Cat 4.10 and monitor recognition

I have an AIW 9600 Pro on XP Home (Amd Sempron 2400+, ASRock K7S41GX,
512 MB). I also have a ViewSonic G771 and an AcerView 34T.

Installing either Cat Control Centre (CCC) 4.9 or 4.10 drivers caused
the Acer monitor to drop off the hardware list altogether, thus
rendering useless the dual-monitor features of the card. No amount of
trying to install hardware, etc., would get that monitor back on the
list of installed hardware.

Under Cat 4.8, the ViewSonic is correctly identified (as it is under 4.9
and 4.10) but the Acer is identified as a default monitor. I realize
these monitors are both quite old but they're still functional so I
expect them to work. Regardless of how the Acer was identified, the
dual monitor functions worked just fine. Indeed, I was able to replace
"default monitor" with the proper Acer monitor manually by telling
Windows which monitor it actually was. There was no difference in
performance, however, between "default" and "Acer". Suffice to say, it
worked.

Under 4.9 and 4.10, the secondary display abilities of the AIW 9600 are
recognized but there's no monitor to apply them to.

I reported this bug to ATI.

Any suggestions on how to get the second monitor back? And no, there's
no .inf file to find. Searching the Acer site produces no results
because this monitor is so old.

Reformhead wrote:

> I have an AIW 9600 Pro on XP Home (Amd Sempron 2400+, ASRock K7S41GX,
> 512 MB). I also have a ViewSonic G771 and an AcerView 34T.
>
> Installing either Cat Control Centre (CCC) 4.9 or 4.10 drivers caused
> the Acer monitor to drop off the hardware list altogether, thus
> rendering useless the dual-monitor features of the card. No amount of
> trying to install hardware, etc., would get that monitor back on the
> list of installed hardware.
>
> Under Cat 4.8, the ViewSonic is correctly identified (as it is under 4.9
> and 4.10) but the Acer is identified as a default monitor. I realize
> these monitors are both quite old but they're still functional so I
> expect them to work. Regardless of how the Acer was identified, the
> dual monitor functions worked just fine. Indeed, I was able to replace
> "default monitor" with the proper Acer monitor manually by telling
> Windows which monitor it actually was. There was no difference in
> performance, however, between "default" and "Acer". Suffice to say, it
> worked.
>
> Under 4.9 and 4.10, the secondary display abilities of the AIW 9600 are
> recognized but there's no monitor to apply them to.
>
> I reported this bug to ATI.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get the second monitor back? And no, there's
> no .inf file to find. Searching the Acer site produces no results
> because this monitor is so old.

I have the same problem.

I have 2 monitors connected to AIW 9600 PRO: a Sony CD-200GST and a
Philips 107MB, both have DDC for plug and play settings. Never managed
to get the Philips automatically recognized as plug-and play monitor, it
always reported as a default monitor. With the Sony no problem. Swapping
VGA1 and VGA2 doesn't help. With a monitor asset program,
http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/moninfo.shtm , I was able to test the
correct DDC reporting ability of the Philips. No idea why it doens't
work with the driver...
So fixed this by installing a .inf file for the Philips monitor...

That was all with my "old" catalyst 3.8, driver version 6.14.10.6462.

But after installation of the catalyst 4.10, it is totally impossible to
detect the existance of a second monitor! Tried different things (E.G.
with or without the CCC), swapping monitors... nothing helped. Looks
like that driver has a serious bug in the dual-monitor feature.

Finally only solution was stepping back to 3.8 ....

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:28:27 +0200, he <he@nospam.be> wrote:

>Reformhead wrote:
>
>> I have an AIW 9600 Pro on XP Home (Amd Sempron 2400+, ASRock K7S41GX,
>> 512 MB). I also have a ViewSonic G771 and an AcerView 34T.
>>
>> Installing either Cat Control Centre (CCC) 4.9 or 4.10 drivers caused
>> the Acer monitor to drop off the hardware list altogether, thus
>> rendering useless the dual-monitor features of the card. No amount of
>> trying to install hardware, etc., would get that monitor back on the
>> list of installed hardware.
>>
>> Under Cat 4.8, the ViewSonic is correctly identified (as it is under 4.9
>> and 4.10) but the Acer is identified as a default monitor. I realize
>> these monitors are both quite old but they're still functional so I
>> expect them to work. Regardless of how the Acer was identified, the
>> dual monitor functions worked just fine. Indeed, I was able to replace
>> "default monitor" with the proper Acer monitor manually by telling
>> Windows which monitor it actually was. There was no difference in
>> performance, however, between "default" and "Acer". Suffice to say, it
>> worked.
>>
>> Under 4.9 and 4.10, the secondary display abilities of the AIW 9600 are
>> recognized but there's no monitor to apply them to.
>>
>> I reported this bug to ATI.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to get the second monitor back? And no, there's
>> no .inf file to find. Searching the Acer site produces no results
>> because this monitor is so old.
>
>I have the same problem.
>
>I have 2 monitors connected to AIW 9600 PRO: a Sony CD-200GST and a
>Philips 107MB, both have DDC for plug and play settings. Never managed
>to get the Philips automatically recognized as plug-and play monitor, it
>always reported as a default monitor. With the Sony no problem. Swapping
>VGA1 and VGA2 doesn't help. With a monitor asset program,
>http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/moninfo.shtm , I was able to test the
>correct DDC reporting ability of the Philips. No idea why it doens't
>work with the driver...
>So fixed this by installing a .inf file for the Philips monitor...
>
>That was all with my "old" catalyst 3.8, driver version 6.14.10.6462.
>
>But after installation of the catalyst 4.10, it is totally impossible to
>detect the existance of a second monitor! Tried different things (E.G.
>with or without the CCC), swapping monitors... nothing helped. Looks
>like that driver has a serious bug in the dual-monitor feature.
>
>Finally only solution was stepping back to 3.8 ....

Hi:

ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP retail (Cat4.10)
DV-I: Monitor #1 Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black 21.3" TFT
VGA: Monitor #2 ViewSonic P225f 22" Aperture Grille CRT
WindowsXP HE SP2 clean slipstream

Although I have the latest ICM files installed, I still have to
manually install them as both monitors come up as Plug and Play after
a Catalyst update.
This is what I do:
At Display Properties >Monitor #1 >Advanced >Monitor >if monitor
unnamed >Properties >Driver >Update Driver >select Install from a list
or specific location [Advanced] >Next >select Don't search. I will
choose the driver to install. >Next >uncheck Show compatible hardware
>select Samsung from Mfr list and SyncMaster213T from Model list >
NEXT >ignore warning and install anyway and OK way out.

At Display Properties >Monitor #2 >Advanced >Monitor >if monitor
unnamed >Properties > Driver >Update Driver >select Install from a
list or specific location [Advanced] >Next >Select Don't search. I
will choose the driver to install. >Next >uncheck Show compatible
hardware >select ViewSonic from mfr list and P225f (latest) from Model
list >NEXT >ignore warning and install anyway and OK way out.

Just use your mfr/model numbers

Even if you haven't installed an ICM, the database may have it.

Happy trails,

TRENDING THREADS