Cable and wireless network problem

Hello,

here´s my problem, I hope some one can help me.

I have 5 computers in my homenetwork. They have a shared internet
connection via a Sitecom 8 ports broadband router with DHCP. Everything
works well. One of the computers though is a laptop and I´d like to have
that one wireless, so I bought a Sweex wireless router.
I connected the Sweex wireless router on the Sitecom broadband router
via the uplink port in the WAN-port of the wireless router. The browser
address to configure the Sitecom router is 192.168.62.1. I gave the
laptop a fixed IP-address (192.168.62.2) so no two DHCP servers are in
my network. I set the default gateway on 192.168.62.1 which is the
IP-address of the wireless router.
On my laptop I can see that the signal is excellent but I can´t ping my
wireless router with ping 192.168.62.1 (Page cannot be found) to
configure the wireless router...
My Sitecom router ´sees´ the wireless router and gives it the IP-address
192.168.0.8 with DHCP.
My questions are: what is the default gateway for the wireless router?
Is that the IP-address of the Sitecom router (192.168.0.1), the
IP-address the wireless router gets from my Sitecom router (192.168.0.8)
or the IP-address by default from the wireless router (192.168.62.1)?
Why is it not possible to ping the wireless router and configure it with
my browser?
Do I have to make a networkbridge in my laptop or is that not necessary?

I hope someone can help me.

Jack
3 answers Last reply
More about cable wireless network problem

    Hi Jack,

    Try these steps:

    First, disable the DHCP server on the wireless router and connect the
    wireless router to the LAN port of the wired router. Select the option to
    obtain an IP address automatically for the laptop.

    Now, connect the laptop wirelessly to the wireless router and the IP address
    for the laptop will be assigned by the wired router's DHCP through the
    wireless router.

    Also, ensure that the LAN ip range of the wireless router is inline with the
    wired router that is in 192.168.62.x

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    Venkatesh [MCSD] wrote:
    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > Try these steps:
    >
    > First, disable the DHCP server on the wireless router and connect the
    > wireless router to the LAN port of the wired router. Select the option to
    > obtain an IP address automatically for the laptop.
    >
    > Now, connect the laptop wirelessly to the wireless router and the IP address
    > for the laptop will be assigned by the wired router's DHCP through the
    > wireless router.
    >
    > Also, ensure that the LAN ip range of the wireless router is inline with the
    > wired router that is in 192.168.62.x
    >
    > HTH
    > Venkatesh
    >

    > "Jack" <l0n3_w012ph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>here´s my problem, I hope some one can help me.
    >>
    >>I have 5 computers in my homenetwork. They have a shared internet
    >>connection via a Sitecom 8 ports broadband router with DHCP. Everything
    >>works well. One of the computers though is a laptop and I´d like to have
    >>that one wireless, so I bought a Sweex wireless router.
    >>I connected the Sweex wireless router on the Sitecom broadband router
    >>via the uplink port in the WAN-port of the wireless router. The browser
    >>address to configure the Sitecom router is 192.168.62.1. I gave the
    >>laptop a fixed IP-address (192.168.62.2) so no two DHCP servers are in
    >>my network. I set the default gateway on 192.168.62.1 which is the
    >>IP-address of the wireless router.
    >>On my laptop I can see that the signal is excellent but I can´t ping my
    >>wireless router with ping 192.168.62.1 (Page cannot be found) to
    >>configure the wireless router...
    >>My Sitecom router ´sees´ the wireless router and gives it the IP-address
    >>192.168.0.8 with DHCP.
    >>My questions are: what is the default gateway for the wireless router?
    >>Is that the IP-address of the Sitecom router (192.168.0.1), the
    >>IP-address the wireless router gets from my Sitecom router (192.168.0.8)
    >>or the IP-address by default from the wireless router (192.168.62.1)?
    >>Why is it not possible to ping the wireless router and configure it with
    >>my browser?
    >>Do I have to make a networkbridge in my laptop or is that not necessary?
    >>
    >>I hope someone can help me.
    >>
    >>Jack

    Hi Venkatesh,

    thanks for your reaction! I tried some, but still have some questions.

    First: how do I disable the DHCP server on the wireless router if I
    cannot reach it in my browser (192.168.62.1)?

    My wireless router router is connected to one of my LAN ports on my
    wired router, so that is ok (Sitecom told me all ports can be used as
    uplink port). After that I selected the option to obtain an IP-address
    automatically. When I ran an ipconfig I got these results: automatically
    obtained IP: 169.254.37.229, subnetmask 255.255.0.0, Gateway: none. I
    tried to ping 169.254.37.229 and that worked out well. In my browser I
    coudn´t connect to 169.254.37.229...

    Your last remark was that the IP-range of the wireless router must be
    inline with the wired router (192.168.62.x), but my wired router has the
    IP-range 192.168.0.x. How do I fix that and why do I get such a astrange
    Ip-address automatically obtained? It is far from 192.168.x.x...

    Thanks again in advance!

    Jack

    Hi again Jack,

    To disable DHCP server on the wireless router, simply make a wired
    connection between the wireless router and the computer.
    Find out the IP address of the computer and also note down the default
    gateway [DG] . The DG would enable you to login to the router settings page.
    Now, open the browser and type in the IP address found next to the DG.
    If you have any problem, then follow the below steps:

    I am assuming your browser to be IE.

    Open IE -> Tools -> Internet Options.
    Click Connections tab and click Lan settings button.
    Make sure there are not check marks and click OK and OK again. Also, ensure
    that "Never dial a connection" option is checked.

    You may now try again by typing the IP address of the router in the address
    bar.

    If the problem persists, then try disabling any firewall on the computer or
    u may also try connecting the wireless router to a diff computer. Once you
    successfully login to the router settings page, then look for an option
    called DHCP or DHCP server and disable the same. For more information
    contact your router support.
    Like wise, change the IP address of the wireless router in range to that of
    the wired router, that is 192.168.0.x

    Once you are done performing the above steps, connect the wireless router to
    the LAN port of the wired router.

    Goto the wireless computer, and make sure that the wireless adapter is set
    to obtain an IP address automatically. Now, use the wireless utility to make
    a connection to the wireless router. If you are using Windows XP, then you
    may try making connection using the XP's wireless utility which can be
    accessed by following the below steps:

    * Click Start- Control panel - Network Connections - Right click on Wireless
    network connection icon and choose properties.
    * Choose Wireless networks tab and check the option "Use Windows to
    configure my wireless network settings" and hit the refresh button.
    * You should see the SSID of the wireless router in the available network
    box.

    If you encounter any problems, then try disabling firewall on the wireless
    computer for e.g zone alarm, Norton Internet
    security, Macfee etc.

    NOTE: Unsuccessful wireless connection will result in autoconfig IP address
    on the wireless computer and a successful connection will result in an IP
    address in line with the wired router.

> [...]
    >
    > First: how do I disable the DHCP server on the wireless router if I
    > cannot reach it in my browser (192.168.62.1)?
    >
    > My wireless router router is connected to one of my LAN ports on my
    > wired router, so that is ok (Sitecom told me all ports can be used as
    > uplink port). After that I selected the option to obtain an IP-address
    > automatically. When I ran an ipconfig I got these results: automatically
    > obtained IP: 169.254.37.229, subnetmask 255.255.0.0, Gateway: none. I
    > tried to ping 169.254.37.229 and that worked out well. In my browser I
    > coudn´t connect to 169.254.37.229...
    >
    > Your last remark was that the IP-range of the wireless router must be
    > inline with the wired router (192.168.62.x), but my wired router has the
    > IP-range 192.168.0.x. How do I fix that and why do I get such a astrange
    > Ip-address automatically obtained? It is far from 192.168.x.x...

Wireless Router Routers Wireless Network Sitecom Wireless Networking