive. I'll wait until it drops to £120 :)

"Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I live in the UK and will probably buy one over the Net. Any
> recommendations? I was wondering about the Sapphire technology Radeon
9800
> Atlantis Lite:
>
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3GGN
>
> However I was concerned about the word "lite" and was wondering if it
means
> it only has a 128-bit memory bus rather than the standard 256-bit memory
> bus typically found on 9800 pros. And if it doesn't mean this then what
does
> the word "lite refer to?
>
> Any advice much appreciated.

Can't comment on this card, but I recently purchased this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198

After hearing great things about its performance, and great cooling. It's a
little bit more money, but if you can get the VAT knocked off it's not so
bad. You can read the reviews on the site for further opinions. I've also
heard that ebcause of hte great cooling, it's the perfect card to overclock.
(Although I haven't)

Of course, if the card you suggested is fine, then that'll probably be good
too.

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
> Can't comment on this card, but I recently purchased this:
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198
>
> After hearing great things about its performance, and great cooling. It's
> little bit more money, but if you can get the VAT knocked off it's not so
> bad. You can read the reviews on the site for further opinions. I've also
> heard that ebcause of hte great cooling, it's the perfect card to
> overclock.
> (Although I haven't)
>
> Of course, if the card you suggested is fine, then that'll probably be
> good
> too.

I agree with the Bezerker... I too have that card flashed with the club3d
xt, 128mb bios.
Runs like a dream, has the r360 core and overclocks like mad.

Worth the extra few quid... even on high you can hardly hear the fan.

hth
Ted

"texterted" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message

> "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
> > Can't comment on this card, but I recently purchased this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198

> > After hearing great things about its performance, and great cooling.
It's
> > little bit more money, but if you can get the VAT knocked off it's not
so
> > bad. You can read the reviews on the site for further opinions. I've
also
> > heard that ebcause of hte great cooling, it's the perfect card to
> > overclock.
> > (Although I haven't)
> >
> > Of course, if the card you suggested is fine, then that'll probably be
> > good
> > too.
> >
> I agree with the Bezerker... I too have that card flashed with the club3d
> xt, 128mb bios.
> Runs like a dream, has the r360 core and overclocks like mad.
>
> Worth the extra few quid... even on high you can hardly hear the fan.
>
> hth
> Ted

Yeah it sounds good. Might get that.

In article <REZ9d.187$5I2.150@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
says...

> It's absolutely scandalous that they do not inform you that it's not a
> proper 9800 pro :-(

It is a proper 9800 Pro.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <REZ9d.187$5I2.150@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
> says...
>

> > It's absolutely scandalous that they do not inform you that it's not a
> > proper 9800 pro :-(
> >
> It is a proper 9800 Pro.

Huh?? You're claiming it has a 256-bit memory bus?

shawk

> "texterted" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message
>>
>> "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>> > Can't comment on this card, but I recently purchased this:
>> >

> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198
>> >
>> > After hearing great things about its performance, and great cooling.
> It's
>> > little bit more money, but if you can get the VAT knocked off it's not
> so
>> > bad. You can read the reviews on the site for further opinions. I've
> also
>> > heard that ebcause of hte great cooling, it's the perfect card to
>> > overclock.
>> > (Although I haven't)
>> >
>> > Of course, if the card you suggested is fine, then that'll probably be
>> > good
>> > too.
>> >
>> I agree with the Bezerker... I too have that card flashed with the club3d
>> xt, 128mb bios.
>> Runs like a dream, has the r360 core and overclocks like mad.
>>
>> Worth the extra few quid... even on high you can hardly hear the fan.
>>
>> hth
>> Ted
>>

> Yeah it sounds good. Might get that.

Ian, also take a look at Overclockers. Got my Sapphire 9800Pro Lite from
them. 128MB, 256bit. Great card. With Sapphire they tend to name their
128bit cards with 'SE'. (Dont confuse the 'bit' with MB)

Link for the 9800's below. You are still looking at around £140 though.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

Shaun

In article <EL%9d.1711$t01.733@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
says...

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <REZ9d.187$5I2.150@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
> > says...
> >

> > > It's absolutely scandalous that they do not inform you that it's not a
> > > proper 9800 pro :-(
> > >
> > It is a proper 9800 Pro.
> >

> Huh?? You're claiming it has a 256-bit memory bus?

No, I'm saying there were TWO VERSIONS.

--

> In article <EL%9d.1711$t01.733@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
> says...
> >
> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > In article <REZ9d.187$5I2.150@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
> > > says...

> > > It is a proper 9800 Pro.
> > >

> > Huh?? You're claiming it has a 256-bit memory bus?
> >
> No, I'm saying there were TWO VERSIONS.

I *know* there are 2 versions; and one is a proper version and the other
isn't. Denying this necessitates that the model number designates nothing
whatsoever, rendering it wholly superfluous. You see??

shawk

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In article <EL%9d.1711$t01.733@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
>> says...
>> >
>> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Huh?? You're claiming it has a 256-bit memory bus?
>> >
>> No, I'm saying there were TWO VERSIONS.
>>
> I *know* there are 2 versions; and one is a proper version and the other
> isn't. Denying this necessitates that the model number designates
> nothing
> whatsoever, rendering it wholly superfluous. You see??

I think what he means are that they are both proper 9800Pro's it's just that
there are two versions - a 128bit and a 256bit. They are both proper
versions but one is much better (and therefore more expensive) than the
other. There was an outcry when the model numbers were the same and some
folk bought and installed before they found they had 128bit but I 'think'
that has been resolved now. As per another post - Sapphire call their
128bit an SE version. Shaun

> "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> In article <EL%9d.1711$t01.733@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
> >> says...

Ian

> >> No, I'm saying there were TWO VERSIONS.
> >>
> > I *know* there are 2 versions; and one is a proper version and the other
> > isn't. Denying this necessitates that the model number designates
> > nothing
> > whatsoever, rendering it wholly superfluous. You see??
> >

> I think what he means are that they are both proper 9800Pro's it's just
that
> there are two versions - a 128bit and a 256bit. They are both proper
> versions but one is much better (and therefore more expensive) than the
> other. There was an outcry when the model numbers were the same and some
> folk bought and installed before they found they had 128bit but I 'think'
> that has been resolved now. As per another post - Sapphire call their
> 128bit an SE version. Shaun

Not on that link they didn't. And not on this link either for this 9800.
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=3GJP&searchphrase=9800

shawk

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ian

>> > I *know* there are 2 versions; and one is a proper version and the
>> > other
>> > isn't. Denying this necessitates that the model number designates
>> > nothing
>> > whatsoever, rendering it wholly superfluous. You see??
>> >

>> I think what he means are that they are both proper 9800Pro's it's just
> that
>> there are two versions - a 128bit and a 256bit. They are both proper
>> versions but one is much better (and therefore more expensive) than the
>> other. There was an outcry when the model numbers were the same and some
>> folk bought and installed before they found they had 128bit but I 'think'
>> that has been resolved now. As per another post - Sapphire call their
>> 128bit an SE version. Shaun
>>

> Not on that link they didn't. And not on this link either for this 9800.
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=3GJP&searchphrase=9800

Yeah, you're right.

However I guess that you, (like me), probably wouldnt buy anything online
with no description though would you? For a 256bit 128MB 9800 Pro it's
gonna cost you around £140. Any price far adrift from that you should be
suspicious. Shaun.

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:54:29 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>> "texterted" <nospam@nospam"100".com> wrote in message

>>> "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message

>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55198

>> After hearing great things about its performance, and great cooling.
>> It's a little bit more money, but if you can get the VAT knocked off it's not
>> so bad. You can read the reviews on the site for further opinions. I've
>> also heard that ebcause of hte great cooling, it's the perfect card to
>> overclock. (Although I haven't)

>>> I agree with the Bezerker... I too have that card flashed with the club3d
>>> xt, 128mb bios.Runs like a dream, has the r360 core and overclocks like mad.

>>> Worth the extra few quid... even on high you can hardly hear the fan.

>>> hth
>>> Ted

>> Yeah it sounds good. Might get that.

>Ian, also take a look at Overclockers. Got my Sapphire 9800Pro Lite from
>them. 128MB, 256bit. Great card. With Sapphire they tend to name their
>128bit cards with 'SE'. (Dont confuse the 'bit' with MB)

>Link for the 9800's below. You are still looking at around £140 though.

>http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

>Shaun

and ESNET give - the bit memory interface info for each card on screen

BoroLad

> "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Interesting Ian" <DELETETHISspam.me2@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Ian

> > Ian

> >> I think what he means are that they are both proper 9800Pro's it's just
> > that
> >> there are two versions - a 128bit and a 256bit. They are both proper
> >> versions but one is much better (and therefore more expensive) than the
> >> other. There was an outcry when the model numbers were the same and
some
> >> folk bought and installed before they found they had 128bit but I
'think'
> >> that has been resolved now. As per another post - Sapphire call their
> >> 128bit an SE version. Shaun
> >>

> > Not on that link they didn't. And not on this link either for this
9800.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=3GJP&searchphrase=9800

> Yeah, you're right.
>
> However I guess that you, (like me), probably wouldnt buy anything online
> with no description though would you? For a 256bit 128MB 9800 Pro it's
> gonna cost you around £140. Any price far adrift from that you should be
> suspicious. Shaun.

Yeah, certainly suspicious, although I thought that there was a possibility
it might simply dropped in price with the introduction of new cards.
They've been at £140 for a few months. Oh well :(

In article <Ozaad.31$436.2@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, Interesting Ian
says...

> I *know* there are 2 versions; and one is a proper version and the other
> isn't. Denying this necessitates that the model number designates nothing
> whatsoever, rendering it wholly superfluous. You see??

There were two versions of the P3, one with 512k L2 cache, the other
with 256k L2 Cache. The same happened with the Athlon but people didn't
even bat an eyelid.