Bypassing WIN XP Home login

I have been surfing on the net and I have found that there are software
packages that can defeat MS Office security settings (similar for Adobe PDF
files) so people without the passwords could actually access the files. This
got me thinking...

can the standard windows xp home login be bypassed similiarly so hackers or
police can access my computer even if they don't know the login password?

is this also a problem with xp pro?

thanks

If someone has unrestricted access to a computer they also have access to
everything on the computer.
An exception may be made for encrypted data.
This is not a weakness of Windows or even Microsoft operating system.
This is true for all operating systems.

There is no security without physical security.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"windows314" <windows314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been surfing on the net and I have found that there are software
> packages that can defeat MS Office security settings (similar for Adobe
> PDF
> files) so people without the passwords could actually access the files.
> This
> got me thinking...
>
> can the standard windows xp home login be bypassed similiarly so hackers
> or
> police can access my computer even if they don't know the login password?
>
> is this also a problem with xp pro?
>
> thanks

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

anyone with physical access to a computer can get to any data on the
machine.