  • CRT Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2004 8:27:37 PM

I was hoping to get some advice.
I have an ATI AIW 9600 XT with ComCast cable input. I regularly view TV
shows on my CRT (21" Mitsu Diam, 1024x768 at 85hz).
At fullscreen, you can see visible lines throughout the screen. Like the
interlace is not right.

My questions are:
Is there a setting to maximize the TV viewing quality on a CRT?
Can I de-interlace? If so, where do I go? Can I set which interlacing to
use?
Does the screen resolution make a difference?
Is it possible to get tv quality on a CRT? If so, how?
Do I need a cable filter?

I can send some screenshots to better see the issue.

Spec:
Asus CUSL-C 815EP
PIII 1ghz
512mb PC133
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
USR v.92 modem
Lynksis nic
IDE controller
Pinnacle DV500 Plus
Pioneer AO6
DVD-rom
5 various IDE hard drives
ATI AIW 9600 XT with latest drivers and MMC 9.02 and control panel (no
Catalyst Control)
Direct X 9.0c
Win XP Pro SP1

Thanks all.

More about : group

October 10, 2004 11:06:52 PM

Joe Gallagher wrote:
> I was hoping to get some advice.
> I have an ATI AIW 9600 XT with ComCast cable input. I regularly view TV
> shows on my CRT (21" Mitsu Diam, 1024x768 at 85hz).
> At fullscreen, you can see visible lines throughout the screen. Like the
> interlace is not right.
>
> My questions are:
> Is there a setting to maximize the TV viewing quality on a CRT?
> Can I de-interlace? If so, where do I go? Can I set which interlacing to
> use?
> Does the screen resolution make a difference?
> Is it possible to get tv quality on a CRT? If so, how?
> Do I need a cable filter?
>
> I can send some screenshots to better see the issue.
>
> Spec:
> Asus CUSL-C 815EP
> PIII 1ghz
> 512mb PC133
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1
> USR v.92 modem
> Lynksis nic
> IDE controller
> Pinnacle DV500 Plus
> Pioneer AO6
> DVD-rom
> 5 various IDE hard drives
> ATI AIW 9600 XT with latest drivers and MMC 9.02 and control panel (no
> Catalyst Control)
> Direct X 9.0c
> Win XP Pro SP1
>
> Thanks all.

If it's only a regular cable connection and not digital, you should be
aware that standard TV resolutions are below 800x600(not sure of the
exact maximum resolution for standard TV/Cable). Try setting it at
640x480 and it should work fine.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:48:54 PM

"Joe Gallagher" <gallagj@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I was hoping to get some advice.
> I have an ATI AIW 9600 XT with ComCast cable input. I regularly view TV
> shows on my CRT (21" Mitsu Diam, 1024x768 at 85hz).
> At fullscreen, you can see visible lines throughout the screen. Like the
> interlace is not right.
>
> My questions are:
> Is there a setting to maximize the TV viewing quality on a CRT?
> Can I de-interlace? If so, where do I go? Can I set which interlacing to
> use?
> Does the screen resolution make a difference?
> Is it possible to get tv quality on a CRT? If so, how?
> Do I need a cable filter?
>
> I can send some screenshots to better see the issue.
>
> Spec:
> Asus CUSL-C 815EP
> PIII 1ghz
> 512mb PC133
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1
> USR v.92 modem
> Lynksis nic
> IDE controller
> Pinnacle DV500 Plus
> Pioneer AO6
> DVD-rom
> 5 various IDE hard drives
> ATI AIW 9600 XT with latest drivers and MMC 9.02 and control panel (no
> Catalyst Control)
> Direct X 9.0c
> Win XP Pro SP1
>
> Thanks all.

TV is roughly 480x480 so its not going to look so good at 1024x768. When I
set the HDTV to a SD station and display it in native resolution it takes up
about 1/4 the screen. Going full screen it looks blocky naturally. The TV
player displays the best pictures almost the same. As quality from the cable
goes down the picture gets worse but usually gets more grainy looking on my
setups(crt and Lcd). Your probably seeing the natural tv scan line just
blown up.

Only thing I can think of is try setting the refresh to 75hz. Doubt it will
help though. Oh yeah, make sure all of your cables coax connections are
clean and tight.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 6:56:27 PM

There are two possibilities, and without seeing your screen I will only
speculate. Some users are seeing a banding problem associated with the
latest tuner used by AIW. The other problem could be a ground-loop hum.
The former are horizontal bands that are seen in lighter colored areas of
the screen. The second is a slightly angled wave that passes through the
image. Both are discussed and remedies suggested at:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=24
!