  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 16, 2004 10:22:18 PM

I have a lovely Viewsonic LCD VG-150 that has run beautifully on Win98 for
several years (Pentium 3, ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro AGP 32MB, 512MB Ram). I
recently upgraded it to Windows XP Pro.

The LCD now only displays 640X480 and will not go to anything larger, as it did
before.

I have tried several newer Viewsonic drivers and some newer ATI MultiMedia
Centers....to no avail. Still stuck with 640X480.

Can you help? Thanks.

More about : lcd resolution older aiw

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 12:49:41 AM

"Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have a lovely Viewsonic LCD VG-150 that has run beautifully on Win98 for
> several years (Pentium 3, ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro AGP 32MB, 512MB Ram).
> recently upgraded it to Windows XP Pro.
>
> The LCD now only displays 640X480 and will not go to anything larger, as
it did
> before.
>
> I have tried several newer Viewsonic drivers and some newer ATI MultiMedia
> Centers....to no avail. Still stuck with 640X480.
>
> Can you help? Thanks.

Are the Display Drivers correctly installed? Check Device Manger for red X
or yellow!.
Did you install the Display Drivers from ATI website. MMC is just the
mutimedia software. Has nothing to do with monitor resolution.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 3:15:23 AM

>Are the Display Drivers correctly installed? Check Device Manger for red X
>or yellow!.
>Did you install the Display Drivers from ATI website. MMC is just the
>mutimedia software. Has nothing to do with monitor resolution.

Thanks very much. I have located the driver and appropriate MMC at the ATI
site and will be installing them. Thank you.
October 17, 2004 9:19:16 PM

First of all, ATI multimedia center is not a driver, it's just an
"applications" program, like Microsoft Office. Granted, it accesses the
hardware, but, again, it's not a driver.

Your problem is the wrong drivers for the ATI card, but it's the drivers
that are at issue, not MMC.

One other possiblity, some monitors can't be recognized by the drivers
due to incompatability of their "DDC" (ddc=display data channel"). But
this problem normally is not OS specific.

Also, I don't think that the AIW 128 is supported by XP. I believe that
the oldest supported AIW card is the original AIW Radeon (the one with
32k). This problem not withstanding, I would upgrade the video card to
a "Radeon series" AIW.

Sam Ormes wrote:

> I have a lovely Viewsonic LCD VG-150 that has run beautifully on Win98 for
> several years (Pentium 3, ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro AGP 32MB, 512MB Ram). I
> recently upgraded it to Windows XP Pro.
>
> The LCD now only displays 640X480 and will not go to anything larger, as it did
> before.
>
> I have tried several newer Viewsonic drivers and some newer ATI MultiMedia
> Centers....to no avail. Still stuck with 640X480.
>
> Can you help? Thanks.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:18:19 PM

Also, I don't think that the AIW 128 is supported by XP. I believe that
the oldest supported AIW card is the original AIW Radeon (the one with
32k). This problem not withstanding, I would upgrade the video card to
a "Radeon series" AIW.

Watzman....thank you for the thoughtful reply. It does appear that my older
AIW card is supported for XP, although I haven't tried this driver download
yet.

RAGE 128 PRO Windows XP Display Drivers

What I didn't mention in my posting is that when I first installed XP Pro the
LCD worked fine. It wasn't until I downloaded and installed SP2 that it went
bad. I uninstalled SP2 but that didn't bring it back to where I had it.

I will let you know how it goes. Many thanks again for the nice reply.
!