Help With NetBios Question

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have a twelve PC's either running Windows 98SE or Windows XP Pro. The win
98 machines are old 200 MHz machines that can't be upgraded because of
hardware legacy. All of the these computers are networked to together by a
WAN in a windows workgroup. In order for the XP Pro machines to see the
older machines, we found that we had to enable the NetBios Protocol. If
remove this protocol was can no longer see the older computers in our
workgroup.

Down the hallway we have a computer technician that is running Zone Alarm.
He is complaining that ZoneAlarm is blocking queries from our machines on
the Net Bios ports. I many not remember the port numbers exactly but it was
something like 137-139. He thought that our computers have been taken over
by a worm, because his Zone Alarm log file is 90% full of our computers.

Are we ok or have we been infected by a worm? I installed Zone Alarm on our
systems and it is not flagging anything unusual and we are running the
latest version of Mcaffee Virus Scan as well as Adaware.

I would like to know if we have a problem.

TIA,

Pete

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

For issues related to firewalls:

Please visit the Windows Firewall newsgroup experts:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP