Trying to setup restrictions to prevent my 2 kids from mes..

Hello,
I have 2 kids (9 yrs & 14 yrs old) who I allow to use my computer. They
have started to try and install software, create directories, folders, files,
and print stuff.

I want to setup restrictions that prevent them from doing everything that I
listed above and more. I have been trying to use the Group Policy Editor,
but I have to say that I am totally lost and confused on what to do and the
steps in which it needs to be done.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Pro.

I want there to be 2 accounts….1) one for me …..and 2) another for my kids.

I want my account to be password protected and their account to be password
free.

I want my kids to be able to use their games and educational software. I
also want them to be able to get on the internet and have permission to go to
websites such as: Disney.com, CartoonNetwork.com, and BookAdventure.com.
Most other websites I want to prevent them from going to those websites.

Considering what I am trying to do……..is that possible???? If yes, then I
would like to ask…..How????

Could someone please help me out and tell me what I need to do and the steps
that I need to do it in????

If this is the wrong Discussion Group then please tell me where i should
post my question????

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!

BJHowerton

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

Hi:

If you still have not created the users account, do it in
Start\Run\type; control userpasswords2\enter\Add.
create the account and leave the password space blank,
select the limited users group to prevent them from
installing software.
If you have allready created the account, click on
Restore password and clear the password, apply and exit.

I don't think there's a chance to apply exactly what you want
regarding the internet. But you could configure the Content
Advisor in Internet Options to prevent unwanted content from
being displayed on the screen. In the Control Panel\Internet Options\
Content\Enable\select each cathegory and silde the control to the
far right and as you exit, apply a password to prevent unwanted
changes done to your settings.

For other administrative and security purposes, install
Dough's Windows Security Console it's the best chance you
have to achieve what you want.

Doug's Windows XP Security Console - Version 1.4 released 10/26/2003

And yes, this is the right group for your needs. If my
suggestions do not helps, keep posting in this same group
for the proper advice. I doubt anyone can do much better,
but you never know.

best regards.

"BJHowerton" <BJHowerton@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Hello,
> I have 2 kids (9 yrs & 14 yrs old) who I allow to use my computer. They
> have started to try and install software, create directories, folders,
files,
> and print stuff.
>
> I want to setup restrictions that prevent them from doing everything that
> listed above and more. I have been trying to use the Group Policy Editor,
> but I have to say that I am totally lost and confused on what to do and
the
> steps in which it needs to be done.
>
> I am using Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
>
> I want there to be 2 accounts..1) one for me ...and 2) another for my
kids.

> I want my account to be password protected and their account to be
password
> free.
>
> I want my kids to be able to use their games and educational software. I
> also want them to be able to get on the internet and have permission to go
> websites such as: Disney.com, CartoonNetwork.com, and BookAdventure.com.
> Most other websites I want to prevent them from going to those websites.
>
> Considering what I am trying to do....is that possible???? If yes, then I
> would like to ask...How????
>
> Could someone please help me out and tell me what I need to do and the
steps
> that I need to do it in????
>
> If this is the wrong Discussion Group then please tell me where i should
> post my question????
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!!!!
>
> BJHowerton

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

CORRECTION:

The Content Advisor in Internet Options to prevent unwanted
content from being displayed on the screen. In the Control Panel\Internet
Options\Content\Enable\select each cathegory and silde the control to the
far (right) and as you exit, apply a password to prevent unwanted

My mistake please disregard the this last instruction.

I meant to say FAR LEFT!!!