Please help a dummy with Linksys WRT54G

I just got one of these tonight, it set up in just a few minutes, with my
desktop connected via CAT5 to the router, and my Toshiba laptop connected
via WiFi to the router.

I can access the internet perfectly from both machines, but I can't figure
out for the life of me how to set up a network so that the laptop and the
desktop can see each other's files.

I made sure that File and Printer sharing was installed on both the desktop
"Local Area Connection" and on the laptops wireless connection. I named the
desktop PC DESKTOP, and the Laptop PC LAPTOP, made them both the same
workgroup name. I also disabled the XP firewall on both the desktop and
laptop connections.

I don't know where to go from here. I reset the Linksys to the default
settings until I can figure out what I'm doing. I tried the home network
setup wizard on both machines, but it does not work and I am not sure which
type of connection I should be setting up. Would the Linksys router be
considered a "gateway"?

Can anyone provide step by step detailed instructions on how to set up a
home network with the WRT54G? I've searched and searched and came across
lots of links, but in reading them, don't get an idea of exactly what I need
to do. I also don't know if there's any other configuration I need to make
from the router's setup pages.

I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Do you have any firewalls installed? Have you enabled File and print
sharing on both machines and designated which drives/folders/files are to be
shared?

Bobby

"Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got one of these tonight, it set up in just a few minutes, with my
> desktop connected via CAT5 to the router, and my Toshiba laptop connected
> via WiFi to the router.
>
> I can access the internet perfectly from both machines, but I can't figure
> out for the life of me how to set up a network so that the laptop and the
> desktop can see each other's files.
>
> I made sure that File and Printer sharing was installed on both the
> desktop
> "Local Area Connection" and on the laptops wireless connection. I named
> the
> desktop PC DESKTOP, and the Laptop PC LAPTOP, made them both the same
> workgroup name. I also disabled the XP firewall on both the desktop and
> laptop connections.
>
> I don't know where to go from here. I reset the Linksys to the default
> settings until I can figure out what I'm doing. I tried the home network
> setup wizard on both machines, but it does not work and I am not sure
> which
> type of connection I should be setting up. Would the Linksys router be
> considered a "gateway"?
>
> Can anyone provide step by step detailed instructions on how to set up a
> home network with the WRT54G? I've searched and searched and came across
> lots of links, but in reading them, don't get an idea of exactly what I
> need
> to do. I also don't know if there's any other configuration I need to
> make
> from the router's setup pages.
>
> I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

I have this exact same problem with my new WRT54G. When I plugged the router
and computers into an 8-port switch, everything works fine, but when the
computers are plugged into the WRT54G, they can't see each other. Internet
connection works either way.

"NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote in message
> Do you have any firewalls installed? Have you enabled File and print
> sharing on both machines and designated which drives/folders/files are to
be
> shared?
>
> Bobby
>
> "Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I just got one of these tonight, it set up in just a few minutes, with my
> > desktop connected via CAT5 to the router, and my Toshiba laptop
connected
> > via WiFi to the router.
> >
> > I can access the internet perfectly from both machines, but I can't
figure
> > out for the life of me how to set up a network so that the laptop and
the
> > desktop can see each other's files.
> >
> > I made sure that File and Printer sharing was installed on both the
> > desktop
> > "Local Area Connection" and on the laptops wireless connection. I named
> > the
> > desktop PC DESKTOP, and the Laptop PC LAPTOP, made them both the same
> > workgroup name. I also disabled the XP firewall on both the desktop and
> > laptop connections.
> >
> > I don't know where to go from here. I reset the Linksys to the default
> > settings until I can figure out what I'm doing. I tried the home
network
> > setup wizard on both machines, but it does not work and I am not sure
> > which
> > type of connection I should be setting up. Would the Linksys router be
> > considered a "gateway"?
> >
> > Can anyone provide step by step detailed instructions on how to set up a
> > home network with the WRT54G? I've searched and searched and came
across
> > lots of links, but in reading them, don't get an idea of exactly what I
> > need
> > to do. I also don't know if there's any other configuration I need to
> > make
> > from the router's setup pages.
> >
> > I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

RiGID

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

This is bad news! I've just been reading a thread on the problems of networking between XP and Win2k and now a similar one involving the WRT54G. I've been struggling with an XP (Home) desktop and a Win2k laptop, both of which can access the internet via a WRT54G, but can't see one another. Half the time I can't even ping the desktop from the laptop. I am using the ZoneAlarm firewall, but the laptop has been added to the desktop's Trusted Zone to no avail. I think the workgroup thing might be an issue (does XP Home even know what workgroups are?), but on the other thread it appears even setting up workgroups properly doesn't help. Let's hope someone who knows what they are doing reads this lot...

Well, I decided to start again, and check everything....

I made sure the internet connection firewall was turned off on both
machines, I reinstalled file and printer sharing on both machines, I set up
various files and folder to share on both machines, and lo and behold, it
all seems to work now. I can even print off my desktop printer from my
laptop.

I guess I really didn't need to add any special network settings, other than
the file sharing thing.

Thanks for the replies.

"Rigid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is bad news! I've just been reading a thread on the problems of
networking between XP and Win2k and now a similar one involving the WRT54G.
I've been struggling with an XP (Home) desktop and a Win2k laptop, both of
which can access the internet via a WRT54G, but can't see one another. Half
the time I can't even ping the desktop from the laptop. I am using the
ZoneAlarm firewall, but the laptop has been added to the desktop's Trusted
Zone to no avail. I think the workgroup thing might be an issue (does XP
Home even know what workgroups are?), but on the other thread it appears
even setting up workgroups properly doesn't help. Let's hope someone who
knows what they are doing reads this lot...

Yes, the linksys router should be considered a gateway.
Joe C

Thank you.