Printer connection issue...

March 31, 2005 2:32:11 PM

We have an XP Pro (SP2) desktop machine that shares a printer. This machine
is in the local domain. One of our sales users wants to print to this
printer using his own personal XP home laptop when he is in the office.

I added the printer to his list of printers, but when I selected the network
printer name i.e. \\tele11\lj3330, I was asked for a username and password
with which to connect to the tele11 machine (which shares the printer). I
entered the administrator
account and password for that machine and was able to print no problem.

However, once he rebooted his machine and tried to print to that printer, he
got an error. Right clicking on the printer driver and going to "properties"
causes th following security error.

"You do not have access to this printer. Only the security tab will be
displayed"

I am assuming he is having permissions problems
with gaining acess to the tele11 machine.

I have set the permissions in the properties of this shared printer on
tele11 wide open for the "everyone" group thinking that may resolve the
issue - but no go. He gets the same error.

By mapping a network drive to teh c$ share on tele11 from the Xp Home laptop
(using the administrator credentials), I can see the shared printer, select
it, isntall it and use it no propbs. It appears to work because the user
has authenticated using a local admin account. However, this does not appear
to be a very good way to enable this! There must be a better way?

What does one have to do in order to allow a user who brings in their own
personal XP home laptops to print to a network share?? (we have several
users of this type...)

Thanks,

Brad
March 31, 2005 8:20:58 PM

Brad Pears wrote:

> We have an XP Pro (SP2) desktop machine that shares a printer. This
> machine is in the local domain. One of our sales users wants to print
> to this printer using his own personal XP home laptop when he is in
> the office.
>
> I added the printer to his list of printers, but when I selected the
> network
> printer name i.e. \\tele11\lj3330, I was asked for a username and
> password with which to connect to the tele11 machine (which shares the
> printer). I entered the administrator
> account and password for that machine and was able to print no
> problem.
>
> However, once he rebooted his machine and tried to print to that
> printer, he got an error. Right clicking on the printer driver and
> going to "properties" causes th following security error.
>
> "You do not have access to this printer. Only the security tab will be
> displayed"
>
> I am assuming he is having permissions problems
> with gaining acess to the tele11 machine.
>
> I have set the permissions in the properties of this shared printer on
> tele11 wide open for the "everyone" group thinking that may resolve
> the issue - but no go. He gets the same error.
>
> By mapping a network drive to teh c$ share on tele11 from the Xp Home
> laptop (using the administrator credentials), I can see the shared
> printer, select
> it, isntall it and use it no propbs. It appears to work because the
> user has authenticated using a local admin account. However, this does
> not appear to be a very good way to enable this! There must be a
> better way?
>
> What does one have to do in order to allow a user who brings in their
> own personal XP home laptops to print to a network share?? (we have
> several users of this type...)

Because your user has XP Home Edition, his machine cannot join the
domain. It can, however, use domain resources after being
authenticated. Here is a link explaining that:

Windows XP Home : Accessing data on a Domain Server
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I also got the exact same thing after I renamed one of our other XP Pro
machines - which shares a printer. After I renamed the machine and rebooted,
I had to reconnect to the shared printer again from my own XP Pro machine.
(both machines are in the domain). However, when I browse for network
printers and double click the new machine name, no printer shows up. If I
manually enter the unc path name for the printer
(\\machinename\printersharename), I am asked for a username/password to log
onto the new machine. This is exactly what was happening using the XP Home
machine. Since it is now happening with two XP Pro machines as well, I am at
a loss to determine what has happened...

If I enter the admin username/password for the machine, It sets up the
printer.... This is EXACTLY what was happening with the XP Home machine. I
did not have to go through this when I first set up the shared printer on
this machine. It has only happened since I renamed it!!

It's definately a rights thing but the security tab on the shared printer is
wide open for the "everyone" group!!

I am not sure where to look next...

Brad

news:o 6ibuClNFHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...