Can i password protect my shared directories?

When I was using windows 98 I could assign passwords to shared directories
so access was based on a password.

I have upgraded to windows xp and can find no way to assign a password to a
shared resource. Can I do this? If not, then I am not happy with this so
called upgrade.

Malke

The P wrote:

> When I was using windows 98 I could assign passwords to shared
> directories so access was based on a password.
>
> I have upgraded to windows xp and can find no way to assign a password
> to a
> shared resource. Can I do this? If not, then I am not happy with
> this so called upgrade.

Operating systems that are more sophisticated than Win9x/ME such as
NT-based systems and *nix do not use password protection for folders.
They use user/group permissions. If you have XP Pro, you can create
user groups and then use the Group Policy Editor to set very
fine-grained permissions on those groups. If you have XP Home, you can
look at third-party software.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

If you are using the FAT file system , you are out of luck. The NTFS is much
more secure and allows for user or group permissions on file resources.

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> The P wrote:
>
>> When I was using windows 98 I could assign passwords to shared
>> directories so access was based on a password.
>>
>> I have upgraded to windows xp and can find no way to assign a password
>> to a
>> shared resource. Can I do this? If not, then I am not happy with
>> this so called upgrade.
>
> Operating systems that are more sophisticated than Win9x/ME such as
> NT-based systems and *nix do not use password protection for folders.
> They use user/group permissions. If you have XP Pro, you can create
> user groups and then use the Group Policy Editor to set very
> fine-grained permissions on those groups. If you have XP Home, you can
> look at third-party software.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
> The world is diminished without him.

I have win xp pro. How do I set up permissions for shared folders over my
network? I cannot see any users logged into other computers that can access
mine. This being so, I cannot set up any permissions evept for the detault
"everyone" or myself on this computer.

Cheers

Malke

The P wrote:

> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> The P wrote:
>>
>>> When I was using windows 98 I could assign passwords to shared
>>> directories so access was based on a password.
>>>
>>> I have upgraded to windows xp and can find no way to assign a
>>> password to a
>>> shared resource. Can I do this? If not, then I am not happy with
>>> this so called upgrade.
>>
>> Operating systems that are more sophisticated than Win9x/ME such as
>> NT-based systems and *nix do not use password protection for folders.
>> They use user/group permissions. If you have XP Pro, you can create
>> user groups and then use the Group Policy Editor to set very
>> fine-grained permissions on those groups. If you have XP Home, you
>> can look at third-party software.
>>

> I have win xp pro. How do I set up permissions for shared folders
> over my network? I cannot see any users logged into other computers
> that can access
> mine. This being so, I cannot set up any permissions evept for the
> detault "everyone" or myself on this computer.
>
> Cheers

I don't quite understand your post. In order to see the Security tab,
the following must exist:

a. The drive must be NTFS
b. In Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'. That is
the level used in Home, and for some strange reason is on by default in
Pro, too.

That said, if you want more help then please post back with a clear
description of your network setup, how many computers are involved and
what operating systems, if you are using a domain or workgroup, and
what you have done to create shares. What is your end goal? To have
only some users be able to access resources on your computer and not
others?

In the meantime, here are some links that will help you set up sharing:

(Pro)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
an existing network

Malke
--

The P wrote:

> I have win xp pro. How do I set up permissions for shared folders over my
> network? I cannot see any users logged into other computers that can access
> mine. This being so, I cannot set up any permissions evept for the detault
> "everyone" or myself on this computer.
>
> Cheers

On the WinXP computer, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Have the other users log on to the other PCs using those
account(s), and they will be able to access the designated shares,
provided your network is configured properly.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

If you have your network setup as a domain, then you will see the other user
accounts (because accounts are not specific to any client machine in this
setup). If you have a peer-to-peer network (you use a Workgroup rather than
a Domain), then the user accounts must be created on each machine.